Author Topic: So there's this Dino Force alpha version...  (Read 7718 times)

BeaglePuss

Re: So there's this Dino Force alpha version...
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
I think once you start talking about thousands of dollars, your never gonna get your investment back.
I may not get my entire investment back, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to off-set the initial purchase a great deal through a release.  Like I mentioned before, I've done it numerous times in the past with both NES and Genesis titles.  Some of the games were not complete/good enough to warrant a release, and those are the titles I've released for free.  I purchased Swamp Thing and Dragon's Lair for the Genesis for $800 each, and released those to the Sega collecting community for free.  I spent $1,500 on the God-awful Arcadia VI for the NES and released that for free to the Nintendo collecting community.  I've released dozens of titles over the years, so the notion that anything would collect dust on my shelf is just inaccurate. 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
If I had some 10,000$ prototype:

1) I must be wiping my ass with 100$ bills
2) I'd rub it in everyone's face for like, a week
3) Then, I'd rip it/spread it like AIDS in 1985

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
I think once you start talking about thousands of dollars, your never gonna get your investment back.
I may not get my entire investment back, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to off-set the initial purchase a great deal through a release.  Like I mentioned before, I've done it numerous times in the past with both NES and Genesis titles.  Some of the games were not complete/good enough to warrant a release, and those are the titles I've released for free.  I purchased Swamp Thing and Dragon's Lair for the Genesis for $800 each, and released those to the Sega collecting community for free.  I spent $1,500 on the God-awful Arcadia VI for the NES and released that for free to the Nintendo collecting community.  I've released dozens of titles over the years, so the notion that anything would collect dust on my shelf is just inaccurate.  

I get where you are coming from on that, but to be fair, nothing you have done for the Genesis or Nes community really matters to anyone here who doesn't participate in those communities. Also, its one thing to offer up crap games for free that you know no one in their right mind would want to pay money to play, and another to offer up solid titles that are pretty much complete, and actually fun to play. So to that I'd say how you will be judged here by most is probably how you handle the Marble Madness thing, not prior deeds done elsewhere, if that even matters to you or not. And as I mentioned before, would you even legally have the right to release the Marble Madness TG port in a way that involves money?

BeaglePuss

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »
If I had some 10,000$ prototype:

1) I must be wiping my ass with 100$ bills
2) I'd rub it in everyone's face for like, a week
3) Then, I'd rip it/spread it like AIDS in 1985

What if you had a $10,000 prototype that you paid $1,500 for?  What if you were also wiping your ass with $1 dollar bills, and you had to flip each over and use both sides?  What if this obnoxiously over-priced prototype was glitchy, incomplete, and less fun than a trip to the dentist?  What if some malevolent collector came out from the shadows and offered you an awe-inspiring sum of cash for this game as long as it's not shared/distributed? 

BeaglePuss

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »
So to that I'd say how you will be judged here by most is probably how you handle the Marble Madness thing, not prior deeds done elsewhere, if that even matters to you or not.
I can assure you, it doesn't.

And as I mentioned before, would you even legally have the right to release the Marble Madness TG port in a way that involves money?
No, I don't have the legal rights to distribute the game for money.  With that said, I also don't have the legal rights to distribute it for free.  Beyond not legally owning the intellectual property, most of these prototypes are "loaners" meaning I don't even own the physical game from a legal standpoint.  It's not something I'd lose sleep over though.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 09:59:54 AM »
What if you had a $10,000 prototype that you paid $1,500 for?  What if you were also wiping your ass with $1 dollar bills, and you had to flip each over and use both sides?  What if this obnoxiously over-priced prototype was glitchy, incomplete, and less fun than a trip to the dentist?  What if some malevolent collector came out from the shadows and offered you an awe-inspiring sum of cash for this game as long as it's not shared/distributed? 

I'd keep my mouth shut instead of teasing people with a few screen shots and empty hope, seemingly with the sole mission of attracting a buyer.  But that's just me.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

BeaglePuss

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
I'd keep my mouth shut instead of teasing people with a few screen shots and empty hope, seemingly with the sole mission of attracting a buyer.  But that's just me.
Buyers for such things come from Forums like Assembler and such, not a place like this.  This is a gamer community first, and a collector community (a distant) second.  This doesn't seem like the type of place that would be too fond of prototype hoarders from what I've gathered thus far.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
What if you had a $10,000 prototype that you paid $1,500 for? 
Same thing.

