Author Topic: Anyone hacked Exile 2 to fix the difficulty?  (Read 1600 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Anyone hacked Exile 2 to fix the difficulty?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »
That sounds like the obnoxious bitches in the undersea cave.

Mishran

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
That sounds like the obnoxious bitches in the undersea cave.
Ah, shit... Yes your right. Show how much I pay attention. #-o

nat

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
The game (US ver) is actually not really all that difficult at all, save for a boss or two. It's just that every enemy takes 37 hits, while they can take you out in like 3. Once you realize this, and like Rover said, remember what enemies show up where, the game isn't anything more than tedious.

EDIT: Ironically, I said almost the exact same thing two months ago in this very thread:

Exile II (US) comes off as really difficult at first, but then you realize that it's just that each enemy requires 157 hits to defeat. Once you realize this, the game isn't really all that hard. It's unnecessarily annoying, lengthy, and inane but only challenging in that you have to find the will within yourself to keep pressing on.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:39:59 PM by nat »

spenoza

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
So, fixing that would still improve the game, despite your intent to suggest otherwise?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nodtveidt

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 06:26:59 PM »
Restoring it to the original form would make the US version... actually fun.

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
Oh... and getting past those bitches in the undersea cave is easy as pie if you use Rumi instead of Sadler. I usually just use her for the cave, until I get to the boss... then I switch back to Sadler, coz he can handle it better (though Rumi is good for that boss fight too, if you're not already used to the prick of a boss down there).

nat

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
So, fixing that would still improve the game, despite your intent to suggest otherwise?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.

I wasn't saying anything about fixing the game or not fixing the game, I was only pointing out (since people like to cry about its "difficulty") that the US version really isn't all that difficult. There's a big difference between difficulty and tedium.

I don't think there's any debate that WD screwed things up big time.

Mishran

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
I wasn't saying anything about fixing the game or not fixing the game, I was only pointing out (since people like to cry about its "difficulty") that the US version really isn't all that difficult. There's a big difference between difficulty and tedium.

You have to also remember that everyone is different. Some people make a better "gamer" than others. Not to mention the fact that some people have more time to devote to honing their gaming skills than others. Some people are also better suited to certain games than others. (I've completed Gears of War 1 on insane, 1 player, without dying even once, for example.) Hell, the first time through, most people would find WP difficult, but the third play through could be a cake walk once you get adapted to the game.

As you said, the enemies taking 37 hits while being able to kill you in 3 hit? I would consider that raising the difficulty bar up a bit. That is also only my personal opinion though.

jperryss

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 02:52:33 AM »

You have to also remember that everyone is different. Some people make a better "gamer" than others. Not to mention the fact that some people have more time to devote to honing their gaming skills than others. Some people are also better suited to certain games than others. (I've completed Gears of War 1 on insane, 1 player, without dying even once, for example.) Hell, the first time through, most people would find WP difficult, but the third play through could be a cake walk once you get adapted to the game.

As you said, the enemies taking 37 hits while being able to kill you in 3 hit? I would consider that raising the difficulty bar up a bit. That is also only my personal opinion though.

Right. It's like saying "shooter X is no harder than shooter Y, it's just that shooter X has 10X more enemies and half as many powerups."

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
The game (US ver) is actually not really all that difficult at all, save for a boss or two. It's just that every enemy takes 37 hits, while they can take you out in like 3. Once you realize this, and like Rover said, remember what enemies show up where, the game isn't anything more than tedious.

EDIT: Ironically, I said almost the exact same thing two months ago in this very thread:

Exile II (US) comes off as really difficult at first, but then you realize that it's just that each enemy requires 157 hits to defeat. Once you realize this, the game isn't really all that hard. It's unnecessarily annoying, lengthy, and inane but only challenging in that you have to find the will within yourself to keep pressing on.

Next time you post about it, you'll have defeated the enemy, right?

:) 157 hits, then 37! Next is 0, meaning you win!

I thought the game was easy.

But, I play alot of games that require far more tedium, so this was just common to me.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:04:34 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Mishran

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »
I've made it far into the Ark once so far today. :dance: The tower keeps kicking my bum. Stupid pitchfork carrying bats suck. Can you even harm the dragons? Only time I seem to be able to harm/kill them is after they already killed me! That's what they get for humping Sadler's dead body. Way to go dragons! :clap:

What was with that red monster on the wall? I couldn't seem to even harm it with Lawrence. It killed(?) him, I saved, and I just kept playing. Did I make a mistake?

spenoza

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
Increasing the number of required hits DOES make the game harder, even as it makes it more tedious. Why? Because you have to hit the enemy far more times, while managing not to get hit by the other enemies around you at the same time. That makes it harder. You may not have found it particularly hard, but that's still harder than the Japanese original.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nodtveidt

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
I've made it far into the Ark once so far today. :dance: The tower keeps kicking my bum. Stupid pitchfork carrying bats suck.
Use Rumi to attack them from a distance. If their health is restored each time they circle, scroll a bit more in. They're stupid.

Can you even harm the dragons? Only time I seem to be able to harm/kill them is after they already killed me! That's what they get for humping Sadler's dead body. Way to go dragons! :clap:
The dragons are invincible. Just avoid them. Sucker them into falling to the ground, and then you can just stroll along to the door... but make sure they follow you, or else you'll run into their respawns.

What was with that red monster on the wall? I couldn't seem to even harm it with Lawrence. It killed(?) him, I saved, and I just kept playing. Did I make a mistake?
Do-Tar is unkillable in the Lawrence scene. You did it right.

See, once you figure out how to deal with each enemy, it's just a matter of paying attention. That's why I can hardcore spank this game.

nat

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
Right. It's like saying "shooter X is no harder than shooter Y, it's just that shooter X has 10X more enemies and half as many powerups."

But it doesn't have half as many powerups, or 10 times as many enemies, so it's really not the same at all.

Increasing the number of required hits DOES make the game harder, even as it makes it more tedious. Why? Because you have to hit the enemy far more times, while managing not to get hit by the other enemies around you at the same time. That makes it harder. You may not have found it particularly hard, but that's still harder than the Japanese original.

You would? So wrapping a rubber band around your controller's II button and walking away while your player hacks away at the enemy is difficult? I guess, if it's a long walk to the kitchen to make that sandwich.

They didn't alter the AI at all. Maybe my definition of "difficulty" is different than everyone else's, but difficult for me involves faster, smarter enemies, tricky platforming segments, puzzles, that sort of thing. Changing a number that alters the required number of hits to kill an enemy doesn't make a game any more difficult, unless other factors are also changed that put the player in immediate peril. Does it make it longer? Sure. Tedious? You bet. Difficult? Not in my book.

Mishran

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
dif·fi·cult
   adjective
      1. not easily or readily done; requiring much labor, skill, or planning to be performed successfully