Author Topic: That TV Series You're Watching  (Read 9227 times)

HailingTheThings

Re: That TV Series your watching
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 04:46:52 PM »
Bone Bone Bone Bone.. Bone.. Bone.. Bone.. Bone.. Bone
Now tell me whatcha gonna do
when there ain't no where to run (tell me what)
(When judgment comes for you, when judgment comes for you)
And whatcha gonna do
when there ain't no where to hide (tell me what)
When judgment comes for you (Cause it's gonna come for you)

We're carrying a skeleton to an icy lake...

TR0N

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Been watching Doctor Who on netflik since i don't have bbc america it's the only way i can watch it.

...but I really felt like I wanted to start allllllllllllllllllllllllll the way back at the beginning with Doctor #1, rather then with 9.  Glad I didn't start the original series first, I probably wouldn't have given the new series a chance.  We love 10/Tenet, he is our favorite so far, not done with 11 just yet & 12 starts soon I believe. 

I have started watching the original series, but mainly in the background.  So far, atleast with the 1st Doctor, it's flipping boring.  I hear good things about Doctor 4, which is "who" I recall seeing on PBS as a kid.  Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately??) there's a lot of missing episodes back from when BBC would record over their own shows!

Ok, I grew up watching Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker & Peter Davison first, then I was able to watch all the other doctors because PBS was awesome.

Hartnell, the first doctor, is a cranky old man and I kind of like that. A curmudgeon, through and through. The stories and sets and special effects are actually pretty decent, but the sound (at least the recordings I watched on TV back in the day) had a lot to be desired and, believe it or not, I think this single factor (poor sound quality) prevents the show from making a stronger impression with modern audiences. The pacing of the stories, for example, can be slow/tedious throughout the old series  (60's-80's). I used to think the first 2-3 doctors suffered this pacing problem the worst, but now I think it's because folks simply don't find the first two doctors (and/or companions) as charismatic/engaging/etc.

The second doctor is Shemp and I think PBS aired his stuff the fewest number of times. I'm least familiar with him.

All I can say is: give all the doctors a chance. I have my favorites, too.

I also really, really hate when the "companions get in trouble" trope—even as a kid, it annoyed the hell out of me. Some companions are insanely annoying, too. I try to bear with this garbage, but I'll be honest, it is not a consistent show. You take the crap with the gold (at least I do, anyway).

For example, some of the ALL-TIME BEST stories feature the worst companions. Even a horribly annoying companion can't torpedo an otherwise good production. I am of course thinking about ------The Caves of Androzani------ so very awesome, despite Peri (horrible actress simply cannot act).

Peri = worst companion ever.

Anyway, I could go on and on about Dr. Who.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION, IF YOU LIKE BRITISH SCI-FI: If you can find a way to watch Blake's 7, do it. Blake's 7. Much enjoyment.

Which reminds me of more goodness...there's DANGER MAN / SECRET AGENT MAN and The Prisoner...
I grew up on watching the original series to through pbs.Still my favorite is tom baker,he added humor to the character and didn't take the role to seriously.I was watching the current doctor who through netflik i was catching up on matt smith,though i don't his take on it is that great.I was just watching and i'm caught up some but i'm annoyed they don't have the rest of season 7  ](*,)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NightWolve

Re: That TV Series you're watching
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
Before your thread takes off, you've got a typo to fix: "you're" versus "your." FYI.

As for me, I have no TV series to speak of ATM and not for ages since like early ~2000. I tried to finish off Highlander which is 6 seasons on Hulu.com a few years ago, but I stopped at the third and haven't gotten back around to it yet. My DSL sucks and so does streaming but that's only part of the reasons I haven't resumed it. Oh, I did get a few episodes of season 1 of "The Outer Limits" come to think of it back during this time. Anyway, I mostly stick with movies for entertainment I guess, these days at least.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:48:52 PM by NightWolve »

InfraMan

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:17 AM »
Cool, my wife and I recently started watching Doctor Who as well. It was a little weird at first accepting Barty Crouch as the Doctor, but he's quickly become one of my favorites (right up there with Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.) Great show!

We've also been watching the old Six Million Dollar man series, which holds up surprisingly well. Speaking of which, William Shatner guest-starred in an episode of season one and my poor TV almost couldn't handle the combined machismo of Shatner and Majors together on screen in full 70s garb. I think my wife got pregnant just from watching it... I fully expect the baby to come out sporting lush chest hair and holding a glass of bourbon.

Oh, and we'll hopefully be re-watching the awesome new Cosmos series on Blu-ray soon.

esteban

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 07:30:33 AM »

Cool, my wife and I recently started watching Doctor Who as well. It was a little weird at first accepting Barty Crouch as the Doctor, but he's quickly become one of my favorites (right up there with Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.) Great show!

