Author Topic: PYRAMID PLUNDER IS ON SALE NOW. BUY BUY BUY. GO GO GO.  (Read 3338 times)

sunteam_paul

Re: Pyramid Plunder...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 04:44:38 AM »
We'll have to look at the ending sequence again, Arkhan had the final files with all the palettes sorted which took ages because of their fiddly nature. I have the raw art but it's not paletted properly. We might just have to bin some of the more complex elements as I'm not going through all that again.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

spenoza

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of progress. I'm sure we don't mind the delays nearly as much as you mind having to re-do some hard work.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

discomeats

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
I don't want to make light of this situation but hopefully it should illuminate the need for making sure you take more care in your work environment. But it's good to know that you've fought on to make sure it all happens, even if it is later than you'd hoped.
This post has been rigorously checked for conifers.

If you're not ready to defend your clams, don't don't leave them unguarded in a crate on the beach.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
... make light... illuminate...

Heh, you're a card.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
ok, so

the mobo seems okay (it passes POST checks), but the video card is fried.

The HDD card (on drive) is fried - OldMan gets garbage characters in the ID for a MAXTOR drive, and a disk dump in Linux is showing some bits as 0, always.

The backup drive hasn't been fully examined yet. We have plenty of computers to replace the dead one if it comes to that.

The machine in question was running XP.  It'll take some time to get all the drivers/crap reinstalled.

Overall, we only lost about 2 weeks of work, but it may take that long to rebuild the computer when all is said and done (It probably won't.  Depends how fried things are once a new system drive is tossed in and we see what else is messed up).  And, this is assuming the backup drive didn't get fried too .
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

NightWolve

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »
Hmm, so it spins up, registers as a hard drive when connected and all that, but reads nothing but zeros, plus the manufacturer info returns garbage... The jolt of electrical blast either did a mass format or the circuitry/heads simply fail to work when it comes to reading, etc. I guess, yeah, it would take professionals to get something out of that drive now, sad to say...

If he's absolutely sure, he had a program that read the drive from start to finish and it only returned zeros, then I guess you can write that drive off. If it was me, I would get DriveImage (http://runtime.org/data-recovery-products.htm) to create a compressed backup image of the drive and save it to another computer. If it's nothing but zeros, as you say, then the compressed image would be small. I would leave it running before I go to sleep and see what happens in the morning. If the resulting image is in gigabytes, then that means there is something to work with and salvage. So the next program I'd want to use is DiskExplorer (Just checked, yeah, they have a Linux version). This program opens up a hex looking editor interface to the actual drive or a drive image and allows you to scan the whole thing sector by sector for unique strings or bytes of what you want to recover and know is actually on there. I'd connect it to this drive image and I'd do a Find Text using a unique string from one of the project's source files. Like if you had something unique like "pyramid++;" in a C source file and what not, you'd start the search, leave it running all night, go to sleep, and if fragments of the file still exist, it'd find it! This method assumes that most MFTs are destroyed and most files are considered "lost" so something like GetDataBack can't do automated recovery, so you have to manually recover some files that you really need using this approach... I have done it myself successfully actually.

Personal note: This made me think it's probably worth the trouble to upgrade the outlet for one's computer center to a GFCI receptacle... I would assume Oldman had the standard power strip with 15 Amp circuit breaker, plus surge protection and this lamp was plugged in from the same outlet (but not necessarily through the same power strip). When this work-lamp hit the metal chassis of the PC, breaking the bulb, exposing the metal contacts and Bulbageddon ensued, at best you only had 15 Amp overload protection as it was arcing and sending electrical current into the PC...

