Author Topic: does an updated screen take away from the vintage feel of an express?  (Read 772 times)

esteban

This is a great topic. 

Thankfully, Dan answered for me! Whew, he saved me a bunch of typing.

There is an old thread where I did a better job expressing why I embrace the imperfections of old technology as an authentic experience. With consoles, I'll spend an overwhelming majority of my time with original hardware.

BUT, that doesn't mean I don't want to experience all the modifications folks have developed—I love what folks have done to improve video and sound output—but I won't spend a majority of my time on modded hardware.

As original hardware fails in the upcoming years, I reckon I'll be more likely to choose convenience over authenticity. For now, though, I am happy with where I have drawn the boundaries. 

:(  I like the fact that it makes them more accessable, but I'm hesitating even changing the caps on mine.  Why must I be so nostalgic?!

Well, they didn't make that many expresses and if you want people who've never seen an express to know "This is what 399.99 would buy you in 1990" keeping the screen authentic, with dead pixels and all is part of that. I'm a big believer in not modifying rare hardware besides for repair, so cap changes are fine, but things like AV mods or stuff that change the functionality of the original hardware I'm not such a big fan of, if it's rare hardware.

On common systems I have no problem with people doing this, since I have no doubt 20 years from now there will original common systems that function as they did stock. On rarer systems like US Duo's, Expresses and Neo-Geo's I have reservations as these systems just aren't that common.

With that said, it's up to the owner as to what they want to do with it, obviously for practical purposes the replacement screen is a significant functionality upgrade. It really comes down to if you're keeping it original for nostalgia and collecting purposes, or you just want something to play TG games on the go.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dan here.

And, I want to point out, keeping a TurboExpress/GT intact is NOT about being a collector, it's about being an avid lover of video games and the hardware designed for them. Don't trivialize this as "nostalgia" either, because the desire to experience TG-16/PCE as a 1990 piece of hardware is, for me, truly as a historian who craves authentic experiences. We have enough goddamn simulation in this 2012 world of instant gratification. Gimmee my flawed, imperfect hardware, warts and all, and let me experience the screen in its gorgeously blocky truth.

That said, I own two TE's, and when I save up the money, I would love to get the screen mod. Don't call me a hypocrite, you friggin' bastard: I love games. I love playing them. And simply because I cherish original hardware and authentic experiences doesn't mean I don't appreciate modifications. However, some things appeal to me more than others. I don't know if I'll ever have a burning desire to go beyond S-Video/composite with my consoles. If I had lots of $$$, I would certainly extra consoles and have them modded. But I can tell you that I would still play the original hardware (composite video, usually) most of the time.

I don't expect everyone to understand or appreciate my stance, but it boils down to this: I don't nurture an obsession for RGB purity. I have a different obsession (experiencing games authentically) that forces me to accept the imperfect nature of older technology. Playin video games was messy for the average person, back in the day. I'm OK with that. Real hardware buzzes and whines.

Give me the buzz and whine 90% of the time. That's an arbitrary number (I'm closer to 98%, but if I get back into MAME, and I'm sure I will, I'm going to rely on emulation for most of my arcade lust. I don't have time, space or money for authentic arcade experience. I wish I had a few cabs, but I'll be lucky to get one in the next few years).

Clearly, I chosen certain boundaries.
I will gladly enjoy RGB mods, new TE screens, crystal clear audio, emulation, etc. for the remainder. I can tell you now that I love all the TE mods and I am sooooooooooooo curious and eager to check it out.
  |    | 

GohanX

Personally, I love the fact that it's 2012 and there are new technologies available to enhance the play of my favorite childhood games. But if you like playing on a little blurry screen, more power to you! Steve will get my TE as soon as he opens up orders.

thesteve

i am taking orders now

GohanX

Did not know that! I'll shoot you a pm in a bit.

Keranu

I agree with Dan and Steve, there's a certain magic when playing the authentic Turbo Express. I'd like to try a modded one too (would rather play a modded TE than simply a PCE emulator on PSP or something).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

henrycsc

It's not just magic.  The original express screen was way ahead of it's time.  In the early 90s even, I would take mine on business trips, and people in the airports would oogle over it.  Laptops were very uncommon back then, and cellphones even rarer.  I'd watch tv in the airplane (before takeoff - no signal in the sky), and the people around me would ask what it was.  Of course, by then even the clearance expresses were gone.

Steve's modding one of my loose systems, just because this is such a badass idea.  Yeah, 20 years have improved the technology for the display, but as you guys have said an original screen has it's own place.  Dragon's Curse is one of my favorites to play on the express.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

HercTNT

My express is original...............Original bad ass!! But seriously, after i got my express back from steve i played bonk 2 for an hour. Look i'm not trying to step on anyones toes. i having nother but respect for those who like to keep their systems stock.  Make no mistake about it though, when you play with a new 3.5" screen installed by steve, you cant go back. i have a jxd601 android handheld system with a 5" screen and i can play any system i want including turbo. However, it does not look as good, feel as good, or play as good. getting your gt modded to a more modern setup is not a bad thing at all.  for those who like it oldschool, not a problem, you cant go wrong either way.

rag-time4

I used to get a lot of shooter practice in on Blazing Lazers and Image Fight when i worked night crew at Safeway... I would play in my car on my lunch breaks, using my stock express and official car adapter. The only problem I had was that Image Fight would always crash after stage 5.

My converter also causes obvious buzzing when i use it with my US Duo...

thesteve

wow another IF crash after lvl5 express issue

rag-time4

wow another IF crash after lvl5 express issue
Steve my setup is a stock US express with one of the converters sold on tzd.com that i bought in 06 or so.