We've also been watching the old Six Million Dollar man series, which holds up surprisingly well. Speaking of which, William Shatner guest-starred in an episode of season one and my poor TV almost couldn't handle the combined machismo of Shatner and Majors together on screen in full 70s garb. I think my wife got pregnant just from watching it... I fully expect the baby to come out sporting lush chest hair and holding a glass of bourbon.

Oh, and we'll hopefully be re-watching the awesome new Cosmos series on Blu-ray soon.

I haven't seen 6 Million $ or Bionic Woman in ages. I loved those shows. 

One of the best episodes of Bionic Woman involved a sentient computer (like HAL from 2001) and a doomsday weapon that would destroy the planet. 

Sadly, I can't remember any other plot lines from either series! How sad is that. I watched them all, multiple times, back in the day.

|    | 

TheClash603

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
Some of you are watching great shows, specifically Curb Your Enthusiasm, Tales from the Darkside, and Tales from the Crypt.

The only shows I regularly watch are South Park and Walking Dead, both of which are on a break right now.  Most of my TV watching doesn't consist of sitcoms/dramas, but rather is baseball or Jeopardy.

However, I am slowly making my way through Louie, as it is something my girlfriend and I can agree on.  We just finished season one and I found it pretty amusing.

esteban

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »

Some of you are watching great shows, specifically Curb Your Enthusiasm, Tales from the Darkside, and Tales from the Crypt.

The only shows I regularly watch are South Park and Walking Dead, both of which are on a break right now.  Most of my TV watching doesn't consist of sitcoms/dramas, but rather is baseball or Jeopardy.

However, I am slowly making my way through Louie, as it is something my girlfriend and I can agree on.  We just finished season one and I found it pretty amusing.

My friend told me I had to watch Louie. I am certainly curious about it.
  |    | 

TheClash603

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »

It is a little dry, in a similar vein as Curb, so you would likely enjoy it.

BTW - USA Up All Night was awesome and I am glad I wasn't the only one to watch it.

jtucci31

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »

I'm normally not a fan of comedian shows but I think his humor is pretty funny and the show is pretty good.

I was skeptical at first as well but I gave it a shot and enjoyed it.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »

I'm normally not a fan of comedian shows but I think his humor is pretty funny and the show is pretty good.

I was skeptical at first as well but I gave it a shot and enjoyed it.

Louie is definitely one of the better shows out there.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 03:30:17 AM »
I'm looking forward to season 2 of Under the Dome starting up on Monday.  It doesn't follow the book much and the characters are rather dumb, but I still enjoy it and at least it's not some jackball reality show.

Other shows I try to catch when they're on: Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, SNL, Supernatural, Dr. Who (Tom Baker's scarf for the win!), This Old House, Brooklyn Nine Nine, and the Millers (gotta watch GOB).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wildfruit

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I'm on a deep space nine marathon oh yeah.

elderbroom

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Got the urge while scrolling through Netflix to rewatch all the seasons of My Name Is Earl.  As a Kevin Smith fan .. became of a fan of Jason Lee, and Ethan Suplee.  That show cracks me up, and is great and low key before heading off to sleep. Just wish it was on HBO as I'd like to see more of Nadine Velazquez.  :pray:  I know this is Netflix, but not original content for them .. originally saw it when it was on standard TV cable.
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

Bklyn4ever

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
I just watched the 1st episode of true detective. I'm going to pull a marathon and finish the entire season by the morning.

esteban

That TV Series your watching
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
I just watched the 1st episode of true detective. I'm going to pull a marathon and finish the entire season by the morning.

I am a few (3-4) episodes in.  Excellent so far. I'm really enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to season 2 of Under the Dome starting up on Monday.  It doesn't follow the book much and the characters are rather dumb, but I still enjoy it and at least it's not some jackball reality show.

Other shows I try to catch when they're on: Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, SNL, Supernatural, Dr. Who (Tom Baker's scarf for the win!), This Old House, Brooklyn Nine Nine, and the Millers (gotta watch GOB).

I only have the handful of Dr. Who available on Netflix. Some great stuff there, but I wish I had more! gotta watch some more. I like Colin Baker more than most folks, I think.

This Old House circa 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.?  Rich Carthuey (sp?). I KNOW THE DAMN PLUMBER'S NAME.

-------

Currently watching a Season Two of original Star Trek with my daughter. Awesome.

Extras (Ricky Gervais) — rewatching because I realized I needed to. Can't believe it's been 8 years or longer.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:49:11 PM by esteban »
  |    |