Author Topic: Thoughts on the PS3 price yall?  (Read 1519 times)

GUTS

Thoughts on the PS3 price yall?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 11:33:56 AM »
Actually yeah I don't want to start any system war so my bad on my earlier comment.

But personally the Wii looks pretty retarded these days, and honestly I can't understand the frame of mind that thinks the controller is still a good idea after E3.  Probably the same people who are excited about Virtual Console when you can do EXACTLY THE SAME THING only better on a modded Xbox (since it supports EVERY rom out there plus nearly every pre-psx system ever is emulated), minus the Gamecube games.

rolins

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm also skeptical about the Wii controller too. They look like a pair nunchuks, but I guess they'd be pretty useful in a melee fight.

Still you never know until you try it. Even if it does suck there will always be other official and 3rd party controllers. Most likely some ps2 to Wii adapters would be available.

edit: I just read that nintendo is bring out a Wii retro controller. They look like one of those fami clone controllers with two analog sticks.

GUTS

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »
Gah that's another thing, how many stupid controller accessories are people expected to have?  It's like Nintendo is admitting how bad the controller is and trying to cover it up by saying "look at all these controller accessories that make it into a normal controller like what you get with other real video games systems!"

Digi.k

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »
I guess the Wii controller looks strange but then the games are written to take advantage of its uniqueness.. otherwise there's this for the less adventurous :

grahf

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »
The virtual console is a great idea. I personally know about 5 people who would absolutely love to play their old favorites again. That said, all 5 of those people dont have a clue in the world about how to mod an xbox. The average joe is computer illiterate. The virtual console is going to be an easy to use option.

Keranu

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 01:54:53 PM »
Here are my thoughts on the Wii controller issues:

1. ) When I found out about the sensor thing you have to use for the Wii remote, I was a bit worried that this might ruin the system, especially since the Power Glove did something a little similar. However, here are my reasons why I think it will still work out okay:

a. ) The whole console is designed to use this controller, so if Nintendo wasn't sure this device would work properly, I think they would've just made this some kind of add-on for Gamecube or something instead. If it is sold with the console like it is now, I think we can have a little faith that it should work as well as Nintendo says. If not, this could be one of the greatest video game flaws.

b. ) I found this link the other night and it gave me more confidence with the sensor bar. The following comments are posted on the link I supplied concerning the sensor bar:

Quote from: "Loban"
8. #3 Quote: "so we have to use the sensorbar to detect the remote?"

Yes, this is how the Wii knows the location of the controller with respect to the screen. You wouldn't need a sensor bar if all the controller did was detect movement (like the PS3 controller, in fact this technology has existed for years), but you need that sensor so the Wii console literally knows the location of the controller in 3D space. This is where the true power of the Wiimote comes into play.

So from the sound of this comment, you don't actually have to literally have to point at the sensor bar when playing games. It seems instead the sensor bar is just there to detect your presence once so it can be used for the entire game. I could be wrong on this though.

c. ) If the Wii controller plays as well as it did when the people demonstrating the Wii controller at E3, then we have nothing to worry about. Of course, this only shows that Nintendo carefully planned the conference so everything worked better than it should, like what you might see on a infomercial.

d. ) If we hear any responsives from people who got to test the Wii from E3 saying it works well enough, then we should have nothing to worry about.

2. ) Even though it's a bit cheap of Nintendo to release another controller for the Virtual Console, it beats using the Wii remote for standard gameplay right? Also keep in mind, the Wii remote not be completely useless for the virtual console either. What about the light gun games? They might design those old light gun games to specially use the Wii remote and if that's the case, the Virtual Console has an advantage over X-Box and real emulation.

3. ) Nintendo already said that the Wii console will offer the four Gamecube controller outputs just like the original Gamecube system. So if you already have a Gamecube controller, you can save yourself money from buying third party controllers and what not. Also by the time Wii is out, Gamecube controller will probably be cheaper than the third party controllers.

Just my thoughts here. I'm liking the Wii and if what I heard about the sensor bar is correct, then the Wii should be as fun as I imagined.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 05:28:57 PM »
I said it once before... somebody *has* :) to make a dongle that plugs into the Wiimote that will let you use your old NES, SNES, MD, PCE controllers with the VC!  Not only you'll be able to use the original controller, they'll be wireless as well!

If it does happen, it probably will be from some 3rd party.

motdelbuort

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 05:38:27 PM »
Oh yeah, the dongle/adaptor thing will totally happen. I'd say they will hit Lik Sang in no more than 6 months after the Wii comes out.

If I can afford it, I'll buy the Wii the day it comes out and stay up all night playing Dungeon Explorer and Super Mario Galaxy :o

I'm still trying to figure out how much of a tech advantage the PS3 has over the 360. XBOX so far does not offer the kind of games I like to play for the most part, except maybe the SNK and Sega titles on the first one. The PS2 got off to a slow start in terms of software and if the PS3 does the same, it might not be worth gettting one for a while at any price.  I mean, if the PS3 was $300 I'd just go with that, but that's pretty much my cutoff line. Of course, that will get you a 360, sort of...

FM-77

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 12:16:30 AM »
Of course nobody will release a different controller that you can use "instead" of the Wiimote. The games are designed for it and won't be compatible with anything that works like a "regular" controller.

FM-77

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 07:51:41 PM »
cfg

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »
wtf?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2006, 05:52:34 AM »
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

rolins

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 05:59:57 AM »
The Wii Remote doubles as the light gun?

Looks completely ridiculus.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »
Who cares what it looks like? Think of the possibilities with the motion sensors.

After the Gamecube lacking support, I vowed I wouldn't get the new Nintendo console, but probably a PS3 instead. Now, I am really excited by the Wii, the 360 doesn't interest me much and the PS3 looks to be heading for a bit of a disaster.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

rolins

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 12:32:17 PM »
I like the gun's handle. Seems nintendo are putting all their creativity into it, but the remote on top is just awkward. Why does nintendo have to put some much emphasis on their remote? It's like it's completey geared towards couch potatoes.