Author Topic: ACD games... feasible?  (Read 2522 times)

TheClash603

Re: ACD games... feasible?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
Yeah, you definitely need to make an awesome ACD RPG!

...and by awesome ACD RPG, I definitely mean co-op beat-em-up.

Bardoly

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »

Far as the ACD option, I say go for it.  A lot of peeps do already have an Arcade Card, and I am sure others would pick one up to play this.  Sure, there will be those that will not go for it, so there will be sales lost there.  However, I'd rather see Rover give it his all, than reduce the game to fit into Super CD specs.

I completely agree with you Bernie.
I don't have an Arcade Card yet, but it's already on my wish list, but if it weren't already, it for sure would be if Old Rover's proposal became reality.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
We could probably make things easier to conquer in regards to some of our projects, if we were able to go ACD on em'.

nodtveidt

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
Dragon Arm would be totally sick as an ACD game, and JB's current space problems would be annihilated as an ACD game.

lord_cack

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »
I know what this is saying, out here in the open, but JB would be awesome as an ACD. There are soooo many things I would love to be able to do with it that just seem to be, well not possible.

Also, if we are talking about it not being worth it because of the time invested, who is going to take that step and try and work this thing out? If no one takes the initiative then it will ALWAYS just be there, taunting us with its goodness  :D

[EDIT]

Also, there are loads of other ideas I have that will most likely require that little extra to make it extraordinary  :D  :| :roll:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:31:09 AM by lord_cack »
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
Using the ACD would cut out quite a bit of the stored data in JB, allowing us much more code room, thus allowing for more things to be done. It wouldn't reduce subsequent load times by a whole lot, as we'd just fill in that freed space with whatever code is missing right now. If MSR had used the ACD, the load times would have disappeared entirely, as both major programs could have been in executable memory at the same time, and everything, right down to the maps, could have been pulled from ACD RAM rather than hardcoded into each execoverlay. The ACD is there... we should use it. :)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
In regards to extra time spent to make our games to take advantage of the ACD, we've already been doing that without trying!  JB has so many dang frames of animation, that we'd probably have to cut alot just to make it a SCD.  That's the problem we're up against right now, but if people are favorable to the ACD, then that should in theory, solve our problem, atleast with that particular game.

Edmond Dantes

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
Sorry I'm late (and also that I disappeared from these forums for like a year), but my two cents is...

The way I see it, another ACD game justifies owning an arcade card.  So I'd love to see it.

esteban

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

Question: ACD?

Answer: Yes. As long as someone sells me an Arcade Card, CHEAP.
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
You don't have an ACD, Esteban? This needs to be remedied.

SamIAm

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
PM Sent

esteban

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
You don't have an ACD, Esteban? This needs to be remedied.

I had one (or two?) years ago, but I must have lost them at some point (possibly during one of my moves...sadly, I can't find a few other items, either...)

You have no idea how much I've wanted to play through some games again--only to remember I don't have the damn system card.

|    | 

esteban

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
Anyone who buys PCE homebrew and doesn't have an AC is...an idiot, probably a mythical idiot. Don't let mythical idiots hold you back.

At the same time...if the ACD makes it easier for you to make the game you want to make (if having the extra memory helps) then by all means go ahead. It seems pretty quixotic though. That is, do you have even close to the kind of huge resources needed to fill an ACD? One of the reasons the ACD died a such a sad death was that nobody could utilize it well without losing money hand over fist. Like...not even Hudson could make it work so...good luck!

seieienbu

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 05:42:21 AM »
I've had an Arcade Card Pro for about 12 years, I got it off of ebay for $20 iirc.  I didn't get a super system card until earlier this year.  I did things kinda backwards, I guess.  Just looked on ebay a minute ago and there's 1 reasonably priced arcade card with a few days left and a bunch for $100.  That's way more expensive than I thought it'd go for.

I'd be interested in new ACD games.  I think an RPG that made good use of all the additional space could be interesting to play.  Also be cool if an ACD Supergrafx game existed, but as I don't have a supergrafx I don't care too terribly much about that idea other than as a curiosity.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93