Author Topic: The armchair CEO - Bidness spekulatiun thread ;)  (Read 139 times)

Nando

The armchair CEO - Bidness spekulatiun thread ;)
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:40:18 AM »
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/18/nintendo-smartphone-move/

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata said at a press conference yesterday in Osaka, Japan. "Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It’s not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone." - Satoru Iwata

so, if you were Nintendo, how would you branch out to mobile, while still trying to keep your other hardware business models alive?

I can see them doing something like "Pinball Koopa on iOS," or short games with secondary characters in other platforms.  Or maybe Nintendo licensed indie games. Play on iOS/Android/Wii U/3DS - online leaderboards and what not.

Still, no core characters, I don't see Nintendo pushing their main cast on other systems.

jeffhlewis

Re: The armchair CEO - Bidness spekulatiun thread ;)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:22 AM »
If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't even bother keeping my hardware business models alive, except maybe the 3DS or its successor aimed at the kids market. I think they're only delaying the inevitable.

People always argue the "But Nintendo has cash reserves!" argument, but when you're taking 8-, 9- or 10-figure losses year over year, that reserve dries up mighty quick.