Author Topic: "Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"  (Read 3453 times)

TheClash603

Re: "Why I Dislike The N64", or "What is the Deal With the N64?"
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Never understood the dis-like for the N64.  It was bad ass for its time.  I remember paying for mine in advance, and waiting in line on release day to pick it up.  One of the most exciting systems I have ever owned, and got myself all worked up over.  No regrets to this day...  I only wish they had released the sequel to ShadowGate 64 that we never saw... 

Meaning it came out in other regions or it was cancelled?  I have Shadowgate 64, didn't know a second existed in any form.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »
I'm not one to think highly of my own opinion enough to thrust it out into the world, but every so often........

How would a person go about sharing thoughts, feelings or opinions in a appropriate way without "thinking highly of their own opinion enough to thrust it out into the world?"

By your definition anytime a person shares their opinion or comments they are forcing their beliefs on you when in reality they are really just sharing their opinions and participating in the conversion.

I shared my opinion in a polite way just like you did.  What separates our comments to mean that I was forcing my beliefs on you but you were not forcing your beliefs on me?

MrBroadway

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 03:24:26 AM »
I will say in response to one of the members above, I agree with your points on how this is merely my opinion on the N64...I'm saying is that I don't like it and I have some opinions as to why I don't.
Oh, I thought you were looking as to whether those opinions were good or not. My bad.

I don't begrudge anyone who dislikes the N64, but I also don't care if they don't like the PC Engine, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, 2600, etc... So long as they say "I tried it, and I myself don't like it."

But when you say things like "There weren't even 20 universally loved games on it that still hold up", you're crossing into territory that allows criticism. That's what I was getting at.

BlueBMW

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:43 AM »
I'll just leave this one here....

Actually maybe I should explain...  N64, ahhh those were the days.  In 1996 I was 12 years old, aka perfect little kid video gaming age.  At school we would watch Channel 1 in the mornings and there would be commercials for the N64...  When I saw Mario 64 and Waverace 64 and the whole concept that you could "go anywhere and any direction"  to my 6th grade person that was phenomenal.  Keep in mind up to that point my gaming was limited to NES, SNES and Genesis (and PC... but that's a different story)  So I had never really experienced a real 3D game outside of maybe Fzero.

So Christmas of 96 passed and around February of 97 I was calling every used game store in town (Game Force, Buy Back Games etc in the Denver area for those who remember) to find a cheaper "used" N64.... Finally I found one at Game Force Lakewood (right next to Casa Bonita iirc...)  I bought the system, mario 64 and waverace 64.  I was soooo excited to get home and play.

Got it home, hooked it up to the parents "big screen" TV.  It was one of those old school rear projection monsters.  It was gaming bliss.  I was not disappointed in the least.  The new 3d control and experience was so awesome I was in heaven.

Later games came along like Goldeneye and Starfox which my friends and I played the crap out of.  Literally there would be 10 of us in a living room taking turns playing multiplayer Goldeneye.  Later on I got Banjo Kazooie and that game stuck with me as my favorite N64 game.  Excellent music, fun gameplay and even compared to modern graphical standards I still think it looks really great.  I play it every year around Christmas time.

So yeah, my N64 love is not founded so much on the actual merits of the system but on the fact that it hit me at just the right impressionable age.  I noticed someone mentioned PC games above.  I was an avid PC gamer before I got into any consoles.  I always felt they were different experiences so I never remember comparing consoles to PC games.  Games like Dune 2, Civilization, Star Control 2, Heroes of Might and Magic etc etc were PC games and of course were superior to anything consoles could make.  With regard to the Goldeneye debate.... I had not really played much other than Doom or maybe Dark Forces so I didnt have too much to compare to when it came to FPS games at the time.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

vexcollects

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:01 AM »
I'm not one to think highly of my own opinion enough to thrust it out into the world, but every so often........

How would a person go about sharing thoughts, feelings or opinions in a appropriate way without "thinking highly of their own opinion enough to thrust it out into the world?"

By your definition anytime a person shares their opinion or comments they are forcing their beliefs on you when in reality they are really just sharing their opinions and participating in the conversion.

I shared my opinion in a polite way just like you did.  What separates our comments to mean that I was forcing my beliefs on you but you were not forcing your beliefs on me?

