Author Topic: [?] Fueys aka Flash Hueys  (Read 701 times)

Tatsujin

[?] Fueys aka Flash Hueys
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
So there are (or will be soon) some few new Flash Huey products for our beloved PCE/TG16 systems available.

My question now is which is the best to get and what are the general pros and cons of each FuCard regarding like capacity, price, handling, features etc.?

This thread should also serve as a general information base about those products and their developments.

Thanks for any replies :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SuperDeadite

Re: [?] Fueys aka Flash Hueys
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
Well seeing you only play System Cards, I think any Fuey would work.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »
good point there.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

MottZilla

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
I'm aware of three flash cards. The first, PCE Pro 32M by Tototek.

The PCE Pro 32M is not bad, but the design is certainly old. It'll play all the existing games but you only have 32 Megs of storage which isn't much. The bad part mainly is that it is programmed via parallel port which can be troublesome for many people. Some PC's don't have the port, others may not have it configured right and have to hope they can tinker with it and get it to work. But if it works it's just a bit of a hassle going to it to load games on it so it isn't easy to switch between alot of games. The last thing that is not so nice is it sticks out of the system quite a bit since the programmer and HuCard are all one big board. Overall it's not a bad card, but now there are better ones.

Next is gameofyou's low cost usb flash card. It won't play Street Fighter II but other than that it can play all the games that the Tototek card can. It has less storage at 8M, and only one game at a time. But being programmable by USB should make up for that. It's also pretty cheap. It may be the cheapest of all. Certainly seems like a better buy than the Tototek or NeoFlash. I don't have any first hand experience with it, but it sounds solid. I think it fits nicely in the system.

Thirdly is the Turbo EverDrive. It's the most expensive one but it's not that expensive. It should play all the games just like the rest. The main feature is probably that you can just pop games onto a Micro SD card. So you could plop every HuCard game onto a MicroSD and have everything at your disposal in an instant. Very nice. It should fit in systems fine. Only thing I haven't heard about so far is if it plays nice with region modded systems that did not like the 128M NeoFlash. But overall it seems like the most feature filled. I have one ordered and on the way.

Lastly I guess since I already mentioned it, there is the NeoFlash PCE cartridge. I don't recommend it. I had some Neo products in the past. The experience was mediocre to poor. Carts with bad NOR sectors and such. It's also expensive last I checked. And there are much better cards to be had. It's main advantage was USB and more memory when it only had the PCE Pro 32M from Tototek to compete with, and even then the drivers are wonky and only like windows xp and vista did not like them so much as I recall but that may have changed.

So I'd pick either gameofyou's low cost usb Flash Card or the Turbo EverDrive if you were looking to get a cartridge.

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
i have the neo64 (got it with the USB interface broken) waiting n parts to fix the loader to really mess with it.
the neo64 has played well with all my systems (wonky drivers confirmed)
i have the GameOfYou card (helped with the design)
the GOY card is great for a single game, fits and works like an original.
played with the tototek for a min.
its a huge card that hangs out of the system like a diving board, but seems to work as the neo did.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
TurboEverDrive is the best option based on price and features. I'm going to order one but am holding out to hear some reports first and for the first firmware update, I can't be arsed j-tagging it myself.

Tatsujin

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
thx so far peeps :)

few questions coming up right here.

what was the intention of limiting the GOY to 8Mbit only? Looking at todays flash prices even a 100 time of that storage wouldn't have had much influences on its end price.
what I guess it was is the concept behind to replicate ONE HUEY at once. and to eliminate any necessary select menues.

does all the other multi game flashers (f.e.ever drive) come with an automatic select menu on the screen when turning it on?

about what price range do we talking here for each device?
www.pcedaisakusen.net

thesteve

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
the reason for the 8Mb card is it matches the system addressing without a mapper

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:58:04 PM »
thx :)

OK, I might going to order one of these any day:

http://stoneagegamer.com/turboeverdrive_boardonly.aspx

kinda conviced me to be the most partical of all the existing Fueys, and I can put 'em on all together in once (also I am technically/legally authorised to use any Japanese roms on it (except artist tool (lol), power leauge gold and pc genjin III taikenban) :D ).
www.pcedaisakusen.net

meka

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »
I hope  stoneagegamer can design a case for the turboeverdrive, like the neo team one, can't be that hard, I would not want to get it bare.

soop

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
I like Gameofyou's card the most.  But there is something attractive about a LCD modded GT with every Hucard game on one card.

burn_654

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »
I can vouch for gameofyou's card. It runs everything I've thrown at it without a problem and flashes quickly :)

True it is only a single game at a time but I can appreciate that - lets you avoid some gaming add. Sometimes you have to sit down with a game for a bit more than 5 minutes to tell you enjoy it.

I think of it as a nice way to try homebrew, translations and games that are out of your price range.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:17:22 AM by burn_654 »
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

MottZilla

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
Current prices. Turbo EverDrive is $79 from RetroGate (the creator's store). The PCE Pro 32M is $60 from Tototek. gameofyou's 8M flash card was $45. No idea what the Neo cost.

As I asid before I think the clear choices are gameofyou's 8M flash card and the Turbo EverDrive, depending on how much you want to spend.

spenoza

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
Someone like Tats would probably be better of with an EverDrive, but those of us with tiny pockets and limited time should probably opt for GameOfYou's card (he really needs to give the damn thing a catchy name, seriously). It's got a very good price for an entry level card with excellent compatibility.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

esadajr

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
Can you provide with a link to the GameOfYou card?
Gaming since 1985