Author Topic: Nes2pce Possible to get more conversions?  (Read 3273 times)

Dicer

Re: Nes2pce Possible to get more conversions?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »
Soooo how about Recca?

Ew, we have the FAR superior shmup machine....there are much better titles to hack over.

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 06:47:02 AM »

Soooo how about Recca?

Ew, we have the FAR superior shmup machine....there are much better titles to hack over.

And you don't think Recca could benefit from that superiority?  :/

But I will at least agree that something other than a shmup would be preferably... like a good action platformer, something the PCE sorely lacks. 

GIMMICK!
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Dicer

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »

Soooo how about Recca?

And you don't think Recca could benefit from that superiority?  :/

But I will at least agree that something other than a shmup would be preferably... like a good action platformer, something the PCE sorely lacks. 

GIMMICK!

Recca would be fine, but we just already have a fine selection.

Doesn't Gimmick use an extra chip? I imagine that would be a huge hindrance.

Metroid would be awesome. Or Zelda

technozombie

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 06:48:29 AM »
The Legend of Zelda ported to PCE then upgraded with the sprites/graphics from the BS Zelda Remake would be pretty sweet just on principal alone.

Bonknuts

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
The Legend of Zelda ported to PCE then upgraded with the sprites/graphics from the BS Zelda Remake would be pretty sweet just on principal alone.
Very, very doable. But Zelda has extra ram (8k cart +2k sys =10k total), so making it a hucard project means using Tailchain's hucard (which mendafen supports) - or make a custom card (ram/rom card). Or make it as CD only project.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Nod had already started on a Zelda remake, I think Frag did the gfx IIRC.  I think though the engine was based on the Neutopia 3 engine rather then the NES game itself.

Dicer

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »
Nod had already started on a Zelda remake, I think Frag did the gfx IIRC.  I think though the engine was based on the Neutopia 3 engine rather then the NES game itself.

Neutopia 3 existed at some point?!?!!

Such a tease seeing the ending of 2 only to never get the sequel...

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »

We were working on our own homebrew version of N3 years ago, but abandoned it due to copyright stuff.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »

We were working on our own homebrew version of N3 years ago, but abandoned it due to copyright stuff.

Just release it under the name "N3wtopia" and change everyone's skin color to blue. There. Done. :3

clackattack

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
^^^ Love this idea, problem solved!
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Desh

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 05:53:17 AM »
I'm sooooo late to this party but since I recently got an ED I've been checking these out.  Huge praise to Bonknuts on this work.  NES and Turbo/PCE are my favorite consoles so this is like a wet dream to me.

I would love to see more run and guns as it is my personal favorite genre.  It's awesome to see Contra (what about using the Japanese version with English hack for the extra animation).  Of course, Super C would be killer.  I wonder if Contra Force could benefit by running on NEC hardware?

The game I think would be most bad ass would be Journey to Silius.

Of course, having the NES version of Batman and ports of Turtles 2 and 3 would be amazing as well.  I wish I was more smarter and could do some of this software stuff myself.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:58:02 AM by Desh »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
In regards to Journey to Silius, I think most or all Sunsoft games used special chips for the sound, but don't quote me on that.  Atleast some did, which would probably add to the headache in hacking.

SamIAm

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
In regards to Journey to Silius, I think most or all Sunsoft games used special chips for the sound, but don't quote me on that.  Atleast some did, which would probably add to the headache in hacking.

Sunsoft had their own custom mapper called the FME-7, but Gimmick was the only one of their games that used a special version of it (called the Sunsoft 5B) for sound AFAIK.

If you can get the FME-7 to work in emulation on the PCE, then you can at least get Gimmick to work without any of the extra sound channels. That's how it runs on an Everdrive, which currently doesn't have the 5B channels supported at all.

Desh

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 11:35:47 PM »

There is nothing special about Silius.  It's SLROM which was used by many, many other games on Nintendo's 8 - bit hardware.  The actual chip is MMC1B1 or MMC1B2 (I can't remember exactly which and I don't think there's a difference anyways).  This is far from being one of the more advanced PCB's.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 03:14:49 AM »
Had another thought to add to the bucket list: Guardian Legend. Remixed music and upgraded graphics, that would be sweeto.