Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23449 times)

vestcoat

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »
...and possible the worst cover art ever seen on US soil.  :P
Nothing will ever top Takin' It to the Hoop.

esteban

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
It's just there to change up the action, with the jet-pack-over-the-water being a similar idea (but with boats!).  I like the idea, actually, it's just the implementation that stinks; fix the slow ass 'copter, add a few more, different enemies, and it'd be a lot more fun.

Yes, those shoot-em-up stages were very monotonous (same strategy over and over)...had we been tasked to actually think/alter/develop different strategies to overcome different obstacles/enemy patterns/etc., it would have been very nice.

I also wish that the different attributes of the mechs played a larger role in the "strategy" of the game. Maybe if we were allowed to switch mechs at certain points (and the stages were designed with specific mechs in mind)--maybe this would have given the game more depth. I just feel that the different playable characters are wasted.

The game itself suffers from poor controls (IMHO)....had the controls not been as clunky, had the flow of the game been smoother...damn, it would have been a fun romp instead of a plodding detour into quicksand. Momoko is fast, though.

LAZER WHIP!

|    | 

blueraven

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
Clear #5 - Dracula X

There's not much new to say about this one - if you like platformers at all, you owe it to yourself to get this one.  It's about as perfect as a game can get: fantastic scenery, nicely done cut scenes, an awesome soundtrack, superb controls, beautifully animated sprites, and excellent replay value with hidden exits, branching paths, and two playable characters.

HA! I had 321 continues. Nice thread BTW. And holy shit.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2013, 05:18:52 AM »
Clear #14 - Götzendiener

Even though it feels like an unfinished beta, I love this game for its unique isometric view and its heroine, Princess Kick Ass!  Where else can you find a damsel in distress that has to save herself when the would be hero is snuffed in the opening cinema?

The Good - red book tunes in cut scenes, nicely animated sprites, half of the scenery looks pretty good, a few small puzzles to figure out, and great cut scenes where the Princess progressively loses more and more of her clothes

The Bad - the in game chip music is pretty meh the first go 'round and downright grating after it loops a couple times, the other half of the scenery is bland and lacks detail, and it'll pause/crash at least a couple times while you're playing

The Ugly - slow down galore, the controls are clunky and slow, and the levels are often mostly empty, with few enemies to fight or puzzles to solve (you'll see plenty of spots where they surely planned more but ran out of time to implement 'em)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:59:37 AM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

I got stuck in Gotzendiener years ago... I gotta re-visit it.

I agree--it is a rough, flawed little game that has personality and is unique (for PCE, anyway)...
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 05:47:24 AM »
Clear #15 - Hatris

I'd rather have a well done port of Tetris (especially with a two player mode), but I still enjoy it for what it is: a falling block puzzler that lets you zone out and drop hats quickly, no intricate strategy required.

The Good - catchy tunes, reasonably paced action, decent looking title/stage select/ending screens, and getting to burn the customers

The Bad - it's rather easy and the difficulty never really ramps up much, bland in game graphics, and no two player mode

The Ugly - the customers!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:00:09 AM by Necromancer »

roflmao

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Congrats!  I didn't know this game had an ending. :)  I'll have to try harder.

esteban

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

Hatris!

'nuff said.

|    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:06 AM »
Clear #16 - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

The Good - nicely drawn, colorful artwork, decent length (not terribly short but not drudgery either), most scenes are animated and change often, unobtrusive loading (mostly in the background while you're watching something else), and cool fan art at the end.

The Bad - mostly forgettable tunes, no puzzles to solve, and not in English  :mrgreen:

The Ugly - NA
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:00:42 AM by Necromancer »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 05:32:24 AM »
You left out : "No titties"
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 03:24:26 AM »
Clear #17: Cosmic Fantasy

Everything great (and not so great) from Cosmic Fantasy 2.  If ya love CF2, ya gotta give this one a go.

The Good - lovable characters; humorous story line with good looking cinemas; riding Monmo (cattank jr.) to safety when you're hurt; nice backdrops during battles (unlike CF2's black screens and dungeon/overworld back grounds); and two tasty nude scenes of Saya.

The Bad - bland looking overworlds, dungeons, and towns; encounter rate, especially later when money and experience are useless; and only two Saya bathing scenes.

The Ugly -  L  O  A  D  I  N  G  !   It loads a lot: in towns, every few screens in cut scenes, before battles, after battles, and even during battles.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:01:24 AM by Necromancer »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 03:57:37 AM »
Clear #18 - Cosmic Fantasy 2

The Good: fantastic story, if a bit sad; large cast of engaging characters; numerous, great cut scenes; and a few nice tunes.

The Bad: arrogant Frenchy computer, though the ending leads me to believe he's only half French; battle pacing is slowed down when using a group attack weapon (minor annoyance only); missing status attacks; the "CF3 Coming Soon" poster sucks 'cause it didn't happen; loading/reloading of each character portrait during conversations; and much of the WD 'humor' hasn't aged well or wasn't all that funny to begin with.

The Ugly: the encounter rate can get pretty tiresome at times, but it's really not that bad - instead of walking around and around to grind up a couple levels, just walking from point a to point b will often yield enough experience to be ready for the next challenge.  Either way you're killing x number of enemies, but it's a killer when you've gone to far and need to retreat quickly, so plan accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:01:57 AM by Necromancer »

galam

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2013, 04:01:50 AM »
Swell work here.
Is there an engrish tranny of CF1?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2013, 04:10:13 AM »

Dave Shadoff is (was) working on one, but it seems to be stalled ().  It's pretty playable for gaijin, though, as it's very linear and there are no puzzles to solve.  You can get all the menus from the linked video, and runin showed me this handy-dandy site for item lists, magic descriptions, etc. (run it through google translate).

galam

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2013, 04:19:36 AM »

Dave Shadoff is (was) working on one, but it seems to be stalled (clicky).  It's pretty playable for gaijin, though, as it's very linear and there are no puzzles to solve.  You can get all the menus from the linked video, and runin showed me this handy-dandy site for item lists, magic descriptions, etc. (run it through google translate).

My lord, sounds like more work than play.  :D
You are an inspiration.