Author Topic: Bubble Bobble  (Read 11430 times)

Aladar

Re: Bubble Bobble
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 07:14:18 AM »
At this point I'm hoping someone pops up offering to make it... or even better, they have made it :D

I am working on a port.
I have started a year ago, now I am converting the remaining code in C++.
I have translated in C++ around the 50% of the main CPU code, slave CPU and MCU code is alredy converted and working(tested on my emulator/simulator).
For the audio part I have used a different method: I have written a specific emulator to extract the data sent to the sound chips.
There is still a lot to do, the C++ translation is only an intermediate step...

hoobs88

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
That is indeed good news!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
Looking forward to it!!

spenoza

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 04:57:04 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are working in C++? Is it simply your most familiar language?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Aladar

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are working in C++? Is it simply your most familiar language?

For various reasons, for example it is possible to test and analyze the code with my emulator/simulator(written in C++) or, in the future, to compile a preliminary version in C with HuC.
However, the final code will be in assembly.

soop

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Wow, this is great news!

May I ask which version it's based on?

And I know it's far too early for questions like this...  But I'll throw it out there; would it be possible to insert code for a 2p GT linkup?  I know there's not exactly a lot of GT owners in the world, but I wonder how hard it would be.  I guess Bomberman '93 has the code.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:03:57 PM by soop »

Aladar

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »
May I ask which version it's based on?

"VER 0.1 4.SEP,1986"(parent in MAME)

And I know it's far too early for questions like this...  But I'll throw it out there; would it be possible to insert code for a 2p GT linkup?  I know there's not exactly a lot of GT owners in the world, but I wonder how hard it would be.  I guess Bomberman '93 has the code.

It would be nice, but as you said it's too early.

esteban

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »
At this point I'm hoping someone pops up offering to make it... or even better, they have made it :D

I am working on a port.
I have started a year ago, now I am converting the remaining code in C++.
I have translated in C++ around the 50% of the main CPU code, slave CPU and MCU code is alredy converted and working(tested on my emulator/simulator).
For the audio part I have used a different method: I have written a specific emulator to extract the data sent to the sound chips.
There is still a lot to do, the C++ translation is only an intermediate step...

Good luck on this project
  |    | 

Aladar

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
I want to inform you that the project is still alive even if progresses slowly.
I am currently completing the preparatory work for the assembly conversion.
Now I have to choose the format: HuCard or CD?
I'm also considering the possibility of a SuperGrafx exclusive.
I know that many will not like this choice but thanks to the second background and more VRAM the code is simpler.

spenoza

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 04:03:58 AM »
Well, SGX only would have the result that most would have to use emulators to play it. If at all possible I would urge Hucard rather than CD (even though distributing it becomes more problematic) and not SGX only. CD distribution is an easier distro method, but Aetherbyte is working on HuCard hardware and the GameOfYou flash card makes it pretty easy to get a ROM onto a working system. You could always sell a ROM file the way some folks sell ebooks or MP3 files.

Of course, if you wanted it to be as accurate as possible you could go SGX only at first, and then maybe spend a little more time to make a regular version. You'll notice that Parasol Stars manages to have the level tiles fly away at the end of a level while the background remains, so it is certainly possible.

These are my opinions, but it's up to you what you want to do, of course.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
I see no reason why Bubble Bobble should be a Super Grafx exclusive, if it's a port of the arcade one or NES one.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bardoly

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »
I want to inform you that the project is still alive even if progresses slowly.
I am currently completing the preparatory work for the assembly conversion.
Now I have to choose the format: HuCard or CD?
I'm also considering the possibility of a SuperGrafx exclusive.
I know that many will not like this choice but thanks to the second background and more VRAM the code is simpler.

Thanks for the update!

How about a Super HuCard like Darius Plus and Darius Alpha where the game would be playable on regular hardware but with enhanced gameplay if played on a SuperGrafx?  Although for ease of distrution (and also for being much cheaper than creating HuCards), I would have to recommend a CD release?

Of course, this begs the question of whether a CD release could take advantage of the SuperGrafx hardware.  I would assume so, but I have no clue.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
This is pretty cool.  Glad I found this thread.  My preference, if anyone cares, is the HuCard over CD-ROM.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
I'm not sure when Aetherbyte will have Hucards ready, & maybe neither do they(?).  Maybe they're already ready, & are just being hush hush :D  In any case, I see no reason why the game couldn't be pixel pefect & be on a cart.  However, as stated before, CD is easier for now.  If you do CD, I'd highly recommend you do a straight arcade port, & an enhanced mode.  For the enhanced mode, you could add some redbook versions of the tunes, & could probably use updated sprites/tile lifted from other Bubble Bobble games.  Then for the music, you could have 3 options for the player to choose from, chip tunes, redbook of the original arcade audio, & some arranged versions of the tunes that switch up maybe every 10 stages, & have this selectable perhaps in an options screen. 

But, maybe this is just me dreaming! :)

esteban

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 12:21:08 AM »
STATUS: Whilst a HuCARD would be nice, I can't help but dream of a CD release with the OPTION to play PSG chiptunes and Redbook! That would be truly marvelous. YOUR PATH HAS BEEN CHOSEN—clearly CD-ROM is the medium of the future...
  |    |