Author Topic: Can an Avenue 6 controller be modded to work on TG16 ?  (Read 1190 times)

XtraN

Can an Avenue 6 controller be modded to work on TG16 ?
« on: January 25, 2006, 01:12:19 PM »
EDIT: So I found a little more info, so I'd like to rephrase my original question...

So, has anyone tried to re-wire and Avenue 6 pad to a standard Turbo connector?

Thanks again!

my old post

Can anyone give their opinion on this converter? I've searched and haven't found everything I needed to know.

- 3 and 6 button games work?
  (I read at Lik-Sang that the 3/6 button feature doe not work)
- do I have to re-wire it for the TG16 or Duo

Thanks!

PC Gaijin

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:59:01 AM »
I don't think it would work on the Turbografx-16 without an adapter. The DIN plug on a TG-16 is bigger than the PC Engine or Duos. I've never used that adapter so I can't say any more than that, sorry.

Edit: ah, silly me. I asked about a Turbo -> USB adapter then saw that someone asked that same question a few days ago. Ok, I'm off to get caught up on all the forum posts so I don't keep repeating topics. Carry on all :wink:

theoakwoody

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 05:08:31 PM »
Yes I've done this myself.  It's as simple as opening up a tg16 controller and the avenue 6 and swapping the cords.  The cord is not hardwired to the controller, there is a small connector that you unplug from the controller's board.  Luckily both the tg16 controller and the avenue controller have the same plug on their boards so its as easy as unplugging one and replugging the other.  The only small inconvenience is that the cord from the avenue 6 is  slightly thicker than the tg16 one and so if you try to use it on the tg16 controller it is a little tought to close up the casing.  Believe me, this is the easiest mod ever and I'm surprised not a lot of people talk about it.  I had never read about this I just opened up the controller to see what was up and I got lucky.  I guess a lot of people just don't bother with the tg16 hardware so they don't care about modding controllers.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 04:29:49 AM »
Quote from: "theoakwoody"
Yes I've done this myself.  It's as simple as opening up a tg16 controller and the avenue 6 and swapping the cords.  The cord is not hardwired to the controller, there is a small connector that you unplug from the controller's board.  Luckily both the tg16 controller and the avenue controller have the same plug on their boards so its as easy as unplugging one and replugging the other.  The only small inconvenience is that the cord from the avenue 6 is  slightly thicker than the tg16 one and so if you try to use it on the tg16 controller it is a little tought to close up the casing.  Believe me, this is the easiest mod ever and I'm surprised not a lot of people talk about it.  I had never read about this I just opened up the controller to see what was up and I got lucky.  I guess a lot of people just don't bother with the tg16 hardware so they don't care about modding controllers.

Cool man. Back in the day when I bought SFIICE + a Duo(I thought ahead) Kisado converter(for $230), the mail order store offered to sell me a 6 button pad modded to work with my TG combo. They justified the extra price on top of the Ave 6 because they said that they had to use "parts" from a TG pad.

I wonder if they were doing something as simple as you mentioned, or splicing away to create a Frankenstein controller.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

XtraN

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:03:49 AM »
Great Info! Thank You. SOunds easy. No soldering required. Now I just need to find me one! Forgotten Worlds and SFII CE ae shipped and on there way!

I really want to keep this old scholl and use an Avenue 6 pad, BUT...
has anyone tried soldering a PSone (non-analog) controller? I'm wondering if I should be so brave as to try this.  I wouldn't see how this could break a system, it should simply work or not...right? :D

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »
Quote from: "XtraN"
Great Info! Thank You. SOunds easy. No soldering required. Now I just need to find me one! Forgotten Worlds and SFII CE ae shipped and on there way!

I really want to keep this old scholl and use an Avenue 6 pad, BUT...
has anyone tried soldering a PSone (non-analog) controller? I'm wondering if I should be so brave as to try this.  I wouldn't see how this could break a system, it should simply work or not...right? :D

If I were you, I'd get a PSX to PCE adaptor first, and see if you can easily modify that to work on a Turbografx.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

chop5

Re: Can an Avenue 6 controller be modded to work on TG16 ?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »
Anyone know if you can also do this cord swap with a hori controller?
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

nat

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
I'm sure you can. At the very worst you might have to rewire the internal connector.

Which reminds me I still need to post my text on modding a TurboTap/DuoTap/MultiTap.

termis

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
Which reminds me I still need to post my text on modding a TurboTap/DuoTap/MultiTap.

Looking forward to it  :P

Tatsujin

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 07:54:56 PM »
If I were you, I'd get a PSX to PCE adaptor first, and see if you can easily modify that to work on a Turbografx.
do i undertand you correctly, playing PCE games on a TG-16 with a PSX pad? rather i would play them with a jaguar controller than with that crap.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

guyjin

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 05:19:55 AM »
Despite what might seem to be an obvious feature,
PSX>PCE controller adapters DO NOT WORK AS 6 BUTTON PADS.
they either ignore the extra buttons, or they simulate the 2 normal buttons on various turbo settings.
I made that mistake myself; the only real use for them is as a ghetto extension cord, and that's only if you don't mind the usual playstation controllers.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

MrFulci

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »
Wow, I never realized how easy it could be to swap cords in the controllers. For fun, I opened up a Turbo Tap (Sitting to my left at the moment...) It also appears to use the same type of plug!

Seems it could be pretty easy to create a reverse duo tape and such. Anyone ever try? I need to take my Duo out of Hibernation to test if a rever duo tap is possible...

Those Turbo Grafx replacement controller cords at TZD, I wonder if they also have the plug at the end or are loose wires....

Excellent thread. I always figured the wires were soldered, such as in a Genesis controller.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
I tested Street Fighter 2, on a turbo grafx (using a convertor) with a 6 button controller than now has a turbo grafx cord. Functioned a bit flaky at first, however after checking some connections and contacts for the switches, all went well.

Making a tap that allows Turbo controllers on a Duo is pretty easy, Duo wire plugs into Turbo tap (did not test) however the plastic plug on the Duo Tap is a bit different, it would require some modification for the plug to fit.

Cool stuff.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

nat

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »
Don't be fooled.

While the plug looks the same, the pinout for the wiring is completely different.

IE, you can't take a cable from a TurboPad or DuoPad and plug it into the tap and have it work. You have to re-wire the connector first.

I've been meaning to post my DIY text on this for like a month now but I'm really lazy. However, if you give me 20 minutes here I'll post it up. For real this time.

MrFulci

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 01:08:47 PM »
It seemed tow ork for the Avenue pad. There was a short punch, mid punch, and the long punch, along with all the kicks. All I did was take the cable from a turbo grafx controller and install it in the avenue 6