Author Topic: Would you rather have....  (Read 1991 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Would you rather have....
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
And then monkies fly out of your ass, right? There is no f*cking way in hell that is going to happen.
I honestly don't see why not. The required RAM chips for this are relatively cheap, and the ACD system card has already been disassembled.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
I am thinking the target market for HuCards is frikking TINY.  Because lets face it, they will cost more than the NES/Sega/SNES homebrew carts due to the pain in the assedness of assembling a lowprofile card.  I'd have to charge more to make it even worth doing.  Even breaking even will be like WTF?!?  :-/

I have a few connections that can actually do it right, but the thing is, tooling a card mold isn't exactly cheap.  I'd be fronting money under the assumption I would sell that many to recoup just the mold costs...  The mold cost to get a nice shell (Street Fighter 2 card style!) is pretty steep.  Talk about gamblin'.

Now, the other alternative is a semi-ghetto hand-made with custom case edition.  We'd already planned something like this with the multiplayer-80s-throwback cards .     Here is the video, to those who missed it.

I have at least 3 ways myself that I know of that would at least coat the card and protect the metal/rom.  It sure won't look nice. But it'll do.

It really is looking like in the future, a small batch of hand made cards is what is going to happen.  And it will have Asteroids, Light Cycles, Pong, Insanity Death Match, and something else I always forget about, all on one card, as a 1980s Throwback extravaganza.

Maybe a PCEFX exclusive! Yeah right, that would piss a ton of people off.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

vestcoat

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »
I'd pay at least $60 for a shitty game on hucard (and I'm sure it wouldn't be shitty  :)

Arkhan - you're the only one crazy enough to pull this off.  If you don't do it, no one ever will.  So yeah, you should do it.  

I don't think Blue has modded every NEC console in existence yet, so one downside is that you'll either have to pick region compatibility or make two versions.

Here are some pros:
1)  No one else has done it.  A series of Hucard releases may not be commercially viable, but anyone who doesn't have their head stuck in the sand will go out and buy "the first hucard released in twenty years!!!"  Especially considering...
2)  There are a lot of collectors these days and the difference between a $30 CD and a pricy hucard doesn't mean much to them.  Neither does a game's merit.  Just look at all of the idiots trying to track down a copy of Local Girls of Hawaii.  Someone even sold their Meteor Blaster SE for $250 on ebay a couple years ago. Other collectors will buy two copies just so they can keep one in shrinkwrap.
3)  There's been a growing appreciation for chip tunes these days and you're known for making good ones.  Appeal to those interested in hearing chip tunes coming off a real chip.
4)  Your TurboLink idea was a good one.  I bought extra copies of Bomberman 93 and Falcon just so I could see this rare feature in action and their Turbolink modes suck.  If you made a Turbolink mode that's actually playable and offered a discount on multiple orders, I'm sure people would buy more.
5)  Finally, look into Kickstarter.  It's a lot more graceful than preorders and you can test the waters before fronting all of the money yourself.

You'll definitely have to step up your promotion and maybe find some online vendors/distributors willing to stock the game, but I think a hucard is viable as long as the price isn't completely outrageous.  

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
And then monkies fly out of your ass, right? There is no f*cking way in hell that is going to happen.
I honestly don't see why not. The required RAM chips for this are relatively cheap, and the ACD system card has already been disassembled.

Oh, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it won't be done. This is a scene where it takes forever to make anything happen, people delay and bail out on shit 99 times out of every 100 projects announced. It takes years just to translate a game with two pages of text. In this world, who is going to actually finish something that requires an ultra rare, home made system update when people aren't even able to use the standard System Cards with much proficiency? Nobody, that's who.

I'm not saying I don't want one of these things, I'm not saying I won't buy one, but I'm not sure how many other people will, knowing that I will never be exploited.

What might actually work: a card that allows users to run standard PCE ROMs off a CD. Like a working version of the SuperHuCard. If the card did that, then it could survive on it's own and it would be worth more than just a knicknack for playing a half dozen demos on.

nectarsis

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

nodtveidt

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
Yep. I put it on hold because of finances and work with software, but it's still in the back of my mind.

henrycsc

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »
If given a choice - Hueys.
I see everyone's comments as to the cons, but if it can be done, a homebrew hu would be incredible!

