Author Topic: ACD games... feasible?  (Read 2520 times)

nodtveidt

ACD games... feasible?
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
So I'm wondering how feasible it is to invest massive amounts of time in a game designed for the arcade card... do enough people have them to make it worthwhile?

Bernie

Re: ACD games... feasible?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
Im sure its worth while.  And for people that do not have them, is it possible to just make it bi-compatible like some of the PCE games? 

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
I've run the calculations many times now and it seems impossible with the regular system RAM if everything is included that I want in it... it'd be like trying to squeeze Sapphire into regular system RAM... just not gonna happen unless tons of stuff is cut from the design.

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
I've run the calculations many times now and it seems impossible with the regular system RAM if everything is included that I want in it... it'd be like trying to squeeze Sapphire into regular system RAM... just not gonna happen unless tons of stuff is cut from the design.

ahhh, ok.  :)  Not sure then.  For those of us with Arcade Cards, it would be awesome.  But, I suspect a lot of people arent going to want to buy a card AND the game.  Suck, cause that may leave you with a lot of extra product.  But then again, who knows.

nodtveidt

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
I'd really have to strip it down to make it work with the normal system RAM, and that would really suck. :( The big issue is graphics... it uses a lot of large sprites. If this was a hucard, it'd be at least 64mbit, if not larger, and would have to use banking a la SFII'. And yes, I'm talking about the monstrous RPG here... in case you were wondering. If I put all of those graphics in the ACD RAM banks, the game will work fine, well within spec.

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »
Arcade Cards are cheap and plentiful. There is no excuse for anyone not to have one. If a game is massive enough to require the Arcade Card, then people will line up to buy it. Plus, like half the sales of any game will be collectors who have no intention of ever unsealing the game anyway. Noobs are always complaining about how it's way too expensive to play PCE CD games at all. What's another <$50 on top of their $150 - $300 "investment"? It would be different if you were making a unique system card to go with a CD game (like Games Express) and the combo would retail for $200 or something.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TheClash603

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
Go for it!  All homebrew games should be ACD, lets boost the library!

Lost Monkey

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »
I think the demographics of people wanting homebrew would have a lot of overlap with people owning an arcade card. 

On the other hand, a good ACD homebrew game would possibly drive the price of the ACD through the roof, in which case it might not be a bad idea to develop homebrew ACD hardware. 

Nando

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »
It would be different if you were making a unique system card to go with a CD game (like Games Express) and the combo would retail for $200 or something.

Are there any Knock-off system cards around? That work for all games?

Pardon the ignorance here but would it be possible to create a compatible sys card with the Arcade specs? not taking into consideration costs or anything like that, just curious.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
Well before we get too carried away with this, two questions: Do we have any idea on how many arcade cards were made? Is it possible to reproduce them if we needed to have more?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:55:41 AM »
Just going to throw it out there that no, its not worth f*cking around.

For the amount of effort you would have to invest, you are limiting your target audience significantly...

assuming you get everything done and working.   

I don't advise blowing time on it
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »
Well before we get too carried away with this, two questions: Do we have any idea on how many arcade cards were made? Is it possible to reproduce them if we needed to have more?

I think that the more important questions are:

How many copies of any one Turbo/PCE game have been sold (or more to the point, how many single people bought copies since many by multiples)?

How many people who actually play homebrew games actually play them on real hardware exclusively?

If an ACD game is going to be sold for $30 - $40, then the cost of buying an Arcade Card if you need one only brings the overall cost near the rapidly selling retail price of Pier Solar. But if the hope is that as many as one thousand people will buy the game, I don't think that the supply of Arcade Cards will be an issue.

It would be different if you were making a unique system card to go with a CD game (like Games Express) and the combo would retail for $200 or something.

Are there any Knock-off system cards around? That work for all games?

Pardon the ignorance here but would it be possible to create a compatible sys card with the Arcade specs? not taking into consideration costs or anything like that, just curious.

They are unique and only work with one to a handful of games designed for them.

Some people have been working towards a "super" Arcade Card that would work on either region and do extra stuff, but it's still a ways off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:28:42 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 04:26:17 AM »
If we could get a new system card ala the AbCards, I would think it wouldn't be a problem, wink wink, nudge nudge Arky!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:37:31 AM »
If we could get a new system card ala the AbCards, I would think it wouldn't be a problem, wink wink, nudge nudge Arky!

get an Arcade CD game completed in a timely fashion is the problem.   You could say "Oh i dont mind waiting" all you want, I personally wouldn't want to wait 5-10 years for one Arcade CD game when you can probably get 2 or 3 normal games done in in that timespan.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 05:09:52 AM »
How about Super Grafx Arcade CDs?  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).