Author Topic: So there's this Dino Force alpha version...  (Read 7719 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: So there's this Dino Force alpha version...
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 06:27:32 AM »
He posted a video, the game looks real, the beam really is like that. The video is f-in horrible quality and really brief, just like the screen shots.

But now he says there is a shop in Japan that is going to handle the sale so we may never see anything about this game again.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 06:51:15 AM »
He emailed me the video. That laser looks terrible.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 07:03:02 AM »
So an alpha is more complete than a beta? Is this the way they talk in Japan or is this guy just clueless?

They read from right to left.

duh.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »
I'm not going to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a game(s) and get nothing in return, that's not how I operate.  If MM were a good candidate to be reproduced and offset my initial investment, that's what I would have done.  It wasn't, so I didn't.

Perhaps if anything there could be a combination rom/ inexpensive flash hucard deal in the future?  Or give the game to ARKANAHN and let him alter a few things (graphically) and release it on one of his ABCATURDS?

Why is the idea of reproducing MM out the window?

vestcoat

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »
The reason I haven't said anything in regard to Marble Madness in some time is because there's nothing to say.  Outside of Sadler offering to let me borrow a multi-tap, there hasn't been a single member of this community offering up anything outside of "Gimme TEH ROMZ!"  You get more bees with honey, and more roms with tact. 
I'm no spokesman, but I'm very sorry if you perceived a general lack of interest or unwillingness to pony up for MM. From what I remember, you were adamant about keeping any reproduction/distribution discussion off the table while you gathered information. That was in July and then you disappeared. We should have been more proactive, but I think most of us were just respecting your wishes and waiting for you to make the next move.

I for one would eagerly contribute for the opportunity to play MM on the Turbo. We're not as numerous as Genesis fans or as well-heeled as Neo Geo collectors, but PCEFX members have shown real generosity donating time and money to projects like Mysterious Song and the repair forum. If you have any willingness to entertain offers, it you have would be a shame to let MM die without at least attempting a kickstarter or something.

Bardoly

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
The reason I haven't said anything in regard to Marble Madness in some time is because there's nothing to say.  Outside of Sadler offering to let me borrow a multi-tap, there hasn't been a single member of this community offering up anything outside of "Gimme TEH ROMZ!"  You get more bees with honey, and more roms with tact. 
I'm no spokesman, but I'm very sorry if you perceived a general lack of interest or unwillingness to pony up for MM. From what I remember, you were adamant about keeping any reproduction/distribution discussion off the table while you gathered information. That was in July and then you disappeared. We should have been more proactive, but I think most of us were just respecting your wishes and waiting for you to make the next move.

I for one would eagerly contribute for the opportunity to play MM on the Turbo. We're not as numerous as Genesis fans or as well-heeled as Neo Geo collectors, but PCEFX members have shown real generosity donating time and money to projects like Mysterious Song and the repair forum. If you have any willingness to entertain offers, it you have would be a shame to let MM die without at least attempting a kickstarter or something.

Agreed.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »

Agreed.

I 3rd that motion!!

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 06:08:56 AM »
I haven't heard anything about beaglepuss making the MM rom available, so even if he did nanage to get ahold of this, the end result would likely he the same as if any of the other collectors who buy unreleased games to keep them from being released to the public gets it.

On the contrary...

Here are some links for you to consider:
-  My release of the unreleased Genesis title Beastball http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=55098 .  The Download can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4f5kdjyHmF-ZDM5YjdiMzAtMWNlZS00MjExLThiOTgtNTgxMDUzYjU2ZDNh/edit?pli=1&hl=en_US

-  My release of the Unreleased Genesis title Swamp Thing  http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=49&threadid=41542

-  My release of the Unreleased Genesis game Dragon's Lair and the Unreleased NES game Arcadia VI  http://segaage.com/auth/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=49&threadid=52638

-  My release of the Unreleased NES game Kitty's Catch, Unreleased NES engine for Tommy T's Sound editor, and a host of other NES titles  http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=35&threadid=20492

-  My release of the unreleased NES game Hoppin' Mad  http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=20344

-  Although it's DreamTR's game, I dumped and repro'd Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat for the Genesis http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=53310

I'm currently in the process of releasing Bill's Tomato game for the Genesis, and it should be ready within the next month or two.  That release will fund the release of a few more unreleased NES titles I have had in the works for some time now.