I would also recommend using the PCE region since US systems can play with a converter without having to be region modded.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

nodtveidt

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Hucards would be awesome, if only for the virtually unlimited size you could really give them... though really, having virtually immediate access to all the data at once is really nice. I could have done MSR on hucard, and though it wouldn't have had such nice cutscenes or such nice music, it would have eliminated a TON of the issues that the CD version has had.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
I'd pay at least $60 for a shitty game on hucard (and I'm sure it wouldn't be shitty  :)
Well, I thought about Atlantean as a Huey release, but I can't justify that one single game on a HuCard.  The multiplayer 80s throwback is still stretching it too.   It's a starting point, but even a starting point is going to cost a shitload.   Of all the Retrocade games, I see Atlantean as the best idea for a standalone huey.  It's a actiony shooter game.

Arkhan - you're the only one crazy enough to pull this off.  If you don't do it, no one ever will.  So yeah, you should do it.  
The credit doesn't all go to me.  If this goes down as planned, OldMan and a few other people will also be involved.  If you think I'm crazy, OldMan is even more crazy... :)   I blame insanity for our success.

Oh, and Insanity too, I guess.   ;)

I don't think Blue has modded every NEC console in existence yet, so one downside is that you'll either have to pick region compatibility or make two versions.
Won't need two versions.  We've got 2 ways to take care of that dilemma.

Here are some pros:
1)  No one else has done it.  A series of Hucard releases may not be commercially viable, but anyone who doesn't have their head stuck in the sand will go out and buy "the first hucard released in twenty years!!!"  Especially considering...
This is my thought as well.  I am skeptical still... but yeah!   That's why I want the first wave to be done right so when people look back they can go "Well, f*ck!  Look at that!"

2)  There are a lot of collectors these days and the difference between a $30 CD and a pricy hucard doesn't mean much to them.  Neither does a game's merit.  Just look at all of the idiots trying to track down a copy of Local Girls of Hawaii.  Someone even sold their Meteor Blaster SE for $250 on ebay a couple years ago. Other collectors will buy two copies just so they can keep one in shrinkwrap.
Id rather play into the hands of normal people.  As such, f*ck shrink wrapping.  Insanity wasn't shrinked for a reason.  No dickhead can RoyVegas a sealed copy for 4300$ in 10 years claming its the raer epic only sealed one ever, because they were never shrinked, ever.

3)  There's been a growing appreciation for chip tunes these days and you're known for making good ones.  Appeal to those interested in hearing chip tunes coming off a real chip.
Well, Insanity has chiptunes playing off the chip, :)  You can do chiptunes with the CD :).   But yea, I see your point.  No CD audio/sound possible with a HuCard.  Whole game, 100% chiptunes.  Though,the retrocade is moving that way right now anyways.    The chip sounds make them have more charm to me.

4)  Your TurboLink idea was a good one.  I bought extra copies of Bomberman 93 and Falcon just so I could see this rare feature in action and their Turbolink modes suck.  If you made a Turbolink mode that's actually playable and offered a discount on multiple orders, I'm sure people would buy more.
That was actually OldMan's idea!  I just supplied the test hardware/games and let him run with it.  

5)  Finally, look into Kickstarter.  It's a lot more graceful than preorders and you can test the waters before fronting all of the money yourself.
Hmmm.  I'll look into it :)

You'll definitely have to step up your promotion and maybe find some online vendors/distributors willing to stock the game, but I think a hucard is viable as long as the price isn't completely outrageous.  

I tried promoting Insanity and Insanity X.  Most places don't give a shit.  It's lame.  Kotaku pulled my posts and marked them irrelevant.  f*ck Kotaku!

I am betting a HuCard will cost around 50$ to buy once it is finished, and that barely involves any kickback for Aetherbyte.  Crazy.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:43:26 PM by Arkhan »

nodtveidt

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
Kotaku sucks shit through a straw.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »

WOW!  And that's not easy to do!  I give them a D for Determination atleast!!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »

I actually own this actual thing:

It was a "bonus" with a special issue of exp magazine.

nodtveidt

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 02:06:38 AM »
I demand one.  Now.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
This is a scene where it takes forever to make anything happen, people delay and bail out on shit 99 times out of every 100 projects announced.

It's also a scene where too many people sit on the sidelines and bitch about what others are doing rather than being supportive or offering to help.

What might actually work: a card that allows users to run standard PCE ROMs off a CD. Like a working version of the SuperHuCard. If the card did that, then it could survive on it's own and it would be worth more than just a knicknack for playing a half dozen demos on.

Yeah, that's much more useful than a flash cart.  Why load unmolested roms directly to a flash cart when you can hack 'em, burn 'em to a disc, and then load 'em through your console?  f*ck yeah, that'd be hardcore!!!!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles