Author Topic: av switches  (Read 763 times)

soop

Re: av switches
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 06:19:03 AM »
Phono level is different than line level. Thu both use RCA jacks. Phonographs have no amplification so there is a bias signal coming out of any phono level input. Line level (everything except for an actual phonograph) inputs are expecting an already amplified signal.

Ah, my mistake!  God, I know I'm gonna make that mistake again.  I've been making it for many years!

vestcoat

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
"Phono" is still used interchangeably with "RCA" by many engineers to identify cables and adapters (XLR, instrument, TRS, etc).  If you start talking about jacks/inputs or anything other than line level signals, it's best to avoid the word "phono" unless you're talking about an actual turntable input.

GohanX

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »

Ah, the memories. I used to daisy chain two of those Retocon switchboxes together back in the day. It was a very good unit, available pretty cheap as I recall. I used to use one of those Madcatz ones too, it wasn't quite as good as the Retocon IIRC, but still fine for composite.

These days, I use a combination of my Onkyo receiver (it has 3 component inputs) with one of these switchboxes:

The reciever's signals are perfect, I just wish it had more ports. The Pelican works better than just about any switchbox I've seen, but there is still a slight bit of interference if you are looking very closely.