Author Topic: "Traditional" Fighter on PC-FX  (Read 794 times)

nat

"Traditional" Fighter on PC-FX
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »

I just stumbled on this today, although it looks like that video has been up forever. This is something I never knew about. Looks like I'll need to add First Kiss to my list of PC-FX games to buy. Music by Ts Music!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: "Traditional" Fighter on PC-FX
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »

I just stumbled on this today, although it looks like that video has been up forever. This is something I never knew about. Looks like I'll need to add First Kiss to my list of PC-FX games to buy. Music by Ts Music!

oh.  yeah, I planned to put pictures of that on the pcfxtoo, but im busy with this school bullshit.    I think I at least mentioned it.

"Beat the game and unlock Hunex Fighters '98.  Yep. A fighter, hidden in a girly game.  Suck on that, haters."

yeah, I did!

its a fun fighting game.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
That's an amazing find! Looks like it's well made too, wonder if they were planning on releasing a full game like that for PC-FX?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Could be. Rumor has it NEC had strict guidelines regarding what sort of games could get released on the FX. Now I'm not sure what their stance was on traditional fighters, but if they put the botch on this one, it could be that HuneX already had resources invested and decided to release it as-is as a "hidden unlockable" in First Kiss to get by the NEC content police.

An alternate theory could be that they were planning HuneX Fighters '98 as a regular release, approved by NEC, but when the console's end-of-life was announced in 1998 they decided rather than waste resources and money finishing it they released it as-is as part of First Kiss (which ended up being the last release for the PC-FX).

Either way, it seems unlikely that it was developed solely for inclusion in First Kiss. It seems probable that it was some sort of separate project that ended up being incorporated into FK for some reason.

filler

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:47 AM »
First Kiss Story is a good acquisition even without the bonus fighting game, but this does look pretty cool. I had seen this video before when looking for videos on the game but I haven't played it yet. I'm not sure if I've unlocked it yet after beating the game once or if I missed it since I didn't quite 100% Manami. Nice find!

Interesting about the guidelines NEC may have had for games. This is the first I've heard of it. "1. Game must feature bishoujo prominently..." :) Seriously though, is there any info on NECs policies on PC-FX games anywhere?

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »
Since lately there's been a good amount of hacking in regard to PC-FX games, I guess I should ask; may it be possible to make a hack focused around the HuneX Fighters assets? The game engine seems like it was meant for so much more than just 3 characters...

SamIAm

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:12 AM »
Oh, what might have been...

Also, from the thread about the Ironman, with the interview with the Hudson guy:

What was the aim of the PC-FX console? It seems to me that NEC had very specific ideas about what kind of games could be on it, because there were only gal-get (visual novel/dating sim) titles and other similar games on it for quite some time. Can you talk some about the genesis of the project between NEC and Hudson?

TM: Their goal was to create a game with everything on the screen moving, rather than playing a basically still action game with just the characters moving around. The CPU ability back then was not that good. We did research into how to make graphics that were more motion-oriented, so FX was the answer.

Did NEC have specific types of genres that it wanted on there? It seemed like it was very much going in the full-motion video direction, rather than proper games like the PC Engine had, and it was a lot of dating sims and things like that. Was that done purposefully, or was that just who ended up developing for it?

TM: NEC didn't do anything to set the genre direction that the software was made in. Their concern was purely technical. Software-wise, Hudson was the one thinking about that and setting the direction. When you're talking about "NEC", there's a distinction. NEC Home Electronics itself just worked on the hardware. The software division that worked on games was known as NEC Avenue. When you're talking about NEC, the hardware and software divisions have to be understood.

So why did Hudson decide to go for FMV-type stuff in that era, after other consoles had already failed at doing that?

TM: I really think it's because we wanted to see how far we could go to challenge that.

Granted, this is from a Hudson guy, so maybe he's missing something. However, it does sound like the library's limited diversity is more of a by-product of NEC's choice of putting FMV at the center of the system's hardware capabilities. Do that in America and you get B-movies on a disc, do it in Japan and you get gal-games.

nat

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
That definitely contradicts what's been said in the past about NEC's PC-FX content guidelines, but who knows? I'll see if I can dig up something that refers to what I'm speaking of. They obviously can't both be correct.

filler

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »
Since lately there's been a good amount of hacking in regard to PC-FX games, I guess I should ask; may it be possible to make a hack focused around the HuneX Fighters assets? The game engine seems like it was meant for so much more than just 3 characters...

That's an interesting idea. It would probably be a lot more work than I would want to do but it would be pretty cool to see it fleshed out with other PC-FX characters. I could see Rolfee, Chip, maybe Shouko from WtPC (her signature move, the Shouko Tackle :) ).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:43:05 AM »
Heh, nice find.  I'll have to add that to the list of games to pick up (eventually).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

guyjin

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
That's neat!

The sound effects are PCEish, other than the voices. Was that a stylistic decision, or does it hint at an even earlier origin?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

incrediblehark

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Looks like the vid has been up for a while, but nonetheless a nice find! I better buy the game now before it reaches zenki or zeroigar ebay prices

kazekirifx

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »
Awesome! Wish I had known about this sooner. Never finished this game, but totally wish I had now.
The gameplay looks decent. Does it have both 2P vs. and vs. CPU?

Haha. May from Private Eye-dol and Asha from Blue Breaker...

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Looks like the vid has been up for a while, but nonetheless a nice find! I better buy the game now before it reaches zenki or zeroigar ebay prices

I was able to get First Kiss Storyon eBay for around $30. I don't think it's gonna reach Zenki or Zeroigar prices any time soon.

saturndual32

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
I was wondering, how does the PCFX video ram stack up to the Playstation, in the case that a game like Street Fighter Zero 2 was ported to the FX.
I have read that FX only has 256 KB of VRAM for the Supergrafx chips, but there is 1MB separate for the background layers. PS1 has 1 meg of vram, does this mean that the FX actually is comparable, in this case againts Playstation? I guess that the 1MB VRAM for backgrounds would be more useful for sprite animation.
Just wondering (and dreaming) how good a port of SFZ2 the FX could deliver compared to what Saturn and PS1 did.