Author Topic: Thoughts on the PS3 price yall?  (Read 1523 times)

TR0N

Thoughts on the PS3 price yall?
« on: May 13, 2006, 10:29:19 PM »
While some of the demos did impress me such as MGS4.

What make me mad some what is it's priceing :evil:

PS3 with 20gb drive $499.00

PS3 with 60gb drive $599.00

I'm sure the early adopters that have the money will get it.

Still that will leave gamers "who are on a budget out in the cold" untile the price drops.

I don't know about you all but 'it looks like the, Nintendo Wii is getting my money frist this coming fall.

As for the, PS3 i'll probably wait for a couple years befor i buy one.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

FM-77

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:52:31 AM »
The hard drive is not the only difference, the 60GB model supports wi-fi and a number of other features and the 20GB model is not upgradeable for these features.

Anyway, I think the price is fair. The console appears to be extremely powerful and this will without doubt be the winning console of this generation as well. I won't buy it until I can get it for $150 or less, but I will get one eventually.  :P

akamichi

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 04:42:35 AM »
It's too pricey IMO.  The 60GB version + game + tax will set you back $700!  Hopefully we'll be able to use our PS2 controllers/memcards too.  Although I don't see any reason to *need* memory cards if the HD is there, but I realize memcards are probably the best way to transfer saves between friends/machines/etc.

Not sure what the launch titles are, but I doubt I'll get PS3 at launch.  If the price drops $150-$200, then I'll be more likely to pick it up.

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 04:55:50 AM »
Reminds me of the Neo Geo days. :D I'm certainly not going to be shelling out $600US for a first-generation model, but I'd be willing to pay maybe $400US max for a second- or third-generation model. Experience has taught me to never trust a first-generation console model.

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 05:18:02 AM »
I doubt you'll be able to save your PS1/PS2 save files on the hard drive. Since the games are designed to check for and save/load on memory cards, the console would need to include some kind of virtual memory card software and I don't think it'll do that.

rolins

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 05:45:02 AM »
Overpriced IMO. I'll wait until the price drops under $300.

Digi.k

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 06:48:08 AM »
hai hai I too think its overpriced.

Again I'll wait a few years for the price to drop and wait for sony to bring out a small redesigned model like they've done already with the previous two consoles.

I'm more interested in getting 360 and wii for now since those are much much cheaper

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:04:03 AM »
Bah,Im too busy working on finishing a Voodoo 5500 AGP computer project I got going. Trying to find a workible full size motherboard with Via 133 chipset for Intel cpu support. I have a full size,the Av61,but doesn't like Voodoo cards,and I have another that does,but its a micro atx board:( which lacks enough pci slots for me to use.
Yea I also have BX based boards,but ATA 33 is ass.

PS3 will have to just wait for me,and really,Im not interested. The real next gen hardware is on pc. I perfer the ever expanding world of pc hardware and gaming more. i cant even believe that Sony is even doing a 20 gig harddrive,thats laughable.

Home systems are great at launch,usually highly impressive hardware,but these days,they barrow off of people like ATI and Nvidia,and now stand more of a chance at being surpassed quickly by the pc gaming world.

Right now as far as spending more then a couple hundred is concerned,I will prob only be spending it on something like a Ageia card,not a over priced overhyped console. I dont even own a standard HDTV,so that would tack on even more,cause I wouldn't dare try to run a PS3 on a normal tv. Just is not meant for it.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »
I think it's way too overpriced and in my opinion, this is going to really hurt PS3's sales. In fact, if it doesn't offer a better deal within so long, I think it will be the weakest console of the next generation. Even with the new stuff you get with the $600 package as Seldane mentioned, I think people aren't really going to give a crap about that stuff because it's still not worth $600 for them. All the casual gamer is going to want is the system and games, and for $600 people will easily overlook that.

Now to my surprise, I thought Nintendo's Revolution/Wii was going to be a total 50/50 system, meaning that it would either completely succeed or fail and from the looks of it, I think it's going to make it.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
Quote from: "Seldane"

Anyway, I think the price is fair.

For a system that plays, Blu-ray yes but as a console no.

Some how sony thinks every body wanted all these features, but realy i think gamers... would just want a console not a multie media center.

Still i like to get one but not at it's launch.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 07:01:01 PM »
Sony should've really dropped the blue-ray disc support, it's just too earlier to use that now so it's adding unnecessary cost on the system. DVDs will do just fine for now, so maybe next generation :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 08:16:48 PM »
Experience has taught me to never trust a first-generation console model.

Ditto that. Well, when it comes to sony anyway.

My beef with sony is: I'm not going to use my games systems to watch movies - why would I want to wear out their already crap grade lazer units by watching movies!?

I'd like oh so much to give sony the finger, but unfortunately the titles I want to play always seem to end up on their consoles.

I'm getting an Xbox 360 if the far east of eden remake is localized here in the states.

esteban

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Sony should've really dropped the blue-ray disc support, it's just too earlier to use that now so it's adding unnecessary cost on the system. DVDs will do just fine for now, so maybe next generation :) .
A lot of folks figure that Sony is using the PS3 to popularize their BloooRay format, so I don't think Sony would have dropped that -- it's part of their "master plan", if you will :).

As for the price tag... well, I'm not surprised at all. I thought Xbox 360 was expensive and I crapped my pants when it launched and sold like hotcakes. Having witnessed that (and seeing 360's on ebay going for $800-900 on Thanksgiving), I am now somewhat de-sensitized to these high prices. It reminds me of when the 3DO came out -- except that the 3DO was even more expensive than the PS3 will be (accounting for inflation)!

Actually, even old Atari VCS /2600 was DAMN expensive back in the day (granted I was a kid), so it's hard for me to keep things in perspective. After the 16-bit era faded, I haven't purchased a single console during its launch.

Since I'm still waiting for the price of PS2 to drop :), I won't be getting  PS3 for a few years.
  |    | 

Daedalus

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 10:29:56 PM »
Am I the only one who is tired of the tech wars with consoles?  I probably am.  I remember back when nintendo first came out just to have a couple different colored pixels and some button mashing made a game ( and they were great ).  Nintendo had no rivals for so long that game manufacturers pushed the system to its limits.  3rd generation games on nintendo blew the 1st generation sound and gfx away.  Are these game companies really pushing what these current consoles can do?

You can keep a PC for a good 6 or so years now and kep up with even newer games out there, it seems like PC's and console took a role reversal..

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »
Quote from: "Daedalus"

You can keep a PC for a good 6 or so years now and kep up with even newer games out there, it seems like PC's and console took a role reversal..

I wouldn't quite say 6 years,but yea,the basic idea is there. You can recycle computer parts you invested money into and only replace certain aspects to keep going.

This method saves money and and keeps you going longer. Also,pc is usually on average mor ebackwards compataible,no matter what your hardware configuration may be.