Author Topic: Spriggan Mark 2 - Translation Discussion Thread  (Read 1015 times)

Arjak

Spriggan Mark 2 - Translation Discussion Thread
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
In case you missed it in the Legend of Xanadu 2 translation thread, Malducci (known here as Bonknuts) has been working on an English Translation of Spriggan Mark 2. He recently put this video up on Youtube:

I felt it was time this project received its own thread, especially since it seems a lot of progress is being made on this. Keep up the good work, Malducci! :D
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

NightWolve

Re: Spriggan Mark 2 - Translation Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
Ah, so it is still being worked on. I thought it fell by the wayside.

Bonknuts

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
It was never dead; only sleeping. I've had three translators on this project, since the beginning. SamIam took over and redid everything. He's pretty busy, but is taking the time to finalize the script/etc. I had to add a few last minute things to the string read routine and print routine as well.

Next phase is the dubbing phase.

I actually wanted to get the rights to the game, for the US region, to distribute the translation/dub. The game got released in Japan on Wii Virtual console, so some company is 'active' with the rights to the game. Even if there's no money to be made, it would be awesome to have an official release. One can dream ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:42:01 PM by Bonknuts »

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:42:58 PM »
great game. would be also fun to have a non dialogue version as well. 100% shewty from start to end.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Bonknuts

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
It's already in the options. Turn off voice/letter. It'll skip the cinemas as well as the in game dialog/text/whatever; pure shewty mode.

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »
ah lol you're such right. how could I forget about that. I had only in mind, that it switches off the interrupted dialouges. it's been too long I fired that one up. time to start over again!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

deubeul

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:31:22 AM »
Great news!

Would the japanese voices still be available in case of english dubbing (in case there's enough space)? Or is it all or nothing?

Bonknuts

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:38:18 AM »
Yes. The text translation will come out first, then the dub later on. I'm timing/syncing the text with the in-game voice audio for that very reason. But I'm not subtitling the cinemas, on the system side. Subtitling the cinemas (in game code) would be a fairly advance project, and I rather put that time and energy into the dub.

Senshi

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »

I actually wanted to get the rights to the game, for the US region, to distribute the translation/dub. The game got released in Japan on Wii Virtual console, so some company is 'active' with the rights to the game. Even if there's no money to be made, it would be awesome to have an official release. One can dream ;)

How much does the rights to something like that usually cost?
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Bonknuts

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
I'm really not sure. It's something we're looking into. If I would hazard a guess, I'd say anywhere from $3k to $25K, up front. If the number is low enough, I might be able to handle that with pre-orders. 

Arjak

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 05:26:27 AM »
If you can get the rights, would we be talking about an official English release on Super CD? Or would this be only for digital download services? I would absolutely buy an official Super CD copy in English.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Bonknuts

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »
Official CD release.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »
A dream of mine is to see all of those announced import games that never made it here to be fan translated and pressed onto real CDs, complete with authentic back-in-the-day style packaging. We're making great progress thus far as a community -- that's real fan devotion!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Punch

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
I'd preorder 5 if it were to be an official release.

One thing to note is that they might be against releasing it for the TURBOGRAFX. Of course if it were for an old Nintendo platform it would have a 0% chance of success to try to obtain the license from the Spriggan IP holders (because it would hurt their relations with Nintendo BADLY to release an unlicensed game in their platform even if it is their 1st, 1980's one)... but what about Konami? Will they even care about it? Probably not but who knows.