Author Topic: "Dracula X PC Port Project" (status: abandoned)  (Read 1918 times)

Pcenginefx

"Dracula X PC Port Project" Status
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 05:41:01 AM »
Quote from: "rolins"
Very cool stuff Aaron.   :)

When is the backflip going to be implemented?

Are you planning have voice-overs and redrawn cutscenes?

I have put the backflip move on my low-priority list due to the movement code involved.  Not as hard as stairs, but hard none-the-less.

As for the cutscenes, I'd like to try to do either the opening narration intro, or the intro to Stage 00...we will see.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Pcenginefx

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 05:44:49 AM »
Quote from: "malducci"
Nice! What did you write the code in?

It was created with Game Maker v6 - you can check out the program and demo over at http://www.gamemaker.nl .  I used about 75% "drag-and-drop" code and the rest was "real" code.  Half-way though, I had to re-write the entire engine when I found a better way to do things so that took another week :\
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 05:50:24 AM »
Quote from: "NightWolve"
Holy... What the?? Man Aaron, that's fantastic! I don't believe it. How far are you gonna go with this?

--

Ah darn, no workie for me. I'll try another Windows partition and see if it behaves better than on my XP.

How far will I go?  Hmm.  Well, I think once I get the basic engine free of bugs, I can go as far as I pretty much want.  At this point, I'd like to get Stage 00, Stage 01 and Stage 02 complete.  Then after that, I'd like to re-visit Lords of Thunder PC Port and get the entire 1st level done.

What version of XP you running NightWolve?  I have only tested it on XP Pro SP2.

And to all - thanks for your comments!  There isn't much meat to the demo, so I'm glad everyone likes it so far.
//Aaron

NightWolve

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 07:29:48 PM »
Yeah, same here. XP Pro with latest SP2 also. Auto-update feature is always on, so I keep it up-to-date.

Details, if it helps: I load it up, click enter twice to get passed the load and help screens, then on the first stage right when you can see Richter, I get this:

FM-77

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 03:21:36 AM »
Quote from: "NightWolve"
Yeah, same here. XP Pro with latest SP2 also. Auto-update feature is always on, so I keep it up-to-date.

Details, if it helps: I load it up, click enter twice to get passed the load and help screens, then on the first stage right when you can see Richter, I get this:

Very odd. That's a common problem with Game Maker programs (when you make mistakes), but it works for everybody else but you. Which is strange, since that is a program error and shouldn't work for anybody.

Did you try to re-download the program? I can't believe you get that error!

NightWolve

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »
I just played it on my Win98 partition. The load time is almost bearable there. Anyway, that's a trip seeing this kind of work done.

nodtveidt

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
It runs pretty horribly here...but then again, this is the second GameMaker game I've run on this system, and neither ran very well anyways.

Aaron, if you get the time, you should perhaps try coding this with a proper compiler...might take a bit longer but the results are definately worth it.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 09:08:17 AM »
NightWolve,

I totally agree with Seldane - you shouldn't have seen that error at all if it is working for other people....that is extremely strange.  I will be doing major cleanup work of the code in the next build and so may work better for you then.

nodtveidt,

I'd LOVE to code this in something else, but I'm using Gamemaker for a reason...I don't know any coding languages and don't really have a desire to learn any either (other than what Gamemaker provides).  Another big reason is that I really don't have the time, so GM is the next best thing for something like this.
//Aaron

Squaresoft74

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 06:37:07 PM »
Héhé so you made the project public. :D
Keep up the great work Aaron. :wink:

motdelbuort

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 04:52:28 PM »
Unfortunately it ran like mollasses for me, using XP PRO SP 2 but with a 1.14 GHz processor and 256 MB RAM.

Best of luck though! It's really unfortunate Konami never slapped this game on a compilation disc.

Aksx

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 12:40:46 AM »
I think you are right guys! :)
God bless America!

CosMind

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »
very slick.  you're the first cat i've seen rocking console game ports with the gm toolset.

can't wait until you complete this project.

PyroX

I am Willing to help
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 02:41:27 PM »
Hello i think this is a great project hell ive been wanting to play this game for a long time since iplayed SOTN and i can programm and i may be 14 But im good Lol working on a FF7 re make myself but ill put that aside For this!!!!
my e mail is BlackRose_Cloud@yahoo.com so if you want my hellp just e mail me ttyl  :D
Meh im here for only one project.....

maf

Update?
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 02:45:27 AM »
Hi. Has there been any more progress on this PC version of Dracula X? The WIP screens look very good.

I have the PC Engine CD version, but I'm interested to see this homebrew released for general consumption :)

Cheers!

Dark Fact

Re: "Dracula X PC Port Project" Status
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 04:32:46 AM »
I've had the privilege of testing this out the other day and it looks pretty good for a start.  However, you weren't kidding about all the bugs, Aaron, and boy howdy were there plenty.

-For instance, when I hold down up+right or any other movement key combo, Richter just stays in one place while it shows him walking.  You'll need to look into that.
-No items were given out from the pyres.  That'll need to be worked on.
-Only one screen so far.  It doesn't even show any transition to the next screen when Richter goes all the way to the right hand side of the screen.  If you haven't put up any new screens for the next part of the level, you may end the game with a placeholder after Richter walks off the right hand side of the screen saying "Thanks for trying out the demo.  More developments coming soon!" or something like that.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!