Now, I have to ask, how many releases have you played a role in?  The question is rhetorical of course, as I'm sure I already know the answer.

Legitmate and legal releases of fully published TurboGrafx-16 games with full packaging? One so far. Illegal pirate/bootlegs? None so far.

Guess how much profit I cut for myself?

I'm not going to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a game(s) and get nothing in return, that's not how I operate.  If MM were a good candidate to be reproduced and offset my initial investment, that's what I would have done.  It wasn't, so I didn't.

If this Dino Force game is real, and it's on Assembler, then it's already too late.  The big time collectors will scoop this up and put it on a shelf (and no, they're not French).  A $5,000 community fund raiser wouldn't add up to a down payment for a game of this caliber.   

Repro carts are a neat novelty, but if it isn't cost effective for the kind of profit margin you need to make a release worthwhile, then why not sell the rom digitally or on a micro SD card for people to pop into their Turbo Everdrive? Just do pre-sells with the stipulation that a minimum number of copies must be pre-sold for it to happen. Feel free to not cap it and continue selling copies after that magic number is hit. The various CD formats are for the CD-ROM accessory. This would be a mini card for the Turbo Everdrive accessory. I'd be happy to design an SD-ROM logo and put together a manual and any kind of packaging designs for free and I'd still purchase a copy for myself.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

lord_cack

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
I have been in this community for a long time. I have been working on developing games for the community for a long time as well. I think it is funny to be talking about turning a profit off of a 30+ year old videogame system. I know that I treat my hobbies far differently than others, I mean I sold off every classic videogame I had a couple of years back and outside of getting another Duo so I can play Mysterious Song, Jungle Bros., and other titles I have worked on (like Pyramid Plunder) on actual hardware I could really not concern myself with owning games. But, the "business" of classic gaming ALWAYS gets under my skin. I don't mean the business of MAKING games for my favorite classic console. As far as I can tell, there is no turning a profit involved in doing it. I do it for the fun of it. Its the business of selling classic games for REDICULOUS prices and lording your possessions over others. Not really my thing. I mean this community does alot of cool things with the raffles and what not so I am not saying ALL the people but, there is a segment of the community, usually a silent segment, that really just make me want to leave.... I don't really care, but everytime a hot issue like this comes up it reminds me of all the previous things that happen on here from time to time....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

SignOfZeta

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »
I'd have to say my desire to play Marble Madness ON THE TURBO isn't very huge. I loved it on the Amiga 20 years ago but...its kind of...out there, on many systems, for cheap. I don't really need a Turbo version. I would not pay for a repro HuCard of it unless it was really cheap, like $20 or something.

I agree with a lot of what Cack is saying, btw. People trying to profit off this kind of thing should probably get a f*cking job and stop sussing up art with their short sited capitalistic bullshit.

BeaglePuss

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 06:32:08 AM »
Firstly, I apologize for my derailment of the thread.  I was responding to my name being brought up, but I should have just gone through PM in hindsight.  It was honestly unintentional. 

As for profiting on a potential release, I don't believe I ever have in all of the games I've released.  I have made some money back on my initial investment, but ultimately always end up spending more money than anything else (usually a lot more).  When releasing a game isn't an option, I either release the rom for free or sell the game to another collector.  It all depends on situation. 

I will update the Marble Madness thread at some point today and tie up the remaining loose ends as best I can.

I also want to apologize to community as a whole.  This is a tighter-knit group than most, and I appreciate your collective passion.  When you collect prototypes, you tend to always be on the defensive, which is exactly what happened here.  When I've spent so much time and money releasing games to the public, I tend to get a bit trigger-happy when being accused of hoarding.  It's an unfortunate character flaw.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »
  It's an unfortunate character flaw.

