Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 73125 times)

Gypsy

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #3225 on: August 06, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
Oh, my God.  Wild Woody makes me want to stick actual pencils in my eyes.  :[

And Awesome Possum... it doesn't run at 15 fps... just going by the video, it has 2 identical frames, then 3, then 2, 3, etc... that comes to 12 frames per second.

Thanks Joe and Dave, you reminded me of the hatred I had for US-developed Genesis games during the 90s...  it's a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.  :|

Ha. I didn't even know about that Socket turd.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3226 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
Tude 'em up!

Great pun! Great episode. That wacky camere movement! Lol.

EDIT: The choppy scrolling of Awesome Possum brings back memories of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure on DOS PC, where the screen scrolling is tile based or something like that. Wikipedia says about Cosmo
(...) parallax scrolling, this feature came at the cost of the game's frame rate, moving the graphics in increments of 8 pixels (the size of one game tile) instead of 1 pixel.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure#Implementation
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:25:09 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Michirin9801

« Reply #3227 on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:47 AM »
(...) parallax scrolling, this feature came at the cost of the game's frame rate, moving the graphics in increments of 8 pixels (the size of one game tile) instead of 1 pixel.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure#Implementation
That's the same thing they did in Ys III, but I didn't mind the choppy scrolling in that game, I guess playing a lot of PC-98 and 88 action games made me tolerant towards this kind of scrolling...
There's literally no reason to do that on the Mega Drive though, that was just s*** coding, but I'd only expect as much from Tengen...

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3228 on: August 07, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »
I was able to beat Cosmo in the mid 90s. The choppy scrolling was a bit annoying when you knew that earlier PC games (e.g. Commander Keen Secret of the Oracle) and systems (hell, even the NES) could do way better. But still, at least this wasn't slowdown, the game ran just fine and was reacting quick to your inputs, just as it should. Plus, having parallax scrolling in a DOS game at all was mindblowing, and I did not realize until today that Cosmo ran in 16 color EGA mode - to me as a kid it must have looked like rather 256 color VGA instead. But then, both Keen SotO and Cosmo did some nice spritework and level design to hide their EGA limitations.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

TR0N

« Reply #3229 on: August 19, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ccovell

« Reply #3230 on: August 20, 2017, 04:08:41 AM »
A fun episode, and yeah, it is always nostalgic & therapeutic to pick up any old magazine, whether good or bad.

Winniez

« Reply #3231 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »
Absolutely love the 'tude episode, in gaming and even outside of gaming I have found the lack of the 90s 'tude parodies disturbing.

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #3232 on: August 25, 2017, 02:46:47 AM »
I wish I still had all the issues of Gamepro and EGM I once owned. I was impressed that your originals were still in such good condition.

My magazines were destroyed after a year from toting them to friends houses, carrying them in the backpack back and forth from school, and looking through them a bazillion times.

If the cover ever came off, which seemed to happen often on gamepro, the pages would eventually go too, one by one.

Great episode though. Seeing some of those covers and ads brought back some fond memories.

Bloufo

« Reply #3233 on: September 02, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
The TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine - Review - Part 2  Someone embed the vid for me. Can't seem to do it from this side.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:14:15 AM by NightWolve »

ccovell

« Reply #3234 on: September 03, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »
When you change the "https://" to "http://", videos can be embedded.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3235 on: September 03, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
Looks like someone had some fun showing off their collection in that one :)

TR0N

« Reply #3236 on: September 03, 2017, 09:07:41 PM »
It didn't add much what was cover all ready in the last one for the TG16.Still i was reading the comments and a person complain joe is ruining the TG16 market wtf !?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

gex

« Reply #3237 on: September 04, 2017, 02:40:04 AM »
i was reading the comments and a person complain joe is ruining the TG16 market wtf !?
Yeah idk, that seems to be more the case with big Youtubers. When they shed light on something obscure, and hype it up in their review.
These guys though? Idk, kind of doubt it. Most bandwagons gaymers only have the attention span of 15 minutes though, so consider anything after last alert safe.

Gypsy

« Reply #3238 on: September 04, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »
I think I got cancer reading that comment exchange.

esteban

« Reply #3239 on: September 04, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »
i was reading the comments and a person complain joe is ruining the TG16 market wtf !?
Yeah idk, that seems to be more the case with big Youtubers. When they shed light on something obscure, and hype it up in their review.
These guys though? Idk, kind of doubt it. Most bandwagons gaymers only have the attention span of 15 minutes though, so consider anything after last alert safe.

hahahhahahahhaha!

The line of the week: "...so consider anything after Last Alert safe"

Perfect.
  |    |