Author Topic: 2014 Midwest Gaming Classic  (Read 5316 times)

jeffhlewis

Re: 2014 Midwest Gaming Classic
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 02:32:35 AM »
I'm in as always, along with two buddies who are coming to help out with the museum room. I'll be manning the lightgun area again this year, though luckily it sounds like we'll all be in one big area vs. being split off into hotel rooms like last year. This should be the best one yet based on what we've been told by the powers-that-be.

On a sidenote -I've been tasked with trying to get volunteers for an All-Sega and All-Neo-Geo room for the show...I've reach out to a few people to try and get the ball rolling but was curious if anyone either 1.) knew of someone who'd love to help do this or 2.) wants to do it themselves.

For the rooms - what we need is someone to take the reigns and organize the setup of the room (what games go in, sourcing the TVs, systems and games, etc).

Please PM me or respond if you guys know of anyone or if you're interested yourself.

Mathius

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
I am going obviously. Everything else...what Josh and Jeff said. :)

I am sorry (very sorry!) to hear you can't make it, Rovie. :(
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Flare65

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »
I'll be going as well.  Not sure if I'll get a hotel or not.  Its about two hours one way for me.  Anyone know what time it starts?

jeffhlewis

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
I'll be going as well.  Not sure if I'll get a hotel or not.  Its about two hours one way for me.  Anyone know what time it starts?

Usually it starts around 10 or 11am on Saturday I believe.

Since we're all in the same general vicinity this year (vs. the distributed room setup last year) we should all meet up at some point. Maybe Saturday night?

Majors - any beer requests? ;)

Mathius

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »

Since we're all in the same general vicinity this year (vs. the distributed room setup last year) we should all meet up at some point. Maybe Saturday night?

Maybe we can hit that pizza place that JD doesn't like. Which means, of course, that we will drag JD along with us. :P

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 10:21:15 PM »
Returning to MGC is TURBO FEST!  An entire room dedicated to everything NEC.  We're going to have a rokken banner up with promotional sponsorship from Aetherbyte, The PC Engine Software Bible, Epona Soft and a cheap plug for the HuPack's HuCast.  ;)

If anyone is looking to participate, loan us games/consoles/projects/books/toys etc or whatever at the time of the convention we'll gladly add them to our event!!  Just let myself, Matthius, BlueBMW or Jeffy Lewis know via PM or email.  =)

WOOOO!!!  DoxPhile has joined the list of sponsors for this year's MGC Turbo Fest section!!  It should look all professional and such with that sweet banner!  Now if only Aaron Nanto knew how to respond to an email or PM we'd try to get the pcenginefx.com site put up there as well.....

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 12:59:48 AM »

Yes, beers and many. I'm flying up Friday evening to get a head start of killing that Spotted Cow tap at the bar. We should get Blue to grab a case or two of Yuengling.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

bartre

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
I'm in as always, along with two buddies who are coming to help out with the museum room. I'll be manning the lightgun area again this year, though luckily it sounds like we'll all be in one big area vs. being split off into hotel rooms like last year. This should be the best one yet based on what we've been told by the powers-that-be.

On a sidenote -I've been tasked with trying to get volunteers for an All-Sega and All-Neo-Geo room for the show...I've reach out to a few people to try and get the ball rolling but was curious if anyone either 1.) knew of someone who'd love to help do this or 2.) wants to do it themselves.

For the rooms - what we need is someone to take the reigns and organize the setup of the room (what games go in, sourcing the TVs, systems and games, etc).

Please PM me or respond if you guys know of anyone or if you're interested yourself.

I might know a guy who can help on the sega end. lemme talk to him.

Lots of peeps fly in ;)

Ill be driving.  Its only 600 miles.  Next year will be tougher though...

I thought we discussed this :)

Flare65

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »

Maybe we can hit that pizza place that JD doesn't like. Which means, of course, that we will drag JD along with us. :P

What Pizza place would that be?  There are only like three or four god tier pizza restaurants in Chicagoland.  Lou Malnati's, Uno's, Giordano's and Rosati's.

chany60126

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »

What Pizza place would that be?  There are only like three or four god tier pizza restaurants in Chicagoland.  Lou Malnati's, Uno's, Giordano's and Rosati's.

Roundhead Pizza in Lombard, IL is another top tier one. Not sure if you are aware or not, but we have been going to that restaurant after every VGS and Octurbofest. I like their deep dish a lot more than Giordano's.
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »

Seeing as we'll be about an hour and a half north of Chicago for the show, you're going to REALLY want some pizza to go that far ;)

Everything around the Brookfield Sheraton is chain restaurant central - I think Mati's talking about a Pizzeria Uno that's a block away from the hotel.

