Author Topic: 2014 Midwest Gaming Classic  (Read 5315 times)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: 2014 Midwest Gaming Classic
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »
but Roundheads uses a frozen crust.... 

But Stella on tap. For me, the "stuffed" pizza is over...I'll stick with stock pie. It's cooks faster and I'm not left with massive leftovers. Still, noobs gotta get it at least once.

As for the frozen part, I'll wait for Yelp-master Dan to chime in.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

BlueBMW

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:56 AM »
So... how much Yuengling do I need to bring up?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 03:07:55 AM »

Beer? Is it light or dark?
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

BlueBMW

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:53 AM »

I have no idea... I dont really drink beer.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 08:02:56 AM »

They make both sir.  :)  Black and Tan is a dark lager, the regular is still a tad dark, but not opaque by any means.  It's a really good tasting beer however, specially in a frosty mug!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

It's really for Jeff since it's not distributed up there. I say a twelve of bottles if you want to be classy. I'm a case(24) of cans guy myself, but I can walk to the bar or Fresh Market and pickup something.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

jeffhlewis

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »

It's really for Jeff since it's not distributed up there. I say a twelve of bottles if you want to be classy. I'm a case(24) of cans guy myself, but I can walk to the bar or Fresh Market and pickup something.

Beemer - if you could grab a 24 pack of cans that'd be awesome. I'll reimburse you of course. Yuengling is a rare commodity up in these parts.

bartre

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 07:18:55 AM »
ahhh, that reminds me, Empyrean should be doing more Fallen Angel soon.
i really wish that wasn't a seasonal brew.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »

What Pizza place would that be?  There are only like three or four god tier pizza restaurants in Chicagoland.  Lou Malnati's, Uno's, Giordano's and Rosati's.

Just a few notes, last I knew Roundheads was not using a frozen crust for their stuffed pizza.

With regards to "God Tier". You mentioned four chains which have wide variation from day to day let alone location to location.

Lou Malnati's varies wildly from location to location with some serving extremely soggy over buttered deep dish. Not only that but sometimes you're practically just getting unseasoned stewed tomato's on top of your deep dish rather than anything that resembles sauce. I've experienced non-soggy pizza with actual sauce and soggy pizza with tomato chunks on the top from the same location (near my office) before.

Uno's (the original and Due) are generally pretty good but the franchised locations are completely different using different preparation processes and ingredients.

Rosati's varies wildly from franchise to franchise with some locations making things almost entirely differently than others.

Giordano's has some wide variation as well. I've come across many a burned stuffed pizza there, heavily unprocessed sauce (not to the same degree of tomato chunks found at Lou Malnati's mind you), among other issues. Even the Glen Ellyn location has really inconsistent sauce where sometimes it's a thick mix of tomato flavor with good seasoning and a solid viscosity other teams being a thin layer of red grease coming up from the cheese below.
--DragonmasterDan

turboswimbz

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »

They make both sir.  :)  Black and Tan is a dark lager, the regular is still a tad dark, but not opaque by any means.  It's a really good tasting beer however, specially in a frosty mug!

It's a true [German style] lager as Bernie said, There isn't really anything to similar to it, that I can think of off the top of my head anyway.  the best way to describe it is a rich amber like description they use. The original clearly not for the light bear drinker, It's got a slight hoppy, but still dry, sweet unique flavor. Use to go to school and hour away from the brewery. Made a good Saturday run. hmmm fresh beer.

http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/

They do make several other flavors including lighter and darker beers, but good luck finding them outside the Mid Atlantic.  ohhh and Fl.  I to believe they have a brewery down there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:24:45 PM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:07 AM »

Yuengling is a "lager", much more so than the piss water that Miller and Budweiser sell. But don't get it twisted - Yuengling is still very much a bargain bin purchase. I lust after it though because it's not sold in the Midwest and I'm nostalgic for it because we used to drink that back in High School growing up. It's just really good, cheap beer.

Living in Milwaukee has made me the biggest beer snob on earth, though. We have more microbreweries in this town than I know what to do with.

420GOAT

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »

Yuengling is a "lager", much more so than the piss water that Miller and Budweiser sell. But don't get it twisted - Yuengling is still very much a bargain bin purchase. I lust after it though because it's not sold in the Midwest and I'm nostalgic for it because we used to drink that back in High School growing up. It's just really good, cheap beer.

Living in Milwaukee has made me the biggest beer snob on earth, though. We have more microbreweries in this town than I know what to do with.

i dont have time for that shit, it gets in the way of me getting drunk, i go to the same store, where they keep my highlife 40 cold, until im ready to pick it up....hows that for snobbery?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Flare65

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »

What Pizza place would that be?  There are only like three or four god tier pizza restaurants in Chicagoland.  Lou Malnati's, Uno's, Giordano's and Rosati's.

Just a few notes, last I knew Roundheads was not using a frozen crust for their stuffed pizza.

With regards to "God Tier". You mentioned four chains which have wide variation from day to day let alone location to location.

Lou Malnati's varies wildly from location to location with some serving extremely soggy over buttered deep dish. Not only that but sometimes you're practically just getting unseasoned stewed tomato's on top of your deep dish rather than anything that resembles sauce. I've experienced non-soggy pizza with actual sauce and soggy pizza with tomato chunks on the top from the same location (near my office) before.

Uno's (the original and Due) are generally pretty good but the franchised locations are completely different using different preparation processes and ingredients.

Rosati's varies wildly from franchise to franchise with some locations making things almost entirely differently than others.

Giordano's has some wide variation as well. I've come across many a burned stuffed pizza there, heavily unprocessed sauce (not to the same degree of tomato chunks found at Lou Malnati's mind you), among other issues. Even the Glen Ellyn location has really inconsistent sauce where sometimes it's a thick mix of tomato flavor with good seasoning and a solid viscosity other teams being a thin layer of red grease coming up from the cheese below.

I think I opened a can of worms with this one!  I have not noticed the wide variation of quality you listed at all and I've eaten these places routinely for years.

Lou Malnati's -   I usually eat at the downtown Naperville or the Elk Grove Village locations.  The pizza pie is consistently been the same at both locations.  I have noticed that if you order the deep dish to go and let it sit 20 minutes before you eat it, it gets soggy.  Eating it fresh in the restaurant is never like this...  maybe since it never leaves the hot metal pan the pizza sits in. 

Giordano's - Consistant from location to location. 

Uno's - Consistant from location to location.

Rosati's - Same consistancey no matter where I ordered from in the Chicago area.  I can't speak for any other location outside the Chicagoland area... (I.e. Champaign IL??)

Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that.  Sorry you got some bum pies from the places I mentioned as  I really enjoy all of them.  We live close enough to each other we should meet up sometime and talk games and I'll buy the pizza.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:53:19 PM by Flare65 »

jeffhlewis

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Even though Gino's East is a tourist trap shithole, this recipe is actually really really good:

i dont have time for that shit, it gets in the way of me getting drunk, i go to the same store, where they keep my highlife 40 cold, until im ready to pick it up....hows that for snobbery?

Dude if you're trying to get drunk on the cheap you're doing it wrong:

roflmao

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »
When I lived in NC, my go-to cheap beer was Yeungling. Way better than the other cheapies.  Haven't found anything like it out here in MO. Resorted to Rolling Rock. :(