Author Topic: does an updated screen take away from the vintage feel of an express?  (Read 767 times)

420GOAT

im really on the fence about getting it done, i love the grainy video but a "clean" video may be cool. crisp sound as well. are you cats with the screen mod happy with it, im not trying to bash it, but ARE THERE ANY REGRETS?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Duo_R

Just play a game that requires passwords and there won't be any regrets
Add my YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

henrycsc

Find a cheap broken express as a spare to get the screen mod done on, then you have the best of both worlds.  :)
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

roflmao

Just play a game that requires passwords and there won't be any regrets

This.  There are so many good games that are basically unplayable on the Express because of the password system.  I would love to be able to play OotG on the go.

hoobs88

You can really only play platformers on it. Nothing with text...especially passwords.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

thesteve

HercTNT did a review on the mod.
i play image fight on mine all the time
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10700.0

HercTNT

with the system turned off you would have to look really close at a modded and unmodded express to see the difference. With the systems turned on its night and day. Having the larger clearer screen makes more games perfectly playable. Unless your collector (i'm not) you wont care about the almost unnoticable change in the original look once you use the new screen. If your gonna have an express or gt, might as well enjoy it. Get the new screen!

soop

:(  I like the fact that it makes them more accessable, but I'm hesitating even changing the caps on mine.  Why must I be so nostalgic?!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Vintage feel?  Unless you find it less enjoyable playing TG-16 games on a console hooked up to a decent CRT than on the 'Express, I wouldn't worry about it.  I couldn't do it to my 'Express, but that's because it's like brand new and barely been used, not because I love the old LCD.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

420GOAT

it looks so badass, let me play the current games i have for a bit then im in. 

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

DragonmasterDan

You can really only play platformers on it. Nothing with text...especially passwords.

Some shmups are quite playable on a stock express, Blazing Lazers rocks with the express on the go.
--DragonmasterDan

thesteve

devils crush works well on the stock screen

DragonmasterDan

:(  I like the fact that it makes them more accessable, but I'm hesitating even changing the caps on mine.  Why must I be so nostalgic?!

Well, they didn't make that many expresses and if you want people who've never seen an express to know "This is what 399.99 would buy you in 1990" keeping the screen authentic, with dead pixels and all is part of that. I'm a big believer in not modifying rare hardware besides for repair, so cap changes are fine, but things like AV mods or stuff that change the functionality of the original hardware I'm not such a big fan of, if it's rare hardware.

On common systems I have no problem with people doing this, since I have no doubt 20 years from now there will original common systems that function as they did stock. On rarer systems like US Duo's, Expresses and Neo-Geo's I have reservations as these systems just aren't that common.

With that said, it's up to the owner as to what they want to do with it, obviously for practical purposes the replacement screen is a significant functionality upgrade. It really comes down to if you're keeping it original for nostalgia and collecting purposes, or you just want something to play TG games on the go.
--DragonmasterDan

420GOAT

i just want to play, yes stock is very nice but much like most cars i buy, they usually always get modded. its nice to have cool collections but im late in the game to get good prices, have little room for boxes and shit and i am 36 and my eyes are not 13 anymore. im sad the scripts on the  screen lens will be removed but what can you do? its like a big block in a 67 Camaro.

SignOfZeta

I've never seen a modded Express in action so don't know if the new screen robs some of the "feel" of playing on an Express, but I do know that playing an Express robs some of the feel of playing PCE. That screen is the suck.