Author Topic: What are YOU watching on YouTube.com?  (Read 101103 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: What are YOU watching on YouTube.com?
« Reply #375 on: March 03, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
Choco!  Party!  Goo goo!

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #376 on: March 04, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »
Hahah best Karate Kid tribute music video ever! You get to see modern day versions of Ralph Macchio, William "Johnny" Zabka, Martin Kove and I think the rest of the Cobra Kais.

"Sweep the Leg" by No More Kings

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:00:43 AM by Ninja Spirit »

akamichi

« Reply #377 on: March 05, 2007, 01:30:44 AM »
That video was freaking awesome!  Funny as hell!  Watching that just made my day.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #378 on: March 05, 2007, 03:07:04 AM »
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6307683077762423268&q=galactica+gag&hl=en

Yea its not on youtube,but its still funny. I'm kinda annoyed how last nights eps went of Battlestar. Not that I really like the Starbuck character all that much,but it was  a wonky way to go,and if indeed she is a Cylon,that makes visiting her mom in visions to come to a reckoning with death kinda stupid.

TR0N

« Reply #379 on: March 05, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »
Worst Zelda ever !  :lol: :lol:
Gux Zelda CD-I Experince
Drunk Mario
Yes even plumbers have a dirty mouth  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:57:52 PM by Tron »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

td741

« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2007, 03:01:55 AM »
Well, it's not on Youtube, but Keranu might appreciate this. 

In the early '80's, there was this educational program on TVO (aka TVOntario, sort of like PBS in the US) called "Read All About It" (http://www.tv.com/read-all-about-it/show/23715/summary.html).  There are 2 seasons, each having 20 episodes, 15 minutes in length.  For some dumb reason, the show only aired in late mornings or early afternoons (when the target audience was still in school.)  I was only able to catch the show when during vacation or when I was home sick.

About 5 years ago, I sent a message to TVO about purchasing a copy of the show or find out its airing schedule.  (Something triggered a memory and I was once again curious to actually know the whole storyline.)  If I remember correctly, I was informed that the show stopped airing and either TVOntario no longer had the rights to distribute the show or it no longer had the masters.

What's the appeal of the show? 

It's about a group of kids (3 in the first season) who are given access to an old house when one of the kid's uncles went missing and is presumed dead.  Unknown to the kids, this uncle was an inventor.  Inside the coach house they find two... err...  A.I.'s (They called themselves "Thinking Machines")?  One of them, Otto, is in the form of a printer with eyes that types out his messages.  The other, Theta, is more or less a television that uses speech while occasionally displaying the words on screen.  The uncle leaves the children a message that there is a conspiracy and they need to continue his work.  So the children decide to start a newspaper to investigate.  They later find out that the house has a transporter, and that part of the conspiracy involves an evil tyrant from another galaxy...

The educational portion of the show was mainly about teaching vocabulary (hence words being printed.)  The children were also often confronted with word-puzzles.  The children's acting leaved a lot to be desired, and there are a couple of filler episodes (with singing?!).  However, given the age of the show, and its obvious low-budget, the season 1 story-arc is actually pretty well thought-out. :P  I haven't watched Season 2 yet, but from what I remember there is some time-travel and Canadian history, so that season might not be as interesting to those outside of Canada. :P

And it's presently only available to download with very crappy encoding secretly hidden on a site (moderators, feel free to remove the link if fear of copyright infringement issues):
First link:
http://broszkowski.com/tv/readallaboutit/read_1_1.wmv... To access the other episodes, change the link to read_1_2.wmv, read_1_3.wmv, all the way to 20.  For season 2, change the first digit to a 2 and the second digits from 1 to 20 again. (i.e. read_2_1.wmv to read_2_20.wmv).

Each file is about 5 megs each.  It's best to download each file sequentially.  The first time I tried to download a bunch of the files simultaneously, the server died. ;)

Edit: Need more sleep...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:31:00 AM by td741 »

Keranu

« Reply #381 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:49 AM »
That sounds like a fantastic show, td741, thanks for the info and links! I'll be sure to watch some of that later.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

td741

« Reply #382 on: March 06, 2007, 05:31:34 AM »
Your welcome... Let me know what you think. ;)

esteban

« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2007, 08:16:19 AM »
Well, it's not on Youtube, but Keranu might appreciate this. 

In the early '80's, there was this educational program on TVO (aka TVOntario, sort of like PBS in the US) called "Read All About It" (http://www.tv.com/read-all-about-it/show/23715/summary.html).  There are 2 seasons, each having 20 episodes, 15 minutes in length.  For some dumb reason, the show only aired in late mornings or early afternoons (when the target audience was still in school.)  I was only able to catch the show when during vacation or when I was home sick.

About 5 years ago, I sent a message to TVO about purchasing a copy of the show or find out its airing schedule.  (Something triggered a memory and I was once again curious to actually know the whole storyline.)  If I remember correctly, I was informed that the show stopped airing and either TVOntario no longer had the rights to distribute the show or it no longer had the masters.

What's the appeal of the show? 

It's about a group of kids (3 in the first season) who are given access to an old house when one of the kid's uncles went missing and is presumed dead.  Unknown to the kids, this uncle was an inventor.  Inside the coach house they find two... err...  A.I.'s (They called themselves "Thinking Machines")?  One of them, Otto, is in the form of a printer with eyes that types out his messages.  The other, Theta, is more or less a television that uses speech while occasionally displaying the words on screen.  The uncle leaves the children a message that there is a conspiracy and they need to continue his work.  So the children decide to start a newspaper to investigate.  They later find out that the house has a transporter, and that part of the conspiracy involves an evil tyrant from another galaxy...