Which one? Being trigger happy at throwing insults, or being a hoarder? I'd consider both equally bad, but I mean, you know what you're doing when you go in spending a ton of money on prototypes, and the hassle and flack that might be involved when you keep said unreleased title for yourself. You cant just jump in some close knit community, say "hey look what I got, here is two screen shots" then blow everyone off for weeks on end, then come back and lay blame down on others as to the reasons behind your absence and think no ones going to smack you down. It's in poor form. You're the one with the prototype, any "sharing" of said game kinda falls on you since you decided to take up the responsibility for the titles safe keeping and preservation when you purchased it.

The best way to preserve said game is basically to share it. I know that sucks for your pocket book, but if the sole interest in buying these things is to preserve the work that was done, well, its not going to happen when it just goes for years untouched on a shelf. Dealing with arcade hardware for a decent amount of time, one of the first things that pops into mind is the fact that over time eproms will lose their data. These 20 year old prototypes relying on eproms and all, well, you already know where I am headed with this.

Also, I'd like to mention, and I really don't know if its still the same way now, but it seems like I remember in the arcade community people being more interested in sharing unreleased titles romsets with the entire community instead of simply hoarding them, to make sure a wider audience is available to preserve them. The mentality and goals seemed to differ greatly from the going on's of the prototype business for game consoles, since on the console side typically the potential releaser is only interested in getting their money back first, or in some cases, doesn't care and has no intention of sharing at all what so ever.

vestcoat

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
Firstly, I apologize for my derailment of the thread.  I was responding to my name being brought up, but I should have just gone through PM in hindsight.  It was honestly unintentional.  

As for profiting on a potential release, I don't believe I ever have in all of the games I've released.  I have made some money back on my initial investment, but ultimately always end up spending more money than anything else (usually a lot more).  When releasing a game isn't an option, I either release the rom for free or sell the game to another collector.  It all depends on situation.  

I will update the Marble Madness thread at some point today and tie up the remaining loose ends as best I can.

I also want to apologize to community as a whole.  This is a tighter-knit group than most, and I appreciate your collective passion.  When you collect prototypes, you tend to always be on the defensive, which is exactly what happened here.  When I've spent so much time and money releasing games to the public, I tend to get a bit trigger-happy when being accused of hoarding.  It's an unfortunate character flaw.
No need to apologize. I understand you had to sacrifice a significant sum to pry MM away from the previous owner. I look forward to your update and I'm sure plenty of people would be thrilled to pitch in if given the opportunity.

BeaglePuss

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »
 It's an unfortunate character flaw.
Which one? Being trigger happy at throwing insults, or being a hoarder? I'd consider both equally bad, but I mean, you know what you're doing when you go in spending a ton of money on prototypes, and the hassle and flack that might be involved when you keep said unreleased title for yourself. You cant just jump in some close knit community, say "hey look what I got, here is two screen shots" then blow everyone off for weeks on end, then come back and lay blame down on others as to the reasons behind your absence and think no ones going to smack you down. It's in poor form. You're the one with the prototype, any "sharing" of said game kinda falls on you since you decided to take up the responsibility for the titles safe keeping and preservation when you purchased it.

The best way to preserve said game is basically to share it. I know that sucks for your pocket book, but if the sole interest in buying these things is to preserve the work that was done, well, its not going to happen when it just goes for years untouched on a shelf. Dealing with arcade hardware for a decent amount of time, one of the first things that pops into mind is the fact that over time eproms will lose their data. These 20 year old prototypes relying on eproms and all, well, you already know where I am headed with this.

Also, I'd like to mention, and I really don't know if its still the same way now, but it seems like I remember in the arcade community people being more interested in sharing unreleased titles romsets with the entire community instead of simply hoarding them, to make sure a wider audience is available to preserve them. The mentality and goals seemed to differ greatly from the going on's of the prototype business for game consoles, since on the console side typically the potential releaser is only interested in getting their money back first, or in some cases, doesn't care and has no intention of sharing at all what so ever.
Awesome.

lord_cack

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
I think once you start talking about thousands of dollars, your never gonna get your investment back. That just seems like a massive amount of money to spend, especially on something that, while could be shared, is just going to mold away on a single shelf (or sold to a new shelf). Life is made to enjoy, thats why comments about owning games but not opening them, just blows my mind. I don't think that way....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....