What if you were also wiping your ass with $1 dollar bills, and you had to flip each over and use both sides?
I think you missed the point of that remark.  You wipe your ass with 100$ bills because you don't give no f*cks.  If you're using 1$ bills and have to use both sides, you're probably poor and shouldn't be buying 1500$ prototypes.

What if this obnoxiously over-priced prototype was glitchy, incomplete, and less fun than a trip to the dentist?  What if some malevolent collector came out from the shadows and offered you an awe-inspiring sum of cash for this game as long as it's not shared/distributed? 
If it was glitchy, incomplete, and less fun than the dentist, I'd hand that shit out.  Maybe someone can fix it.

If some toolbag offered me a ton of money, I'd take the money, release it anyways, and tell him to pound sand.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

BeaglePuss

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
If some toolbag offered me a ton of money, I'd take the money, release it anyways, and tell him to pound sand.
Hmmm... I like you're style.

For the sake of clarity, I don't actually use any denomination of paper money to wipe my butthole.  I use toilet paper, but it's only single ply.  Make what you will of that.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
So to that I'd say how you will be judged here by most is probably how you handle the Marble Madness thing, not prior deeds done elsewhere, if that even matters to you or not.

This doesn't seem like the type of place that would be too fond of prototype hoarders from what I've gathered thus far.

So what exactly are you doing here then? It sounds more or less like you did come here to try to drum up business, only to realize no one here is interested in tossing thousands your way, or to simply brag and stir up shit. Considering all you have is Marble Madness, to be blunt, you don't really have much leverage here.

BeaglePuss

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »

This doesn't seem like the type of place that would be too fond of prototype hoarders from what I've gathered thus far.

So what exactly are you doing here then? It sounds more or less like you did come here to try to drum up business, only to realize no one here is interested in tossing thousands your way, or to simply brag and stir up shit. Considering all you have is Marble Madness, to be blunt, you don't really have much leverage here.
Read through the MM thread again.  I didn't start fielding offers in that thread, and I certainly didn't "stir shit up."  I didn't so much as mention any intentions of selling the game at all in fact. 

I shared some pictures of a game I unearthed that I thought people would be interested in seeing.  That's pretty much the long and short of it.  I don't really think I need(ed) "leverage," whatever that's supposed to mean.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Per as I said above, so what exactly are you doing here? And yes, coming here to blame toss and throw insults is stirring shit up.  :roll:

BeaglePuss

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »
Per as I said above, so what exactly are you doing here? And yes, coming here to blame toss and throw insults is stirring shit up.  :roll:
If you find anything I've said to be "insulting" you're either reading impaired or need to grow thicker skin.

As for why I'm here, the same reason as you I would imagine.  I mean, I joined the site in 2007 well before I ever purchased Marble Madness.  I didn't join 5 some-odd years ago hoping to bust your balls. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:17 AM »
Yeah, I do kind of wonder about this...what is the point of showing pictures of a thing you have if you aren't looking for buyers and a ROM releases isn't imminent? It's like you just want to see people whine...because that's all your going to get. What else can happen?

I suppose there will be a few dick riders who say, "Gee sir, you sure are awesome for having lots of money!" but those sorts of toadies are pretty rare, thankfully.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
Per as I said above, so what exactly are you doing here? And yes, coming here to blame toss and throw insults is stirring shit up.  :roll:
If you find anything I've said to be "insulting" you're either reading impaired or need to grow thicker skin.

As for why I'm here, the same reason as you I would imagine.  I mean, I joined the site in 2007 well before I ever purchased Marble Madness.  I didn't join 5 some-odd years ago hoping to bust your balls.  

You coming here and insinuating you've contributed more in general then actual members of this community who ACTIVELY post here, let alone work on home brew releases, is indeed insulting, as is your general attitude concerning the entire matter.  And no, joining 5 years ago and managing barely 30 post in said 5 years, your reason for being here is easily a far f*cking cry from my own. So again, I ask, what exactly are you doing here?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:48:41 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »