Author Topic: PC-Engine Duo-R - a few issues  (Read 388 times)

wyndcrosser

PC-Engine Duo-R - a few issues
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
Update: So, I finally got my pc engine power adapter in the mail and after some thorough cleaning of the motherboard the little bastard started up.

Now, I just need a controller to test the CD portion, as I've read you need to hit run to start it up.
Has anyone ever had cut on the PCB board of a Duo-R near the controller port? On the solder side there's this nick, I'm waiting for the controller to show up so I can test the port.

I received this unit used, telling it it worked. The only issue is that I received 13 games and the console, but no cables, or controllers.

It arrived today, and I tested the unit with a Mega Drive 2 Adapter, no dice. I took it apart and realized that the DIN port and Power socket were broken loose in their solder sockets. I resoldered both correctly.

I powered it on... and nothing. Now, there are three points on this power socket, two of the ports are connected with solder, I wanted to make sure that these shouldn't be separated some how.

I checked the fuse and it seems fine, no breakage.

My goal next is to replace the two 7805 power regulators (I've had to replace these in Sega Nomads in the past) and I purchased cables and power supplies from GameDoctorHK as well. Anyone have advice where to look after this? I left my multi-meter on, so the battery dead. I'll have to pick up a 9v tomorrow.

Have a good night.

Wynd
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:44:20 PM by wyndcrosser »

EvilEvoIX

Re: PC-Engine Duo-R - a few issues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
Wow quite the list of trouble shooting you've gone through.  What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?  I'm mostly concerned that the seller stated that it works when it clearly doesn't.  Was it an eBay deal or even a seller on this site?

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »
For the games + unit I paid $160.

I searched the "Sold" auctions on eBay (not the for sale ones) and found out I could get nearly all that back by selling the games separately, the majority of them are complete pc engine titles (Arcade and Super CD) with spine cards and manuals, etc.

I just threw down a bid and won it, I was surprised actually. The seller said it's been in his garage for awhile. Like I said, I knew what I was getting into, so ya know. I'm thinking the guy purchased it from like hit-japan or something and couldn't get it to work.

Any suggestions, i.e. what fuse to purchase (just to be clear that it's good), etc. I'm open to it.

Thanks

Wynd

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
Did you already check the voltages around the 7805? Before starting to replace them.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
For the games + unit I paid $160.

I searched the "Sold" auctions on eBay (not the for sale ones) and found out I could get nearly all that back by selling the games separately, the majority of them are complete pc engine titles (Arcade and Super CD) with spine cards and manuals, etc.

I just threw down a bid and won it, I was surprised actually. The seller said it's been in his garage for awhile. Like I said, I knew what I was getting into, so ya know. I'm thinking the guy purchased it from like hit-japan or something and couldn't get it to work.

Any suggestions, i.e. what fuse to purchase (just to be clear that it's good), etc. I'm open to it.

Thanks

Wynd

Good deal, you are way ahead of the game.  You may want to consider sending it out, get it repaired and modded and some av upgrades too.  You

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
Good luck getting 'er fixed up.  There's quite a few good techy guys here that can hopefully help ya along.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wyndcrosser

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
Anyone specifically I could message Necromancer?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
Did you already check the voltages around the 7805? Before starting to replace them.

Yeah, this.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »

Yeah, this.

Like I said, I'll be testing that soon. Gotta a hefty schedule this week with work.

Fidde_se

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:10:27 AM »
Better get that 9V battery, fixing anything relies on a working multimeter, if voltage is coming in, and the fuse is ok as you say, and if there is nothing wrong with the 7805, then there might be something wrong around the DIN socket, microscopic tears in the traces, as you said it was loose too, meaning it actually works you just can't hear or see that it is, you have to have a controller to start a cd game so that the busy light can indicate that anything is happening under the hood when you'r blind in the dark so to say.

There might also be a need of replacing all the capacitors too, that can also make a console look dead.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

burn_654

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:26:08 AM »
If you're considering sending it out for repair I can definitely recommend thesteve. Great work, efficient and well priced. :clap:
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

wyndcrosser

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks for the support. I'm getting married on Saturday, so this baby will have to wait.

I'll be testing the unit shortly again with a multimeter and then I'll be at a place to see what's next. Ill be posting soon. I wanna start doing some pcengine translations soon.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm still looking at this.. wish me luck. I'll try to message "thesteve".

Thanks

wyndcrosser

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »
Update: So, I finally got my pc engine power adapter in the mail and after some thorough cleaning of the motherboard the little bastard started up.

Now, I just need a controller to test the CD portion, as I've read you need to hit run to start it up.
Has anyone ever had cut on the PCB board of a Duo-R near the controller port? On the solder side there's this nick, I'm waiting for the controller to show up so I can test the port.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
So, I got a new power adapter and resoldered the controller, audio and power connections (someone did a TERRIBLE job soldering... the joints on the controller connector were all soldered together and it looks like someone tried to jump pins together (is this some kind of mod.... or just bad work).

Greasing and cleaning the lens, I got a cd game to spin up and get at least to the title screen. Once it loaded into the game it went black screen. I'm assuming it just needs a new laser. Which isn't such a  hard task. Hitach Hop M-3 here I come...

Apparently I didn't need too much help on this, just a lot of effort fixing someone's bad work lol.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:52:28 AM by wyndcrosser »