I think you are interpreting my comments in ways I did not intend. I'm not talking about you, your opinion, or whether you are forcing anything on anyone or not. I'm only speaking about myself. When you say "by your definition.... ", I didn't define anything. I don't always share my opinion because I know there is always someone more educated on the subject than I. I am just one dude who thinks a thing. There are many dudes who think about the same things and have more information on the subject than I. If anyone doesn't share my opinion because they are more knowledgeable than I, great, more power to them. Maybe I learn something from them. I don't care if I'm right or wrong. My ego is not wounded.
I'm sure your opinion was shared in a friendly intention. I didn't realize that mine was not friendly or that I was not being friendly. I apologize to those who I have offended.

Oh yeah, and who also likes Pilotwings 64? Even though I don't care much for the system, Pilotwings is intense fun to this day.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:39:16 AM by vexcollects »

synbiosfan

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 04:53:58 AM »
Oh yeah, and who also likes Pilotwings 64? Even though I don't care much for the system, Pilotwings is intense fun to this day.

I enjoy it very much. A buddy of mine and I played it a lot (and drank a lot) so I have some pretty fond memories of it. Great collection of mini games.

I grabbed a copy at the flea market years ago so that I'd have a copy. On the rare times I hook the 64 up, it's one of the games I play. Another is Resident Evil 2, I really like how it turned out.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 05:33:23 AM »

I think you are interpreting my comments in ways I did not intend. I'm not talking about you, your opinion, or whether you are forcing anything on anyone or not. I'm only speaking about myself. When you say "by your definition.... ", I didn't define anything. I don't always share my opinion because I know there is always someone more educated on the subject than I. I am just one dude who thinks a thing. There are many dudes who think about the same things and have more information on the subject than I. If anyone doesn't share my opinion because they are more knowledgeable than I, great, more power to them. Maybe I learn something from them. I don't care if I'm right or wrong. My ego is not wounded.
I'm sure your opinion was shared in a friendly intention. I didn't realize that mine was not friendly or that I was not being friendly. I apologize to those who I have offended.

No worries mate.  I think we are on the same page now :D

MrFulci

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »

So yeah, my N64 love is not founded so much on the actual merits of the system but on the fact that it hit me at just the right impressionable age.  I noticed someone mentioned PC games above.  I was an avid PC gamer before I got into any consoles.  I always felt they were different experiences so I never remember comparing consoles to PC games.  Games like Dune 2, Civilization, Star Control 2, Heroes of Might and Magic etc etc were PC games and of course were superior to anything consoles could make.  With regard to the Goldeneye debate.... I had not really played much other than Doom or maybe Dark Forces so I didnt have too much to compare to when it came to FPS games at the time.

Mentioned in a different post was the N64 promo tape. I got one in the mail too, I guess since I was a registered SNES owner. I watched it, but nothing about that system hit with me. Same with PS1, and those other systems.

N64 is part of when consoles started drifting a direction I did not care for. There was nothing exclusive I cared for on any system, except for some stuff on Jaguar.

I did like the 3DO and PS1 Road Rash. Though I did later buy that game, a PS1 CD, that I can play on the PS2. Though, back then, Road Rash was not reason enough for me to get a 3DO or PS1 of my own.

The graphics I was seeing on N64 and such, were old stuff to me by the time it was released. I had Stellar 7 on the PC for years. I even enjoyed the cheapo game Scorcher (racing game). Just, there was so much more, that looked better, and controlled better on PCs, at least to me.

Consoles are cheaper than PCs, so I can see why many younger people had those to play with. Also, consoles are less complicated than PC games, and have that, "Plug and play" thing. Myself, I was too keen on tinkering with custom DOOM, Quake, Blood, HOMM maps, etc.  7th Guest, Carmageddon.

*edited to add;

The other thing, during that time about 20 years ago, was that I saw I was getting much more for my money with PC games. SO MUCH MORE value for the cost of the game. SOSO MUCH custom stuff out there, editors. Ability to enhance your graphics later, if your rig was powerful enough for all the eye candy, sometimes replacing your video card X amount fo time later, reloading the game again, it was a bit different. For example, I've got so much of my money's worth out of DOOM and DOOM 2, considering people are still making custom stuff for it.

Overall, during the era of N64, consoles just felt, to me, like a step back. The 2D and semi-3D I liked about consoles was gone there, for the most part, also. Platformers, though I played Xargon, commander keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, and I forget what else, on PC with a Gravis gamepad, is till preferred those games on consoles.

N64, was just a fork in the road to me. Consoles were abandoning the stuff I liked. PCs, they still had stuff I liked, and even older game styles were still being released. Independent publishers. Lots more.