If the outlet was a GFCI type, this disaster would've been detected as leakage in milliseconds and the breaker would've been tripped far earlier than from the 15 Amp overload protection by itself (wherever this lamp was plugged, the house electrical service panel likely had a 15 Amp breaker at least) or from the fact that the bulb metal material would fry itself on the chassis and eventually stop conducting current with no 15 Amp overload breakers actually being tripped (possible - did a breaker trip and cut power off OR did it fry itself allowing him to unplug it without that happening?)! Anyway, yeah, that's why you have to have these expensive outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, etc. because they trip on leakage, not just on overload, to prevent electric shock and possible death. New blow dryers usually include them on the plug in case your home doesn't have such outlets (new homes must be built with them per NEC codes). More modern homes I believe just have this support from the service panel actually along with surge protection, so even better.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:37:57 AM by NightWolve »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 01:32:57 PM »
So, the backups worked way better than we expected.   :-" Look at them!

So, with this, the game is officially on sale!   :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

www.aetherbyte.com/pce_pyramid.html

I would like to thank all of you for:

1) Not flipping-the-hell out at the "delays".
2) Going above and beyond to offer help and assistance in the matter of fixing things.  That kind of attitude is what makes this stuff worth the effort.  

and also, I would like to thank you all in advance for:

1) Not kicking me in the nuts the next time you see me for pulling a prank on you all. :)

The posters you see in the picture will be on sale here first, as soon as I find some nice tubes to ship them in.  They are going to be 10$.

The sweet banner you see dangling there will NOT be on sale, but, it will be dangling off the table at CCAG 2013 where we will be demoing the latest build of Atlantean and Inferno,

and we will be selling Pyramid Plunder and Insanity, as always :)

The proceeds from sales will be used to help fund the AbCard.  Speaking of the AbCard, we will be posting the Protocade games and stuff on Aetherbyte.com very shortly as well.  That way you can all check those out, and see what went into them.

OBEY PCE.

go go go!

NightWolve

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
Ah f*ck, you SOB! We got "punked" on something like this ?? Pffffft. Goddamn it! I feel so stupid for buying his story; I rationalized the plausibility of it, bulb breaking on the metal chassis of a PC, arc'ing for a bit and sending raw 120V AC into it if only for a second or two before the breaker tripped and what not. But then, technically, the grounded chassis/body of a PC shouldn't be connected to the motherboard and damage shouldn't have occurred in theory unless you're dealing with super high voltages, so I dunno... All that said, this was Arkhan...... f*ck, and I wondered why he was passing posts and questions by, not really taking the advice too seriously, etc... Naw, that shit wasn't cool, dude... Not at all!

Mishran

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Awesome guys! I'll be placing an order for one soon.

So Atlantean comes next, then Retrocade?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
Ah f*ck, you SOB! We got "punked" on something like this ?? Pffffft. Goddamn it! I feel so stupid for buying his story; I rationalized the plausibility of it, bulb breaking on the metal chassis of a PC, arc'ing for a bit and sending raw 120V AC into it if only for a second or two before the breaker tripped and what not. But then, technically, the grounded chassis/body of a PC shouldn't be connected to the motherboard and damage shouldn't have occurred in theory unless you're dealing with super high voltages, so I dunno... All that said, this was Arkhan...... f*ck, and I wondered why he was passing posts and questions by, not really taking the advice too seriously, etc... Naw, that shit wasn't cool, dude... Not at all!

*hug*

You still love me, right? :D

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 02:32:14 PM »
I thought it was funny. :) But seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if a bulb did crash into the mobo and kill everything if it was some cheapie PC chips motherboard or something. Here I was talling up yet another project DOA due to hardware failure (I doubt anyone remembers the Dragon Quest V fiasco). Anyway, looks like I need to buy yet another homebrewn gem!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:35:40 PM by BigusSchmuck »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
The story is based off something that really happened though. :D

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
The story is based off something that really happened though. :D

About the only time I have ever seen a motheboard lite up was when my boss put in a pciepxress connector where you were supposed to put in the 4 pin power connector. It actually blew the capacitors on the board.

BlueBMW

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
Ordered!  Cmon peeps, pony up and buy dis shit!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
When I get paid in 4 days I'll buy a copy.