Author Topic: av switches  (Read 762 times)

Chuplayer

Re: av switches
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
Are there any decent s-video switchers out there?
I'd be more concerned about decent TVs with S-Video these days.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
I'm using the same switcher that was sold at EB Games, GameStop, Funco, and a bunch of other places in the early 2000s for all my s-video sources. It's worked perfectly so far.

For component I use a fully electronic switcher from Monoprice. It was mad cheap, and even came with a remote. Astoundingly, it works perfectly. I assume this is because it's IC-based.

A medium end late 90s AV receiver will have as many as six s-video jacks or more. They usually do a great job, plus the have remotes. Check Craigslist.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
I'd be more concerned about decent TVs with S-Video these days.

There aren't any CRTs being made anymore so whether something new has s-video on it or not is irrelevant. It's going to look like shit anyway.

roflmao

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-SVS1000-S-Video-Switch/dp/B000031WCH

Pictured here (the top one):

I've had it since the late 90's and it's always been good to me.  Right now I'm using only the RCA ports since my current tube tv accepts only composite OR s-video and if I have both plugged in the universe explodes.  But in the past I've had multiple s-video consoles plugged into it and it worked like a charm.  Some of my previous switchers have acted funny (particularly once from Radio Shack purchased ages ago), but this one has always been reliable.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:17:43 PM by roflmao »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
I've known people who had both of those boxes and neither was an issue.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
OK cool, I'll keep an eye out for those.

Planning on picking up a used CRT for my gaming needs when I get back in to the states. Probably this particular Toshiba model.

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »
Ok, I ordered 2 of the 8's and a 4 port component switch for my xbox 360 and ps3. I will let you know how it works out.

vestcoat

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »

It this your setup?  Funny because I have the same Madcatz selector sitting on top of a speaker next to the same DVD remote:

The Madcatz selector is OK.  The thing on top of it is a recent ebay purchase.  It's cheap and has a couple s-video inputs, but the selector dial has been finicky since day one -- you get what you pay for.

Here's my cheatsheet:

With three inputs on my stereo receiver, the two on the TV, and two switchers, I have almost all of my systems hooked up simultaneously.  My Duo gets priority, going straight to the receiver and on to the TV. 

By no means. The more low end the signal the more sensitive it is to bullshit. A bad switch box can MURDER a composite signal. By daisy chaining two of these things some unlucky systems might end up sending their poor composite signal through the OEM cables, then through a shitty switch, then through a standard interlink cable, then through another box, then another cable, then the TV. It might work fine, but I wouldn't count on it. There will be signal degradation for sure.

+1.  RCA phono cables are bad enough and AV selectors are even worse.  Unbalanced signals are especially vulnerable to interference from spdif and digital cables that cross their path.  Keep your analog cables short, discreet, and avoid the running them through extra slave-labor soldering.

roflmao

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »
It this your setup?  Funny because I have the same Madcatz selector sitting on top of a speaker next to the same DVD remote:

That's funny!  Great minds think alike. :mrgreen:

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:54:41 AM »
Finally got around to posting pics of this setup.
It works great, all I have to do is push a few buttons to switch between systems. I mounted power strips to the shelves too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:56:46 AM by 77FordTruckMan »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 05:08:04 AM »
Holy shit what a rat's nest. If someone accidentally yanks on a cord too hard you're going to have a plastic avalanche!

Seriously, there is no way you can use that many systems more than once a month. The SNES, assuming you have enough controller cord extensions to actually reach you, is going to have both of its controller cords hanging down in front of the display. The IFU is scuffing the top of the TG-16. Also, you have way too many Halo games. :)

Seriously, less is more. Bring out the Selectavision when you actually want to watch things on it. Otherwise its just collecting mountains of dust %99.9 of the time is out.

soop

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 05:10:28 AM »
Well it's too late now, but I was in a similar situation...

Personally I think the composite on the PC Engine is just fine, but I was getting annoyed with swapping the composite around - especially as my PC Engine ones are flakey (need some new ones I think).

Anyway, after a cable blowout, and replacing my old 360 with an HDMI model, I'm closer to getting a port for everything on the back of my TV;

360 - HDMI
Wii - Component
Core Grafx/Super CD - Phono
SuperGrafx ^ uses same Cable
SNES - RGB scart (when it's working properly)
N64 - ^ same cable
Megadrive - Scart RGB (so need a scart splitter)
PS2 - non RGB scart (only gets used for singstar!)
Dreamcast - VGA, when I get the cable.

The Famicom, if I ever get the AV mod working, will use the phono port too, but I might just stick it on another TV anyway.  But that sets me up so that pretty much everything but the PS2 is running at its optimal quality video, should be fairly tidy, and everything just needs to be turned on and switched to the right channel.

I think I might go for one of the crappy RGB switches that route the signal without a switch, just so I don't have to press another button.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:01 AM »
I doubt your TV has phono inputs on it, but even if it did the sound would be so overdriven it would sound like a Squarepusher track or something.

soop

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 05:42:22 AM »
I doubt your TV has phono inputs on it, but even if it did the sound would be so overdriven it would sound like a Squarepusher track or something.

Me?  I'm interchanging "AV" "RCA" and "phono" to mean the same thing, even if it's a little erronius.  Obviously AV is just Audio/Visual, which could actually be SCART too for example.  RCA and phono are just different names for the same jack.

*edit* in fact, component uses RCA too, so I should probably stick with composite as the most descriptive term.

*edit 2* regarding the number of systems... I reckon I probably use close to that many formats in a month.  This month alone, I've used:

Wii
Core Grafx/SCD
SNES
PS2
I'm sure I would have used the 360 and the Famicom if they'd been working
GBA
DS
PSP (but only for watching TV shows)

Not bad, and there's still a whole week and a half left!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:47:24 AM by soop »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14:13 AM »
Phono level is different than line level. Thu both use RCA jacks. Phonographs have no amplification so there is a bias signal coming out of any phono level input. Line level (everything except for an actual phonograph) inputs are expecting an already amplified signal.