Author Topic: PC Engine vs. Turbo Grafx-16  (Read 2376 times)

Keranu

PC Engine vs. Turbo Grafx-16
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »
Turbo! Turbo! Turbo! :lol:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Shadow

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 03:49:44 AM »
PCE 4ever... nothing else. Grew up with it, played with it, collected it, sold it.... and now restart collecting ;-)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!

www.lightspeed.ch
Fun, Games 'n Friends

Tatsujin

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
and so it is, and it never will change! :wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »
Quote from: "SignofZeta"
The Turbo is litterally twice as big as a PCE just because they thought (probably correctly at the time) that Americans like stuff that is big for no other reason that it being big.

The official NEC reason for making it bigger was to comply with FCC rules of the day regarding RF interference.  My mind is still boggled about why this would be an issue to anyone anywhere.  Crazy FCC.

The PC Engine is definitely better looking, just as long as you don't hook up anything to it other than a controller and a game card.  Want to hook it to a TV?  Well then you need a cable awkwardly protruding from the SIDE of the system (of course the Turbo also suffered from this).  Want to step up to the sky-high quality of composite video?  Slap a GIANT AV booster on the ass of the machine (do composite video, stereo audio, and a battery save really require that much extra space?) and suddenly it doesn't look so cute any more.  The TG-16 booster looks better.  Want a CD-ROM drive?  That suitcase thing for the PC Engine is freakin' UGLY!  And fairly large in every direction, it seems.  The TG-16 attached to the CD-ROM drive (which can hold over 4,000 megabits!!!!) looks odd, but it still does look more aesthetically pleasing and, well, less "sloppy".  I don't know about it being better looking that the Genesis 1 atop the Sega CD 1, though.  That setup looked pretty cool.  The Sega CD 2, on the other hand, looked like ass no matter what it was attached to.

I have spoken.  And so it is written.  errr... yeah.

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 04:45:26 PM »
PCE briefcase looks awesome, don't be a hater :P .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
PCE briefcase looks awesome, don't be a hater :P .

abolutely aight! how he just can say?? :wink:
it's one of the most best great nice cute and so on looking systems in the entire universe of video games! :D

i mean, even the pce-cdrom-ifu30 combo wasn't that much bigger than the trubografx itself. and with the asymetric attached cd-rom in the backyard of the turbografx, you got an ugly space wasting sculpture directly from hell! sorry guys, also won't be a hater as well :wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 05:29:45 PM »
Why you all hatin' on the Turbo CD?

Don't be hatin'!!!!!

Stop the hate.  For the sake of peace.

Keranu

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 05:38:19 PM »
Oh hell no I don't be hatin' the Turbo CD, I love that equally as much as the PCE CD! Steve's previous post gives reason why :D . It may look tacky, but I love that! Plus for back then, it looked pretty futuristic! It's almost as if you could time travel with it.

Tatsujin

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 05:49:01 PM »
It's almost as if you could time travel with it.

the flux capacitor add-on for the us turbo only. ooh, how i wish that one :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Keranu

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 06:08:43 PM »
Haha, flux capacitor. 1.21 GIGAWATTS!

Tatsujin

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 06:44:59 PM »
1.21 GIGAWATTS!

also no probs there, with this kind of grinder aka

:wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

SignOfZeta

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
Want a CD-ROM drive?  That suitcase thing for the PC Engine is freakin' UGLY!  And fairly large in every direction, it seems.  The TG-16 attached to the CD-ROM drive (which can hold over 4,000 megabits!!!!) looks odd, but it still does look more aesthetically pleasing and, well, less "sloppy".

I'm sure if I live to be a million years old you will still be the only person I've ever heard say that.

I think the PCE+CD combo is second only to the original WonderMega in aesthetics. I totally love it.

Additionally, although I don't have the measurements, I don't think its any larger, and in fact might be smaller, than the fugly-ass T-shaped TG-16+CD thing.

Keranu

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »
Right on, Zeta. For a good size of the PCE+CDROM2, I just compared it to my model 1 Genesis and they are almost exactly the same size: width, length, and even height. Same goes with the Turbo Duo compared to it, except the Turbo Duo is shorter in height.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2006, 10:35:27 PM »
Wow, it sounds like I've really hurt some feelings, here!  I hope I haven't caused too many emotional scars.  The briefcase part of it looks sloppy.  I imagine this isn't true when it is in briefcase mode (ie: with the top on), but with the top off it looks like a thin piece of plastic.  There are areas that should be filled in, but they look hollow.  Pictures may be deceiving about the size.  Hardly anyone takes pictures of PC Engine stuff.  Just yesterday I saw my first picture EVER of the back of the PCE and the little red cover.  The TurboDuo is larger than a Genesis 1.

But we need to get to the real issue here:  NEC's reason for enlarging the TurboGrafx.

Tatsujin

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2006, 11:00:17 PM »

vs.

Round 1!! Fight!!

:D
www.pcedaisakusen.net