Author Topic: That TV Series You're Watching  (Read 9183 times)

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: That TV Series your watching
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »
War of the Worlds and Tales from the Darkside.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 07:28:27 PM »
Been watching Doctor Who on netflik since i don't have bbc america it's the only way i can watch it.

Same here, except on Hulu.  My wife & I fought getting into it for several years, kept hearing how cool it was, but I really felt like I wanted to start allllllllllllllllllllllllll the way back at the beginning with Doctor #1, rather then with 9.  Glad I didn't start the original series first, I probably wouldn't have given the new series a chance.  We love 10/Tenet, he is our favorite so far, not done with 11 just yet & 12 starts soon I believe. 

I have started watching the original series, but mainly in the background.  So far, atleast with the 1st Doctor, it's flipping boring.  I hear good things about Doctor 4, which is "who" I recall seeing on PBS as a kid.  Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately??) there's a lot of missing episodes back from when BBC would record over their own shows!

In general, trying to watch less tv, if only because we just don't have the time!  Was watching Almost Human, but, like mentioned earlier, it was cancelled.  We do watch SHIELD(hoping the next season is better), (Green) Arrow, Falling Skies, Perception, NCIS & LA(& probably New Orleans), CSI, Continuum, the new TMNT, Big Bang Theory.  I watch(without my wife) Nartuo Shippuden, Beware the Batman, Law & Order SVU, Space Dandy, Black Lagoon. 

Used to watch Clone Wars, but the last season is on Netflix.  We do want to see the Defenders series(Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage...& some chick whose name escapes me) next year, so might have to pick up Netflix, atleast temporarily.  I'd like to watch Avenger's Assemble, though I don't think it's supposed to be as good as Earth's Mightiest Heroes, plus, we don't get Disney XD.  Same goes for the next Transformers series, except we don't get The Hub.

wildfruit

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 07:43:32 PM »
I like fringe. X files and star trek. Oh and I'm currently rewatching red dwarf for the 200th time following a discussion in another thread.

esteban

That TV Series your watching
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »

The late 80's War of the Worlds TV series? I remember watching that on WPIX back in the day. I don't know how it would hold up today. I remember it as "OK" as a kid—but I don't remember it keeping me engaged/intrigued for its entire run (a lot of series are like that...the intrigue and charm dissipate). Same goes for Fox's "Werewolf" TV series...I wonder how it would hold up. Have you ever seen that? I liked it when I was a kid, but now... 

Speaking of old shows...The Hitcher was another TV show that I haven't seen in forever.

I love Tales from the Darkside (most episodes decent, some exceptional). One of the shows I always looked forward to back in the day. The entire opening sequence is pure gold. Close your eyes and it is 10x more powerful (even when I was a kid I wanted to get rid of the cheesy "inverse" video effect used....the original footage of the forest is good, but when it "flips" to the Darkside...ouch.)

I loved this format...Freddy's Nightmares, Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone (old and new...old so much better)....but my all-time favorite is ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS. Granted, not quite the same as the others on the list, but still...

Damn, if I had time, there are a lot of things I would watch. (I barely scratched the surface).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:54:31 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »
I plan on finishing through seasons 2-6 of Tales from the Crypt, starting sometime soon.

I watched all of them to completion, when they first got released onto DVD. It was awesome seeing these get released, I gladly bought them upon release since I enjoyed them on HBO, and the movies in theatres.

But, since the DVD releases, I have not gone through each and every episode. Just a few episodes here, oh I want to watch that episode, etc.

Other than Season 2, the largest season, I recall watching each season to completion within 1-2 days. it may not have happened on the day it arrived, but when I started watching it, I binged. So, it shouldn't take too long.

The Hitcher has had a mess of DVD releases. "Best of" DVD sets in the USA, Canada got a nice "Season 1" set, but it has a bit of compression issues, nowhere near as bad as Ray Bradbury Theatre's DVD release, though.

That's a good one, Esteban. The set can be had for cheap, $10 for the whole series. The series used to run it all the time years ago on USA Network, back when they had Saturday Nightmares, UP! All Night, etc.

I could keep going on, but I'll stop here. :)
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 01:16:30 AM »
MrFulci, we better be careful. I think we could talk about TV for hours over coffee. We watched too much TV (ironic since i didn't a TV until 7th grade, I had to sneak into the basement, pull an old B/W set out of storage just to get my fix of Josie & the Pussycats before school! I loved all the late night USA Network stuff (even Gilbert Godfried...when hosted stuff for a while). Of course, all the greet TV I watched on the weekends when I stayed at my grandma's—my parents knew I was a lost soul.

HERE'S SOMETHING THAT MAY STUMP US: I loved a PBS  educational kids show that was from   70's/80's and had a young girl (she helps solve mysteries) with the help of a talking typewriter. Yeah, it sounds corny, but it had a wonderfully spooky atmosphere and I loved that about the show. She reminds me now of the girl from Land of the Lost (blonde braids), but that simply means it was a generic white girl. I've actually tried to find the title of this show years ago but gave up in frustration.

Don't even get me started on all the PBS shows I have watched. No cable TV makes you an addict.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:21:05 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:33 AM »
MrFulci, we better be careful. I think we could talk about TV for hours over coffee. We watched too much TV (ironic since i didn't a TV until 7th grade, I had to sneak into the basement, pull an old B/W set out of storage just to get my fix of Josie & the Pussycats before school! I loved all the late night USA Network stuff (even Gilbert Godfried...when hosted stuff for a while). Of course, all the greet TV I watched on the weekends when I stayed at my grandma's—my parents knew I was a lost soul.

