Author Topic: "Insanity's Blade" - An indie 16-bit game now in Arcade Mode! Kickstarter-backed  (Read 3122 times)

Trenton_net

Personally, I too am also annoyed with all these "Retro" games. The reason being, it's so pointless to reproduce such a game on a modern system. Sure, if I had a Pentium+ with 2GB of ram, I could churn out anything of 8-bit quality with a touch of innovation/cool factor. But that's no real feat or amazing achievement.

Not that I would play it on a modern console, but I have way more respect for games like "Retro City Rampage" which at least started running on real 8-bit hardware. That's much more impressive/purchase worthy than some random PC game made to look retro.

sunteam_paul

Sure, if I had a Pentium+ with 2GB of ram, I could churn out anything of 8-bit quality with a touch of innovation/cool factor. But that's no real feat or amazing achievement.

Go on then, try it. Let's see how far you get.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Punch

I don't like pseudo 8 bit games that throws tons of effects on screen to go with the graphics plus palette cheating, etc. But that's just me though.

I do like games that actually TRY to be authentic (Oniken for example), both graphics and gameplay mechanics. And Insanity's Blade fits the description. Why didn't I find out about this game earlier?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Personally, I too am also annoyed with all these "Retro" games. The reason being, it's so pointless to reproduce such a game on a modern system.
Pointless? Why?  There's nothing pointless about people programming games they like on a platform that's got a much wider audience than a retro console that has a small fan base, complete with people like you who are complaining about it not being on an old platform instead.

Sure, if I had a Pentium+ with 2GB of ram, I could churn out anything of 8-bit quality with a touch of innovation/cool factor. But that's no real feat or amazing achievement.
As was stated already, go ahead and do it then.  You make it sound like it's so easy to program games just because the machine is newer.   Programming games is not simply about performing great feats or doing something that's to be considered an amazing achievement.   Producing a fun game of good quality is the most important factor.   Feats/Achievement dickwaving come secondary, if they come at all.

Not that I would play it on a modern console, but I have way more respect for games like "Retro City Rampage" which at least started running on real 8-bit hardware. That's much more impressive/purchase worthy than some random PC game made to look retro.

You "8-bit purist" types all sound like idiots when you say shit like this.  You're spitting on people's effort and work just because it's not on an old machine which makes it clear that you've sort of missed the point of independently made games.

Some people who pour a lot of effort into a game would like it to be enjoyed by a wider audience, complete with people who actually appreciate the time/effort that goes into making a game.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

wildfruit

think it is a great idea to have an "older style" game on a,modern platform. If it wasn't for mega man 9 i wouldn't have gotten interested in the franchise. I had a mega man less childhood
If this game makes it to the euro wii u estore ill give it a whirl

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Pointless? Why?  There's nothing pointless about people programming games they like on a platform that's got a much wider audience than a retro console that has a small fan base, complete with people like you who are complaining about it not being on an old platform instead.

It's pointless because you're designing a game around limitations that don't exist.  Still, good games are good games; the platform and art style chosen don't negate gameplay mechanics.

On the other hand, I don't give much of a shit about non-OBEY platforms.  I hope it turns out well for y'all, but I won't be buying/playing it.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.

It's pointless because you're designing a game around limitations that don't exist.  Still, good games are good games; the platform and art style chosen don't negate gameplay mechanics.

On the other hand, I don't give much of a shit about non-OBEY platforms.  I hope it turns out well for y'all, but I won't be buying/playing it.

The only limitation usually imposed is the art.  However, because it's art... It shouldn't matter if someone decides to emulate the style of an old console.    Art is art. 

Now, if they decided to purposely throttle the CPU so that they are only getting ~4mhz out of the thing, and then try to cram all the art into X amount of space, and make sure only X amount of sprites are on screen at a time, and all of the OTHER hardware limitations outside of the color palettes, I could see that being pointless.

But stylistic limitations? pfsht.  Nothing wrong with that. 

NightWolve

1) "Insanity’s Blade Will Put Hair on Your Chest" - Heh.

http://mashthosebuttons.com/headline/insanitys-blade/

2) Screenshot of a new boss:

3) Video of Stage 2:

Looks good! I dig the using a zombie/skeleton as a sled! Hah!

C: Nice, using a zombie/skeleton as a sled! Heh.
Q: Just you coming up with all this shit, eh ?
Chris: "Yeah. Other guy just codes for the most part."
Chris: "I came up with zombie surf whilst on the potty"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:37:56 PM by NightWolve »

Nando

Looking NICE!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
This game is an unofficial spiritual successor to Inferno, even though I never finished Inferno.

kazekirifx

This game does look awesome. I like the 2 player simultaneous play. Should be a lot of fun.

However, I'll echo the others by saying I usually don't play games like these unless they run on actual old consoles. Of course I realize how much more difficult it is to develop such a game. Sorry, but that's just how it is. I'm buying tons of homebrew games for the old consoles when they are released, but I never seem to get around to these retro-looking games for PC/modern consoles. Guess I just prefer "real" retro graphics/sound rather than imitated.

Still... I have to admit this game looks pretty awesome. I hope I do get around to trying this one.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
This game does look awesome. I like the 2 player simultaneous play. Should be a lot of fun.

However, I'll echo the others by saying I usually don't play games like these unless they run on actual old consoles. Of course I realize how much more difficult it is to develop such a game. Sorry, but that's just how it is. I'm buying tons of homebrew games for the old consoles when they are released, but I never seem to get around to these retro-looking games for PC/modern consoles. Guess I just prefer "real" retro graphics/sound rather than imitated.

Still... I have to admit this game looks pretty awesome. I hope I do get around to trying this one.

I don't see the logic behind this at all. 

It's like homebrew for old consoles = automatically buy/play, even if the game's not that good. (See: Insanity)

I think alot of you guys are so used to blowing off anything after Sega Genesis that you forget to accept the fact that good games can exist on something that isn't a pain in the ass to create a simple game with.

kazekirifx

I get a hard on for new games on old hardware.;) That's pretty much it.
Especially when that hardware is being pushed to the limits and pushing out some awesome shit.

Guilty as charged. It's illogical. :)  I'm part game player and part old hardware buff. So, just having the gameplay there doesn't do it for me. I prefer to also have my hardware buff side stimulated at the same time. Otherwise I find I am unable to achieve gamegasm.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
Yeah.  I find that mindset a bit unfair to people making games, lol.

NightWolve

Update: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/insanitys_b_gets_av_overhaul

He re-did stage 1, there's much more going on in the background now, plus new enemies, new background music (although I preferred the original music myself), etc. He's got about 10 stages finished, and intends for there to be 17 in total.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:10:55 PM by NightWolve »