Author Topic: av switches  (Read 764 times)

77FordTruckMan

av switches
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
Does anybody know where I can buy an av switch with more than 8 ports? 8 is the most I have been able to find but I was hoping for about 12 or more. I guess I could get 2 of the 8's... anyway, I'm talking about one of these, just with more ports http://www.ebay.com/itm/EC-New-8X1-Port-3RCA-AV-HDTV-DVD-splitter-Switch-Box-8-input-1-output-switch-/120803403859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2071a853

SignOfZeta

Re: av switches
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
Twelve? Damn.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
Probably not the answer you are looking for, but if you couldn't find one couldn't you just get two of the 8 switchers and plug one of them into the other to have 15 inputs?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »
 I bought like 15 of those 3 way ones for 1.20$ each from some dude in china.

Daisy Chains WHUT.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
What do you think the quality of those would be?  I use em, but this one looks elcheapo..

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »
The el cheapo 1.50$ ones?

They're pieces of crap.  That's why I bought 15 of them!

but they all still work!  so, maybe they're just fine.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:02:20 AM »
Im talking about the one he posted a link to.  :)  Im thinking of getting one, or two...

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:22:57 AM »
Im talking about the one he posted a link to.  :)  Im thinking of getting one, or two...

Well someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but an RCA cable is an RCA cable. It's just a wire going from one connection to another, so unless the switches themselves are so cheap that they break with a little use then they should be fine.

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:23:19 AM »
I just counted and I will need 13, but I would like to have more because I'm sure I will pick up another system or 2 at some point. I was figuring on buying 2 of the 8's if you guys didn't know of any bigger ones, so I guess that's what I will do, I'll let you know how they work out and post pictures of the new setup I am building once it's done. I'm having trouble finding the cd rack I want.

77FordTruckMan

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
I bought like 15 of those 3 way ones for 1.20$ each from some dude in china.

Daisy Chains WHUT.

Wow, that sounds confusing...

xelement5x

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 03:13:40 AM »
Yeah, I can't imagine how you keep that straight Arkham.  Do you do it like by manufacturer so it filters down?
For example:
1-NEC
2-Ninteno
3-Sega

and then off the NEC one it's like
1-Core Grafx
2-Duo
3-PC-FX
so you'd need to set the switches at 1, 2 to some to play Gotzendiener?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »
I had some issues getting my gear all hooked up also. After I saw the prices for 8+ switch boxes, with remotes and fancy crap for power gemlins I decided to daisy chain two 4-way boxes I already had for my composite consoles and I also have one 4-way for the systems that can out s-vid. My TV can handle the HDMI/Component for right now. I've seen shitty switch boxes, but it's more for the mechanics rather than the wires (poor connections) but I'm with Samurai Ghost on "quality" switchboxes debate.

Of course I never need to switch anything because there is only Turbo!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:41 AM »
Yeah, I can't imagine how you keep that straight Arkham.  Do you do it like by manufacturer so it filters down?
For example:
1-NEC
2-Ninteno
3-Sega

and then off the NEC one it's like
1-Core Grafx
2-Duo
3-PC-FX
so you'd need to set the switches at 1, 2 to some to play Gotzendiener?

no.  i put tape with console name on all the things. so then you just find the one you want and set the switches.

It's not really that bad, lol.

its all dismantled right now though since I'm gittin me some XRGBthing

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »

Well someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but an RCA cable is an RCA cable. It's just a wire going from one connection to another, so unless the switches themselves are so cheap that they break with a little use then they should be fine.

By no means. The more low end the signal the more sensitive it is to bullshit. A bad switch box can MURDER a composite signal. By daisy chaining two of these things some unlucky systems might end up sending their poor composite signal through the OEM cables, then through a shitty switch, then through a standard interlink cable, then through another box, then another cable, then the TV. It might work fine, but I wouldn't count on it. There will be signal degradation for sure.

I have a lot of systems, and I do play them, all of them, but it doesn't make much sense for me to have them all hooked up at once. I can only actually PLAY one at a time, the others will just get dusty waiting to be turned on. The there is the huge amount of space this would take up. Never mind the systems, just the CABLES for 12 systems takes up a lot of space. Composite is fairly compact too. My CMVS and GC have a lot more shit coming out the back.

Also, the only composite signals I use are, I think, my PCEs (working on upgrades, I promise you), my HandiFami8 and my LD player. Everything else is s-video or better so F this composite shit.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the info! I'm like you, as I have a ton of systems, but I usually just have the ones I'm currently playing out, so I used direct connections rather than switch boxes. I use at least s-video whenever possible, but my briefcase PCE, AV Famicom, and Master System all use standard component cables. Looking to upgrade the ones I can to RGB or s-video at some point, and am thinking of building a custom shelf to hold my most-played systems, hooked up all the time. And in that case I'd need some kind of switcher for S-Video at least, as a lot of TVs only have one S-video input. Are there any decent s-video switchers out there?