HERE'S SOMETHING THAT MAY STUMP US: I loved a PBS  educational kids show that was from   70's/80's and had a young girl (she helps solve mysteries) with the help of a talking typewriter. Yeah, it sounds corny, but it had a wonderfully spooky atmosphere and I loved that about the show. She reminds me now of the girl from Land of the Lost (blonde braids), but that simply means it was a generic white girl. I've actually tried to find the title of this show years ago but gave up in frustration.

Don't even get me started on all the PBS shows I have watched. No cable TV makes you an addict.

I'll see what I can dig up about that PBS show you mention.

I watched a lot of Over the air (OTA) television, cable wasn't on all the TVs. OTA, years ago, that's where I would sometimes first see movie such as, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, Sword of the Valiant, The Pit, etc.

I think it's cool that the torch has been carried by some others, after the transition to digital broadcasting. There are now similar stations such as THIS!, Movies, and a few other I'm forgetting. They feature a good combination of older movies, and older shows.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Medic_wheat

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:44 AM »
I know you said 70s-80s but there was a early 90s PBS show called ghostwriter that sounds close to your description. Is that is?

esteban

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »

I know you said 70s-80s but there was a early 90s PBS show called ghostwriter that sounds close to your description. Is that is?

Nope, way too modern. Plus, not my generation. 
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
Read All About It?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

bob

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
Orange season 2 is...is...is...not going to be spoiled by me! 
I watched all 13 episodes in one weekend. We can talk when you're done.

Come back here once you watch it all! I'm curious to see how people felt about season 2

Oh, i finished it in one weekend, but im not a spoiler.

jtucci31

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »

Orange season 2 is...is...is...not going to be spoiled by me! 
I watched all 13 episodes in one weekend. We can talk when you're done.

Come back here once you watch it all! I'm curious to see how people felt about season 2

Oh, i finished it in one weekend, but im not a spoiler.

Oh my bad, for whatever reason I read that as you hadn't watched it yet.

Spoilers aside and as a general thought, I still enjoyed it. I think the show is still pretty solid

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »

The late 80's War of the Worlds TV series? I remember watching that on WPIX back in the day. I don't know how it would hold up today.

Yeah to be honest it is feeling pretty rough. I thought it was cool when I was a kid but right now I'm not so sure. I need to watch it a bit more before I decide completely. Tales from the Darkside however remains excellent, as do all the other series like it. Some of the stuff is on Hulu. Hitchcock, Night Gallery, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits etc.

roflmao

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »
The United States if Tara

My wife and I watched it a handful of years ago and enjoyed it.  We've been looking for something to watch again and saw it was on Netflix.  It's still really good.  And it turns out it takes place in and around Overland Park, KS which is near our neck of the woods (I work in Olathe, one of it's neighboring towns).

I think it's only 4 seasons long, and I think they were relatively short seasons (it was on Showtime originally) so we'll probably be looking for something else to watch again soon...

esteban

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
Been watching Doctor Who on netflik since i don't have bbc america it's the only way i can watch it.

...but I really felt like I wanted to start allllllllllllllllllllllllll the way back at the beginning with Doctor #1, rather then with 9.  Glad I didn't start the original series first, I probably wouldn't have given the new series a chance.  We love 10/Tenet, he is our favorite so far, not done with 11 just yet & 12 starts soon I believe. 

I have started watching the original series, but mainly in the background.  So far, atleast with the 1st Doctor, it's flipping boring.  I hear good things about Doctor 4, which is "who" I recall seeing on PBS as a kid.  Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately??) there's a lot of missing episodes back from when BBC would record over their own shows!

Ok, I grew up watching Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker & Peter Davison first, then I was able to watch all the other doctors because PBS was awesome.

Hartnell, the first doctor, is a cranky old man and I kind of like that. A curmudgeon, through and through. The stories and sets and special effects are actually pretty decent, but the sound (at least the recordings I watched on TV back in the day) had a lot to be desired and, believe it or not, I think this single factor (poor sound quality) prevents the show from making a stronger impression with modern audiences. The pacing of the stories, for example, can be slow/tedious throughout the old series  (60's-80's). I used to think the first 2-3 doctors suffered this pacing problem the worst, but now I think it's because folks simply don't find the first two doctors (and/or companions) as charismatic/engaging/etc.

The second doctor is Shemp and I think PBS aired his stuff the fewest number of times. I'm least familiar with him.

All I can say is: give all the doctors a chance. I have my favorites, too.

I also really, really hate when the "companions get in trouble" trope—even as a kid, it annoyed the hell out of me. Some companions are insanely annoying, too. I try to bear with this garbage, but I'll be honest, it is not a consistent show. You take the crap with the gold (at least I do, anyway).

For example, some of the ALL-TIME BEST stories feature the worst companions. Even a horribly annoying companion can't torpedo an otherwise good production. I am of course thinking about ------The Caves of Androzani------ so very awesome, despite Peri (horrible actress simply cannot act).

Peri = worst companion ever.

Anyway, I could go on and on about Dr. Who.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION, IF YOU LIKE BRITISH SCI-FI: If you can find a way to watch Blake's 7, do it. Blake's 7. Much enjoyment.

Which reminds me of more goodness...there's DANGER MAN / SECRET AGENT MAN and The Prisoner...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:32:47 PM by esteban »
  |    |