Author Topic: "Insanity's Blade" - An indie 16-bit game now in Arcade Mode! Kickstarter-backed  (Read 3116 times)

NightWolve

Update: February 16, 2016

Chris' game was completed and has been live on Steam since December 5, 2014. It's fully matured well over a year now with all the latest patches, so good time to buy it, most especially when there's a sale and it only goes for $2.22!!! :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/334190/

Trailer/Purty Screenshots

Update: December 12, 2013

My friend Chris has gotten serious with the production of his indie videogame and has set up a kickstarter project with 6 days to go. It's done in 8-bit retro classic style and I think a few of you on here might be interested in supporting it. Check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/353834117/insanitys-blade-the-ultimate-8-bit-experience

Interview:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2013/12/-12/kickin-it-with-causal-games-studio-insanitys-blade/

You might remember him as LoboDaMainMan if you ever hung around the #rigg chatroom (@Keranu).

Update: January 07, 2014

P.S. Thanks to our very own Arkhan for backing this! It succeeded in obtaining full Kickstarter backing at the last minute because of some generous big spenders.

DEMO - WINDOWS:
New "Arcade" version: http://causalbitgames.com/demos/IBARCADE-WIN32.zip
Old 8-bit Retro version: http://causalbitgames.com/demos/IBWIN.zip

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:02:13 PM by NightWolve »

pixeljunkie

Looks rad, but these projects always annoy the piss out of me. I see them, I get all excited then I find out they are just a PC/IOS game. Oh, an 8-bit "style" game? How original.

If they did a special edition NES cart version of this, BAM! Here's $100. Otherwise....pass

Nando

Looks rad, but these projects always annoy the piss out of me. I see them, I get all excited then I find out they are just a PC/IOS game. Oh, an 8-bit "style" game? How original.

If they did a special edition NES cart version of this, BAM! Here's $100. Otherwise....pass

You make a good point.

Game looks like it could be fun. The sprites are HUGE and nicely animated.  Wished they would have gone with a 16/32 bit look (color palette.) or kept the "constraints" of the 8 bit machines.

It also looks like they met their goal too.

sunteam_paul

Good game is good game, the retro look is a bonus.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software

If they did a special edition NES cart, it would take 5 years to be made and they'd probably lose interest before it gets completed.

and, it probably wouldn't turn out nearly as nice.

I'll take the 10$ download over a 100$ NES cartridge of the same game.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

NightWolve

Oh, an 8-bit "style" game? How original.

I guess I agree with you if you mean that you'd prefer at least 16-bit or more color/graphics in your gaming. NES games look/feel too much like Atari 2600 to me now so it's hard for me to want to play them. But, as I have long since learned from PCEFX, for some people, retro is REALLY in:

Good game is good game, the retro look is a bonus.

Thus, there is still a market for this.

Now, I'm here, I visit/participate in this forum (the only one, pretty much), so obviously I'm a bit of a retro-enthusiast as well, but there's varying degrees to everything of course. A retro-look is not exactly a "bonus" in my eyes cause I likes me some eye candy, but hey that's fine, each to his own.

FYI, Chris is interested in getting someone to port the game to our beloved NEC console platform. The basic Windows version will be finished by March. If Arkhan isn't busy a year from now, he might take up the challenge. But it's an open call to anyone else that would like to port it since he's too busy right now (Old Rover?).

P.S. Thanks to Arkhan for backing this. There was also a big spender that came in the final days that pushed it over the first finish line. It's 110% backed now.

Added, Windows DEMO: http://causalbitgames.com/demos/IBWIN.zip
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:30:25 PM by NightWolve »

lwizardl

Hey nightwolve,
 NIce to see this post here, I was very happy that chris was able to get this going.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
I'd shit my bricks if at the end of the video demo it faded out and then the title:

Legendary Axe III

popped up.  :D

esteban

I'd shit my bricks if at the end of the video demo it faded out and then the title:

Legendary Axe III

popped up.  :D

Sh*t your bricks. Now.
  |    | 

Opethian

this is just a rip off of Inferno!! ark will sue :D

looks great!

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

NightWolve

Hmmmm... He's wanting to go more for a 16-bit update apparently.
I notice that wavy effect from Dracula X now.

Quote from: Christoper
Question: Game is the same ? Or you added that wavy effect ?

...game and music
...I got rid of wall jump awhile ago
...oh there are lots of effects added now
...completely recolored
...also the end of the stage in the hose I changed the map around

So, I looked at that video in 720p mode and honestly this is the version I would rather play... Much better compared to the video and screenshots at the top. 4096 color-mode just about! After watching the whole level up to the boss, I gotta say, the game is far more in the kickass territory now given the music, color-level, effects, and considering it's fan-made.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:06:09 PM by NightWolve »

MrBroadway

Unfortunately, this is how I feel about a lot of the retro games these days. I'd love more homebrew, but not many are willing to bite. :(

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Unfortunately, this is how I feel about a lot of the retro games these days. I'd love more homebrew, but not many are willing to bite. :(

A good game is a good game, regardless of the console it's on.

I could make a game that is identical in visuals and sound to the PC Engine, for PC, and it would probably take me a few months as opposed to a year or more of headaches.

Not many are willing to bite with homebrew for old consoles because it's a royal pain in the dick for a target audience of <= 500 people, some of whom won't even buy the game or play it, and some of whom will complain anyways.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

NightWolve

Alrighty, the new 16-bit/Arcade demo is now up for some play time!

http://causalbitgames.com/demos/IBARCADE-WIN32.zip

I hate those damn bats he brought in from Castlevania, man... Heh-heh. They were hard to deal with then, they're hard now!! And even Capcom's Red Devil was nice enough to join the fray!

Tatsujin

1x for PCE plz ^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^