Even PC games branched off a bit. With FPS, during the mid 00's some games got too heavy on story/plot for me, and seemed less fun. I fell out of caring about new FPS games after a while. Every so often something new is released that I enjoy, like the new Rise of the Triad, but, it's not often.

Back to N64, that era of console games is what I remember most as a branching off period, and though I played PS1, N64, etc, none of those consoles made me eager to buy one. I used that time to buy used and heavily discounted stuff for my 16-bit systems.

About all I remember from that era of N64, as being pretty notable to me, was the Resident Evil games, and Metal gear Solid. Still not enough to sell me on a system, but, interesting to play here and there.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:43:25 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Medic_wheat

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »
Ok now this thread is just reminding me that I need to pick up a copy of RE2, Pilot Wings, Banzo 1 & 2, Conkers, and shadowgate.

Luckly I have the rest mentioned.

A few others on my want list include

Worms
Duke Nukem
Bango?  (Import that was also on the dreamcast)
Sin and Punishment
Evongelion
Robotron
bust a move

And I am sure a few others lol.   Collecting for the N64 is still semi afordable but it is syarting to heat up.  I alsobrefuse to pay $80 for a loose non import game.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 06:50:05 AM »
I dislike the N64 because it is not OBEY, and no Falcom either.  :mrgreen:

If a Nintendo 64 or PS1 fell into my lap, no matter the games, I would put plug it all in to test it out, then sell it to someone to get rid of it.

I think that way about anything that's not OBEY, PC-FX, LA (even the damn feka pac, 'cause you gotta have both!), or PSP.  All systems have at least a few good games worth playing, but I've only got time for a few.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MrFulci

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »
I dislike the N64 because it is not OBEY, and no Falcom either.  :mrgreen:

If a Nintendo 64 or PS1 fell into my lap, no matter the games, I would put plug it all in to test it out, then sell it to someone to get rid of it.

I think that way about anything that's not OBEY, PC-FX, LA (even the damn feka pac, 'cause you gotta have both!), or PSP.  All systems have at least a few good games worth playing, but I've only got time for a few.

Here we go, some CliffsNotes, for ya, about me;

Every system may have some games worth playing. Just depends on a person's taste. Similar to film and genres, regions, budget, etc.

People wonder what I find in the Jaguar, but, Tempest 2000, a rotary controller, WOWZA. Plus some other stuff. It's my taste there, my silly pick-up and play arcade game, like some TG-16 games.

Anyway,

If I had NOT had a PC, I'd probably feel differently about that era (PS1, 3DO, N64, etc.) But I did, and DOOM led me to add a 250mb hard drive, 486, proper adlib card, etc.

During that time, why Starfox? Starfox 64? Why, when I had stuff like Descent?

It was an age thing too, I remember so clearly at that time, my FIRST 2X CD-ROM! Then, the 4X CD-ROM!

System Shock 2.. That's all I could say years ago when people were raving about Bio Shock. I am glad SS2 got recently updated, with a proper wide release patch on GOG, Steam, etc. More people, now familiar with Bio Shock, can see what the PC had years before that.

Had I been a certain age, not had a PC capable of certain games, and had different taste, I'd feel different about certain systems after 16-bit. :)

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »
........... but I've only got time for a few.

That's another point, only so much time, for so much. Gotta have a bit of a cut-off point, otherwise one gets overwhelmed, and becomes, what's what word around  here... Colectard? One who never plays, but only buys.

reson8er

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
I owned a 64 and several games, but really disliked the systems library overall.  I disliked the controller, the horrible look of most games and to this day I have 0 regrets from selling it. A real let down from the SNES imo.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
I hated N64 when it came out when I was 10.   Here's why:

1) Controller was retarded
2) Batteries were involved for some of the crap
3) No RPGs because no CDs
4) Mario 64 sucked
5) hardly any good games ever actually came out in comparison to Playstation.

As years went on, my anti N64 feelings were unchanged because I watched Zelda get ruined, more crap 3D platformers, versions of games that sucked compared to PS1.

The controller still blew.

It never really got any better.   There's maybe 10 games on the system that are worth owning.

People may have had fun with the n64 and enjoyed it, but you really can't say it was better than the Playstation. 

Its only perk was 4 player bullshit, which is a moot point for people like me who don't like playing games with people.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

MrFulci

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
People may have had fun with the n64 and enjoyed it, but you really can't say it was better than the Playstation. 

Basically, if I had a choice, to spend X years with an N64, or a PS1, I'd go with the PS1. At least I could play Road Rash with it  :-k