If people are interested in exploring a bit, there's much better options when you get outside of the Brookfield area. And if anyone is in town a day early, I live right downtown in Milwaukee and have a spare couch to crash on.

nodtveidt

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:06 AM »
Well, I may still be able to come but I am not sure just yet. Gonna try like hell to make it happen. I have everything arranged on this end already, now I just need the funds to afford it.

Mathius

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
Well, I may still be able to come but I am not sure just yet. Gonna try like hell to make it happen. I have everything arranged on this end already, now I just need the funds to afford it.

*keeps fingers crossed*

Mathius

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
Quick bump. We are a little more than six weeks from showtime! My retro senses are already tingling. Here is some info on areas some of your very own PCFXers are passionately arranging for at this time.

Classic Gaming and Computer Museum

The playable Classic Gaming and Computer Museum is one of the most exciting, longest running exhibits at the Midwest Gaming Classic! This one-of-a-kind museum contains one of the largest collections of systems from the very early computer & TV systems all the way up to modern systems such as the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Wii U! Unlike most museums where you can just look but you cannot touch, this museum has almost every console for you to grab a controller and play! Whether it is remembering the fun you had with a Colecovision or an NES when you were younger, or if you want a chance to try out a system that you never got to play like a TurboDuo or a Vectrex, the Classic Gaming and Computing Museum allows you to play all of these and more!
What Will Be There?

In 2014, the Midwest Gaming Classic Museum will be expanded even more than 2013! The Classic Gaming and Computing Museum even includes many additional displays throughout its hallways. Basically, the mantra of this unique ‘wing’ of the show is that if it can fit a gaming device, it probably will! New for 2014, the CG&CM will feature a new 3,000+ square foot exhibit featuring some of the most popular attractions from years past as well as some new ones! These include the following:

The classic Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M) museum will return with classic computers and game consoles from the earliest pong machines up until the NES.
    The popular Midwest Light Gun Association (MLGA) will return with an even larger display full of some of the most popular light gun games including Duck Hunt, Elemental Gearbolt, Crossbow, Deadstorm Pirates, and House of the Dead 4.
    Prove your virtual street fighting prowess in the MGC Fight Club! Play current and classic head to head fighting games ranging from Super Street Fighter IV and Killer Instinct to cult classics like Astra Superstars.
    See the best in overseas gaming in the Nippon Import Group’s section where you’ll find classics like the Famicom Disk, oddities like the FM Towns Marty and Sharp X68000, as well as more recent popular imports for systems like the PlayStation 2.
    The Versus Room returns in 2014 with even more score chasing and tournaments including the popular Midwest Tetris Championship!
    Console Wars will pit various consoles against one another on Saturday like just who had the best version of Street Fighter 2, and then on Sunday many of the popular platform mascots will make an appearance including Mario and Sonic!
    A new Shmup the Core! area will be added in 2014 featuring some of the best in shmup gaming like MUSHA, Gradius, and cult favorites like Keio’s Flying Squadron.
    A new Friends & Enemies area will feature the best in co-op and competitive gaming across most genres like sports, fighting, action, puzzle, and first person shooters.

This area will also feature the return of several standalone title exhibits including 10-player Saturn Bomberman on multiple TVs! The CG&CM will also feature rooms spread across the entire MGC including one of the most popular and long-running exhibits, the Underdog Chamber, with its extensive Quake and Steel Battalion networks. The LAN Room will return with a slate of popular first person shooters and tournaments including Call of Duty: Ghosts. There will also be a number of different fan-led rooms for some of the most popular companies including a room dedicated to Sega and its platforms, the popular Atari Jaguar Festival (Jagfest) will return, as well as additional rooms that will be announced in the weeks ahead! Overall it is going to be a big year for the MGC’s Classic Gaming and Computing Museum, so be sure to watch us in the coming weeks and find out more about how you can join the group that puts the museum together!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:22:19 PM by Mathius »

Flare65

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »

Roundhead Pizza in Lombard, IL is another top tier one. Not sure if you are aware or not, but we have been going to that restaurant after every VGS and Octurbofest. I like their deep dish a lot more than Giordano's.

Yeah, I usually miss the pizza gathering be it VGS or Octurbofest/Gallaping Ghost meetups.  Not to dis your pizza place, but Roundheads uses a frozen crust....  Yeah, I know I'm a pizza snob!