Author Topic: 2 Player TG16 Console Mod  (Read 1327 times)

cjameslv

2 Player TG16 Console Mod
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
Why not? Anyone done this before? Looked around but didn't find anything (still new to forums, may have missed it). I been thinking how cool it would be to have a 2 player console. Yes i know there is a 5 port adapter but i'm thinking built-in would look alot better.

If there's no write up on this i'll go ahead and post more pics as i proceed. I added some pics for reference displaying clearances, things that will need relocation, placements etc.

Thanks

Port placement

DIN & test fit pcb

Test fit

5port unsoldered

Test fit of 5port
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:28:05 PM by cjameslv »

cr8zykuban0

Re: 2 Player TG16 Console Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
that's exactly what the turbo should have came with in the first place! that would be an awesome project forsure! love to see more pics from the progress!

esteban

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
I look forward to more pics. 
  |    | 

SephirothTNH

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »
Great project.  I've been planning on doing something similar to my DUO when I finally get around to working on it.  My only question about it is if there are any compatibility issues with any games or peripherals when using the multitap?  If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

Ayce

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:15:34 AM »
You may have heard this enough... Maybe not. Great idea, I will be watching the progress on this.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:50:26 AM »
I presume an external tap will no longer work with such a mod, seeing as you'd be daisy chaining two taps together.  Removing the ability to play five player Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, etc. pretty much ruins the system for me.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

cjameslv

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:31:07 AM »
Update*

I did a pinout of the turbotap (us ver.) and of the board din connector. Wired up the turbotap. When testing the unit did not work correctly. Found this was due to the port not feeding through the turbotap. So i had to cut the traces and wire the port to the turbotap and it worked correctly. I will be wiring up the second port tonight when i get home from work and doing more testing.

Also due to the placement of the second port, i had to relocate the transistor. I lengthened the wires and will be attaching it to the top of the heatsink instead of the bottom where it used to be. there is 2 existing threaded holes on top of the heatsink so this will work nicely.

I'll update this as i proceed. Thanks!

Turbotap Pinout

Wired up TurboTap

Transistor Extension
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:30:04 PM by cjameslv »

cjameslv

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:45 AM »
I presume an external tap will no longer work with such a mod, seeing as you'd be daisy chaining two taps together.  Removing the ability to play five player Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, etc. pretty much ruins the system for me.

Unsure about the daisy chain (has anyone tested to see if 2 of them work? i imagine you would just use the last tap in the chain and still only be able to use 5 players tho..). I don't have a need for 5 player bomberman or 5player anything. Just me and wife play on this and i'm just fine with that. If that need ever arose, i'll just use my unmodded TG16.

I thought about doing something similar, only making a new mold for the console so all 5 ports would fit in. just wire the tap board directly to the leads for the original port, then from that board run wires out to wherever you want the 5 ports to be.

Then i realized it'd be easier to duct tape a tap to the top of the turbob.  Looks pretty slick!

Duct tape is so universal!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:40:22 AM by cjameslv »

ishiyakazuo

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »

Unsure about the daisy chain (has anyone tested to see if 2 of them work? i imagine you would just use the last tap in the chain and still only be able to use 5 players tho..). I don't have a need for 5 player bomberman or 5player anything. Just me and wife play on this and i'm just fine with that. If that need ever arose, i'll just use my unmodded TG16.
The way it seems to work is that a clock comes in and it switches ports every clock edge.  So by daisy chaining them, my current thinking is that you'd only have access to the first port of the downstream multitap, and then only once out of every 5 samples (so every button press would be like an auto-fire).  However, there is something about the multitap detecting the DIN connector shells, and skipping the unconnected controllers, but I kind of doubt that to be true, because there's no way to convey which controller's data is being sent up, generally (it resets, then polls all 5, as I understand it).

In short, it seems highly likely that there will be no way to chain an extra multitap to this.  (Maybe it'd make sense to wire up the other three to a DB25 connector somewhere, and make a breakout cable or something, for those times when Bomberman must be played?)

cjameslv

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
In short, it seems highly likely that there will be no way to chain an extra multitap to this.  (Maybe it'd make sense to wire up the other three to a DB25 connector somewhere, and make a breakout cable or something, for those times when Bomberman must be played?)

Hmm a breakout cable within a port area (possibly in the old rf spot), seems like that would be a good possibility. Since this one is for myself though, i'm just going to go with the 2 player mod and leave it there for now.

Duo_R

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
pics of the final install?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

cjameslv

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
pics of the final install?

Not yet, lol i wish! I'm still finishing up a few things and still have to work on the exterior.

turbokon

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
You know, I've been thinking about this myself.  The tg16 has room to add the the internals from the turbo tab.  Will try this when I have some time later on.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Desh

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »
I eagerly await the finished result.  I have been wanting to do this since I first grabbed a tap.  I have been searching for a spare for awhile to mate to a spare TG I have.  I also play to do region mod and RGB to make it the ultimate TG console.

cjameslv

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
Update*

Hey guys i had some time to wire up port 2 (which is now port 1). I decided to make a fast video to show it working. Still alot to do but as time permits i do what i can!

Here's a quick video:

Things left to do:
1. Tidy up wires
2. Drill hole for new port
3. Put it all back together and post pics video etc.
**4. I will be doing an rgb to componet mod to the CD adapter later on.