Author Topic: PYRAMID PLUNDER IS ON SALE NOW. BUY BUY BUY. GO GO GO.  (Read 3339 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
PYRAMID PLUNDER IS ON SALE NOW. BUY BUY BUY. GO GO GO.
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »

DISREGARD ALL THE STUFF DOWN THERE.  IT WAS TOTALLY A MARCH FOOLS JOKE.

......Might be a bit delayed.

There was a bit of a mishap that took out the computer PP was on.  One of those industrial work-lamps with the big incandescent bulbs crashed down onto the machine while they were both on, and the resultant crash-bang-boom screwed up the computer.

OldMan gave me a call (which isn't normal since he rarely uses phones) to tell me what was up.  I went and surveyed the damage.  

Yeah, the computer is a bit... special now.  The blast took out the video card, the HDD, and maybe more things.  We will see.

We're going to work out what all went byebye Pyramid Plunder wise, but so far it looks like we've lost some of the most recent changes to the game.  The USB backups might be recoverable and accessible once we're done fiddledicking around and getting the components in the machine replaced and the entire thing is back up and running.

Worst (most likely, given the current evidence) case scenario, we're going to be delayed about 2 months as we see what we can salvage after repairing the machine.  Then we have to put it all back into the game, retest everything, and make sure we didn't miss anything major.

It could've been worse!

Maybe?

.. yeah, no, this sucks...

I will keep you posted.   OldMan probably won't do much posting seeing as his computer is exploded and all.  

Fingers crossed, people!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:35:20 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: Pyramid Plunder...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
I'm surprised you guys didn't make a few back ups of each change stored at different locations, but sometimes unforeseeable shit just happens anyway and that is probably being over protective maybe anyhow. Hopefully you guys get it back up and going pretty quick without too much trouble, and sorry to hear that happened.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about the bad news! Hopefully the data can be recovered
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
I am outraged!  How could you let this happen!?!  We here at Frozen Utopia would never let such mundane things happen to our games!  Infact, we release all our games several years earlier then we plan, that's how great we are! :D

All seriousness aside, that sucks, spit happens though.  Time & unforeseen circumstance.  I'm sure ya'll be up & running in no time, no worries Arky, people will wait!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Yeah I guess we didn't exactly plan for lightbulb Armageddon damage.

henrycsc

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Go figure!  I had a dream that this project had gone the way of PC Cocoron and that the only living copy would wind up in a museum somewhere.

Does this mean we can trash-talk, since OldMan won't be around to defend himself?
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
You know if you guys are running Windows 7 and have a usb backup hard drive the backup utility on Win7 is superb especially the image part. I have recovered soooo many machines with it at work it ain't funny. If you guys are looking for a another pc, I may be able to help you out as I got one that needs a power supply and a hard drive. Its got a 4870 Radeon 1gb gddr5 video card in it, 4 gigs of RAM, Phenom 2 quadcore @ 3.0ghz, full atx tower case and a ide dvd drive. I might even part it out as there really isn't anything wrong with it. Let me know....

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:23:11 PM by BigusSchmuck »

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »

Ha yeah seriously. Sometimes shit just happens. It cant be helped, and at least it doesn't look like it will set you back too much time wise. Well, Bigus made a offer there, but I also have some spare ram too I can contribute if you need some to get a system going again. I have some DDR2 and DDR3 both, though the DDR3 is ECC so you'd need to make sure the board can handle it. If you need some drop me a pm.

NightWolve

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Does the HDD spin up at all when connected to another outside power source ?? Well, I hope you can salvage it. If it at least spins up, there's a chance to do it yourself with software like GetDataBackforNTFS which has bailed me out from boot or early sector damage many times. If it that's important, and it doesn't, I should think it's possible to take it to professionals to take out the platters, put 'em in another similar model (I guess that's partly how they do it), spin it up and see what files can be salvaged off. Disaster Recovery services are still pretty damn expensive though, eh ?? Well, I guess the better bet is the USB backup that you mention.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:52:05 PM by NightWolve »

TheClash603

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
Yikes.

Best of luck fixing the shitz.

SuperPlay

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »

"lightbulb Armageddon" LOL

However on a serious note your situation does suck big time! This is a release I was looking forward too.

Is the PC totally dead?  Have you re-seated all components?

Also if you PC powers on but does not boot: As NightWolve says you may be OK, if the drive does spin and not clatter!   +1 for  GetDataBackforNTFS we use this at work and it has saved our bacon a few times!

You can get a trial of the software here:

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Also you could always pick up an external drive adapter and connect the drive to another PC.  Something similar to

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4251235&Sku=YYS2-4378878

If you decide to pick one of these up make sure that you have the correct interface on the adapter (eg if this is an PATA laptop drive)

Sorry if you already know this stuff!

If I was not 5000 miles+ away I would pop over to give you a hand!  However I can still  offer you any advice that you need (if I can).

God luck!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:14:52 AM »
Meh, shit happens.  I wasn't expecting anything anytime soon anyway, but ya might want to look at doing more regular backups going forward.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:15 AM »
Meh, shit happens.  I wasn't expecting anything anytime soon anyway, but ya might want to look at doing more regular backups going forward.

Well, we do, but that was also part of Bulbageddon.

Shoulda backed it up to a CD-RW!

NightWolve

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 03:18:43 AM »
No more details on that HDD ? You've written it off ??
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:29:21 AM by NightWolve »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:51 AM »
No, just haven't had time quite yet on my end and won't until tonight.

OldMan's probably working on it right now though.   That or he's eating lunch and swearing at it.