Author Topic: Turbo Everdrive PC Engine / Turbografx 16 Flash Card Nearing Release  (Read 9747 times)

spenoza

Re: Turbo Everdrive PC Engine / Turbografx 16 Flash Card Nearing Release
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »
Supergrafx ROMS aren't any different from PCE ROMS, really.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »
Some flash carts might not physically fit in a SuperGrafx or other consoles, depending on the position of the power on switch lock. I belive that the tototek one is notched on both sides, but can't remember for sure.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

thesteve

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
i think i may have an answer to the neoflash issue.
i dought it was ever weak voltage.
as it must load the rom to the executable area of the card boot time becomes an issue.
if the system reset is completed before the rom is ready it will not work properly.
i ran into this on the gameofyou flash and solved it

gameofyou

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
i think i may have an answer to the neoflash issue.
i dought it was ever weak voltage.
as it must load the rom to the executable area of the card boot time becomes an issue.
if the system reset is completed before the rom is ready it will not work properly.
i ran into this on the gameofyou flash and solved it

I can't speak to the operation of the Neoflash card, but on my card, nothing needs to be loaded at boot time.  The PC downloads and writes the game to flash.  After that, to the PC-Engine, the card is read just like a normal ROM.  I would like to get to the bottom of the reset issue, but I would probably need to buy a Turbografx to figure it out.

thesteve

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
the reason it was an issue on yours is the flash chip has to arrange the data in 8 or 16 bit at initialization.
the chip stores it as 2 8bit roms,
it then uses an internal mapper to stack the roms

NightWolve

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »
I am in love....

Ah, but you gotta decide Bernie!! ;) You were committing to buying the low cost one in the other thread which is only 1 MB, meaning you'll have to flash another game in every time you wanna switch (and it'll never work with SFII, but eh, who cares? With 2 button control, it's shitty to play & it's available in every other platform, MAME, etc. so I technically wouldn't care if this one couldn't handle it.). This one, IF it works according to its claims, even with a small 1GB micro SD Card, you'll have EVERY game available at the touch of your fingertips! The full NEC HuCard ROM collection is only 301 MB, even smaller if you exclude the duplicate dumps ([a1], [a2], [a3], etc.).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:12:31 PM by NightWolve »

Nando

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
I am in love....

Ah, but you gotta decide Bernie!! ;) You were committing to buying the low cost one in the other thread which is only 1 MB, meaning you'll have to flash another game in every time you wanna switch (and it'll never work with SFII, but eh, who cares? With 2 button control, it's shitty to play & it's available in every other platform, MAME, etc. so I technically wouldn't care if this one couldn't handle it.). This one, IF it works according to its claims, even with a small 1GB micro SD Card, you'll have EVERY game available at the touch of your fingertips! The full NEC HuCard ROM collection is only 301 MB, even smaller if you exclude the duplicate dumps ([a1], [a2], [a3], etc.).

Or one can eventually buy both, it's always nice to have backups. Shit happens.

My daily user would be this little beast here, but having a extra flash-able card would be piece of mind for me. I also have two young kiddos.. Wandering curious hands.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
Yes....  I will buy both..  :) 

gameofyou

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »
the reason it was an issue on yours is the flash chip has to arrange the data in 8 or 16 bit at initialization.

I'm curious where you see this in the datasheet.  Because all I see is "Trh - RESET# High Time Before Read - MIN 0nS".

incrediblehark

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
I'll probably get the Turbo Everdrive and get rid of my neoflash since I could never get it to work on my modded pc engine, but my other systems were fine. Too bad the everdrive won't have the plastic coating to make it look all pretty like the neoflash, or will it?

thesteve

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

I'm curious where you see this in the datasheet.  Because all I see is "Trh - RESET# High Time Before Read - MIN 0nS".

i didnt see it in the data sheet.
i did see the chip was configurable 8 or 16 bit.
i saw no need to reset the chip, before boot, and suspected the TG16 was beginning boot shortly after reset low.
you can enable the reset button as long as you dont reset the flash chip

TheOldMan

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »
...suspected the TG16 was beginning boot shortly after reset low.

Not an electronics guy, but that makes sense to me. Reset low would indicate a reset state, during which the cpu
would have to fetch the reset vector. So, it would be reading while reset is low, and once the read is complete, it would raise the reset line, indicating reset was done, and start executing the reset code.

Where's Tomaitheous? Maybe he can explain this....

Frank_fjs

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 02:44:14 AM »
Too bad the everdrive won't have the plastic coating to make it look all pretty like the neoflash, or will it?

It wont. Too costly to produce.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
If I can use it on my SuperGrafx I might pick one up just to play 1941 but maybe I can find the a loose before it comes out...

Nando

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
Too bad the everdrive won't have the plastic coating to make it look all pretty like the neoflash, or will it?

It wont. Too costly to produce.

will there be a case for it? what would be the best way to store it? total noob on this end btw.