The educational portion of the show was mainly about teaching vocabulary (hence words being printed.)  The children were also often confronted with word-puzzles.  The children's acting leaved a lot to be desired, and there are a couple of filler episodes (with singing?!).  However, given the age of the show, and its obvious low-budget, the season 1 story-arc is actually pretty well thought-out. :P  I haven't watched Season 2 yet, but from what I remember there is some time-travel and Canadian history, so that season might not be as interesting to those outside of Canada. :P

And it's presently only available to download with very crappy encoding secretly hidden on a site (moderators, feel free to remove the link if fear of copyright infringement issues):
First link:
http://broszkowski.com/tv/readallaboutit/read_1_1.wmv... To access the other episodes, change the link to read_1_2.wmv, read_1_3.wmv, all the way to 20.  For season 2, change the first digit to a 2 and the second digits from 1 to 20 again. (i.e. read_2_1.wmv to read_2_20.wmv).

Each file is about 5 megs each.  It's best to download each file sequentially.  The first time I tried to download a bunch of the files simultaneously, the server died. ;)

Edit: Need more sleep...
Jesus Christ this sounds awesome td! I don't think I've ever heard / seen this show before (but PBS did play a lot of TVO stuff, so I'll have to watch the episodes to see if anything is remotely recognizable... though from your description I highly doubt I've seen it).

Sounds awesome! There wasn't a talking typewriter in this show? With big eyes? And a blonde girl with pig-tails? Probably not... but I had to ask.
  |    | 

td741

« Reply #384 on: March 06, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
There is a blond girl in pig-tails named "Lynne", and the Otto does have big eyes and could be considered a typewriter although being more of a nerd I thought he was more of a printer.  He didn't use speech though, just beep and print out stuff...  A "closeup" of the print-out would be used to show the words Otto would type.

The other characters is Samantha (the "smart-one", although it's not like everyone relied on her for all of the answers).  And Chris the only guy in the group (at least for Season 1, and part of Season 2 at least.)

esteban

« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2007, 01:54:13 PM »
There is a blond girl in pig-tails named "Lynne", and the Otto does have big eyes and could be considered a typewriter although being more of a nerd I thought he was more of a printer.  He didn't use speech though, just beep and print out stuff...  A "closeup" of the print-out would be used to show the words Otto would type.

The other characters is Samantha (the "smart-one", although it's not like everyone relied on her for all of the answers).  And Chris the only guy in the group (at least for Season 1, and part of Season 2 at least.)
DO YOU FRIGGIN' UNDERSTAND THAT YOU JUST MADE MY DAY??!! I whimsically put this on my XMAS list a few months ago! HOLY CRAP I never thought that someone on these boards would know the answer!

You sir, f*cking rule! I can tell you that this series aired on PBS stations up until the mid- to late- eighties. I loved the show... it was eery! I recall some neat soundscapes (like dripping water in a cave that echoes). If my memory serves me, then the other show(s) I referenced in the aforementioned thread must also have been TVO productions! So, if you find out the name of the show where the mustachioed artist draws pictures whilst narrating stories, tell me! I recall an episode with "Pickle Juice" and another episode with a young boy who wants to start a toothpaste business but can't figure out how to put toothpaste into a tube (he buys a whole crate of tubes at a flea market or something).

Awesome!

And I still haven't watched the videos you linked too because I'm on a mac. :)
  |    | 

td741

« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2007, 02:13:55 AM »
DO YOU FRIGGIN' UNDERSTAND THAT YOU JUST MADE MY DAY??!! I whimsically put this on my XMAS list a few months ago! HOLY CRAP I never thought that someone on these boards would know the answer!

Well if it looked like this: http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/read.html then that's the show?

Here is a small list of other TVO shows: http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/

esteban

« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2007, 04:15:38 AM »

Well if it looked like this: http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/read.html then that's the show?
That's the show! The funny thing is, I only remember the girl Lynne and the typewriter / printer thing. I don't remember much else (except Lynne sneaking around inside hallways / rooms).

As for the TVO shows, man, I used to watch a whole bunch of them (courtesy PBS). I've been trying to find a picutre of John Robbins to see if "Readit" is the show I'm thinking of. There was an identical show with the same format (artist drawing in real-time while story is narrated) but with a crusty gray-haired trollish grandma. She was a great artist, too, but she didn't have the charisma (or the fierce seriousness) of the flannel-shirted dude.
  |    | 

td741

« Reply #388 on: March 08, 2007, 05:41:32 AM »
Awesome!  I didn't expect anyone else on this forum to have watched the show.

I hope you enjoy it!  I finished watching the second season.  The first half isn't that great but the 2nd half is actually pretty good...

esteban

« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »
Awesome!  I didn't expect anyone else on this forum to have watched the show.

I hope you enjoy it!  I finished watching the second season.  The first half isn't that great but the 2nd half is actually pretty good...

It's a one in a billion chance, but have you ever seen "High Feather" ?  It was most likely a PBS production, set in a summer camp, and it was a great "teen" drama. It was allegedly designed to teach health / hygiene, but I never realized that as a kid. Anyway, I tried to find info about this show many, many years ago and only found one person who knew about it.

The theme song was absolutely friggin' beautiful, too. It had everything! I don't think it has aired since mid-eighties.
  |    |