Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23953 times)

geise

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #510 on: June 28, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
Hell yeah necro! Nice on the clears!  O0

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #511 on: July 15, 2019, 12:16:01 AM »
Thanks, goosey.  This next one is because of you and the GotM.   :pcgs:

Clear #103 - Last Alert

The Good:  the hilari-bad voice acting; neat rank system based on score, granting you new (usually better) weapons and more health; pretty decent redbook tunes; tons of different stages, some of which are non-linear and some reward stealth instead of just having you blast away at everything; plenty of variety in enemies, bosses, stage design / graphics, and weapons / sub-weapons; and the cut scenes are pretty impressive for such an early title.

The Bad:  the hilari-bad voice acting; the stupid short timer in many levels, forcing you to rush ahead and ignore enemies, and yet you still might run out of time, causing insta-death and game over or continue; and I feel bad for the sad melty snowmen.  The poor bastards....  :|

The Ugly:  NA

Full Disclosure - unlike most of my clears, this one is not 1CC.  I can't imagine trying to blow through this in one sitting and without ever running out of time; 'tis frustrating as fuck.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #512 on: November 20, 2019, 02:46:58 AM »
Holy crow!  It's been four months!!!   :-[

Clear #104 - Fray in Magical Adventure

The Good:  great opening and closing cut scenes; Fray is super cute and bumbles into all sorts of silliness; bright, colorful, and nicely varied backgrounds and settings; a fun mix of mainly overhead platforming with a couple of shewty / surfy stages to break up the action (kinda like Final Zone 2 but with cuteness and humor turned up to 11); Fray's ever changing facial expressions, representing her moods or current health; several weapon and bomb-like options; plenty of funky enemies and giant bosses; and did I mention Fray's cute?   :mrgreen:

The Bad:  spotty jumping that leads to lots and lots of falls; and not enough animated cut scenes, with the story mostly being told with voicework and moonrunes, making it hard to follow the story.

The Ugly:  jumping on the falling logs will piss you off!

geise

« Reply #513 on: November 20, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
I love Fray! Thanks for selling me your Dupe years ago. I have yet to finish this one as well. I am taking a ton of time of for holidays this year. So I'll be making time to sit down and play some pc-e / turbo.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #514 on: November 20, 2019, 04:38:08 PM »
December's GotM?   :cook:

Gypsy

« Reply #515 on: November 20, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
This is a game I've always been on the fence about and never pulled the trigger even with a burn. I do have the iso just sitting in a folder here. Heard so many mixed things and I'm just not sure if it's worth my time.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #516 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »
Doooo eeeet!  Cute lil Fray is definitely worth a look.  The falling logs are annoying, but it's a short bit of an otherwise great game; don't let it scare you off.

Androsynth

« Reply #517 on: November 22, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »
Doooo eeeet!  Cute lil Fray is definitely worth a look.  The falling logs are annoying, but it's a short bit of an otherwise great game; don't let it scare you off.

My PCE knowledge is rusty (first time in 6 years I've been able to unpack and get back into it), but I think I missed this game even back then. This looks fun, might track a copy down once I get my Duo fixed.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #518 on: November 22, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »

My PCE knowledge is rusty (first time in 6 years I've been able to unpack and get back into it), but I think I missed this game even back then. This looks fun, might track a copy down once I get my Duo fixed.

It might be slightly more annoying, but just make sure you get the US version rather than the imported version. :)

The US voice acting is so terribly amazing, it's a classic!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: November 22, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »
Jashy forgot the Cook.   :cook:

On a serious note, I'm told the MSX version has been translated, but I'm not weeb enough to mess with turdy old PC stuff.   :mrgreen:

Androsynth

« Reply #520 on: November 25, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »

It might be slightly more annoying, but just make sure you get the US version rather than the imported version. :)

The US voice acting is so terribly amazing, it's a classic!

Yeah, the 90's era CD voice overs are a pleasure in and of themselves. A good friend of mine and I sat down with his Sega CD and CDI collections one evening with some beers and went through this whole 'how bad can games get' thing. I was actually sore from laughing afterwards.

I'll have to nab this one once I get my duo fixed

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: December 19, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
Clear #105 - Doraemon Nobita no Dorabian Night

The Good:  cute, colorful, and cartoony scenery and enemies, with a giant djinn to fight at the end and nice, simple parallax in some spots; cool couch time warp scene between areas; several different weapons and special items; going back and replaying levels to enter previously unreachable areas; and how the end of the stage often previews the setting for the next stage.

The Bad:  slow pace, especially the level map screen; the screen doesn't center well vertically, leaving you open to attacks from your blind side if you don't jump up to force scrolling; and going back to previous stages seems kinda pointless - for what purpose do the pom-poms and microphone serve?

roflmao

« Reply #522 on: December 19, 2019, 11:06:47 PM »
Nice! My son and I played through the other Doraemon game (the Bomberman/Loderunner mashup) and it was fun, but got pretty repetitive by the end. Still, it was enough for us to hunt down and watch a few episodes of the cartoon, which made for a fun weekend afternoon. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #523 on: December 20, 2019, 12:02:58 AM »
That's awesome, rofl.  There's so much good doreamon stuff in Japan, but all we got was generic, bastardized cratermaze.   :|

Clear #105.5 - Doraemon Nobita no Dorabian Night CD

This is essentially the same game, so my comments are about the differences -

The Good:  better detail and coloring in backgrounds; a couple nice, new redbook songs; fancy new intro and outro scenes; and added voicework for when you pick up items, switch weapons, etc.

The Bad:  the game itself uses the same chip tunes, no redbook at all; the couch warp screen is now static and boring; and though the redrawn window skeletons are less flat and look more like they're popping out to get you, their preportions are off, looking weird and bulgy.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #524 on: February 10, 2020, 10:05:13 PM »
Clear #106 - CD Battle: Heroes of Light

Easiest clear ever?  It's almost as silly as a syscard clear!  You pop in a couple CDs to form opposing teams, you battle, and then it's back to the team formation screen to try again.

The Good:  it's unique, I guess; the art, what little there is, looks kinda cool; at least it's not pricey and dumb; and it's good to know that the Evil Dead musical's soundtrack forms a formidable team.

The Bad:  there's very little content, with no dungeons, towns, bosses, or other enemies.

The Ugly:  having bought it back in the day, expecting a real game.