Author Topic: PC Engine vs. Turbo Grafx-16  (Read 2377 times)

Tatsujin

PC Engine vs. Turbo Grafx-16
« on: June 26, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »
Which system you like more to play on or collect it? the Japanese or US release (with all its mutations and addons etc)?
since i discovered that the TG-16 forum almost reached twice the amount of posts and topics than the PCE forum, may be an interessting question  :wink:

comments are welcome all the time as well  :wink:

(sorry, thought that this would fit best in the general console section, since it handles about both of the systems  :) ).
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 11:05:31 PM »
PCE i like it's design more plus it's compact.

Only thing i'll credit for on the, TG16 that it was durable nothing more.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

KingDrool

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:06:04 AM »
I collect TG-16 games, though I like the look and feel of the PC Engine better.  I speak 0 Japanese and grew up with the TG-16, so that's just how it goes for me.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

rolins

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:15:34 AM »
My vote goes to PCE. I think it was in '98 when I first picked up my coregrafx II and started collecting. I never owned a TG16 back in day because my neighbor already had one, and would come over to play Blazing Lazers and Legendary Axe.

The TG16 games is just too expensive for me. I do own a few of them just so I could play them on my TE, but I prefer to buy the japanese counterparts just to keep my collection consistant. Plus, the artwork completely destorys the american covers.

cavein2000

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »
I'm going with the Turbo.  I own both the TG16 and a Supergrafx/PCE with Super CD Rom2.  I am really building my Turbo collection right now, but am excited about getting into some titles for the PCE too.  As far as the games go, I haven't fully explored the PCE titles but I'm always looking.  My vote might be different six months down the road though.
What a horrible night to have a curse...

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »
PCE all the way, so much we were deprived of.

Digi.k

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »
yup PCE.. its just too cute !! :oops:

esteban

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
I can't vote, because they are inseperable for me.

I am hardcore TG-16 / TG-CD fan, since that's the console I had back in the day. I think the North American releases are something to treasure.

But the TG-16 had a severely limited library and as a result you could never stop there.

So even back in the day, I was enthralled with the PCE universe (though my experience was limited to a handful of imports).

The breadth of the PCE universe is amazing and still holds my interest  because there are so many games I have yet to play (and so much PCE history I don't know about).

My love for TG-16 and PCE is intertwined. I like to get both the  US and JP versions of the same titles...

But nowadays, I spend most of my time with the PCE, since I've been spending a lot of time with Japanese HuCards.
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:56:31 PM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
I collect TG-16 games, though I like the look and feel of the PC Engine better.  I speak 0 Japanese and grew up with the TG-16, so that's just how it goes for me.

Gotta agree with this one all the way. I prefer the TG16 personally, although I think that both names are really kinda stupid. :D

PC Gaijin

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 05:08:04 PM »
I voted Turbografx-16. It was my first "next-gen" system (really, the first time I was somewhat aware of the goings on in the vid game industry), the first system I imported games for, etc. Too many fine memories tied up in the system and that particular time in my life. However, I acquired most of my Turbo collection "back in the day" when it was more readily available and (in some cases) much cheaper. If I were starting out now, I'd probably go with the PC Engine. I always was disappointed with the way the Turbo was changed in looks from the PCE, and the cover art on US releases was so horrible.

Ah hell, I think I agree with stevek666. I love 'em both. But I voted Turbo because it's the Rodney Dangerfield of consoles, no respect! :D

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 05:12:40 PM »
Yeah I can understand that. I feel the same way toward my SuperNES, though it got shafted alot as the TG has, but it's just because I had it since childhood.

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »
I voted Turbo Grafx 16 and I wasn't even raised on the system and was into Japanese gaming when I first got into the TG16/PCE scene. So why TG16 for me? I simply love the American style of the Turbo's universe, whether it be advertising, hardware, artwork, etc...

I collect the American TG16 versions of games whenever I can, unless it's something really expensive and rare inwhich it's easier and cheaper to buy the Japanese version. I love looking through my TG16 game cases and manuals because it always gives me a good laugh and a great feeling of nostalgia even though I never experienced the system as a kid.

The Japanese side of things might look more "sleek", but for what it's worth, I like the cheesy American side :) , it's just a lot more fun to me. I admit that the PCE+CDROM2 briefcase set up is probably the coolest system design ever made, but it's just a lot of fun for me to see how the American version turned out and how 80's it was. However on a serious note, I think the Turbo Duo looks a lot cooler than the PCE Duo even though the differences are just a few.

And to top everything off, playing in English is nice :) . So for me, Turbo Grafx 16 all the way  8) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:10 AM »
this is the problem.... I would love to support the TG but I hate the look... and most of the games I really love playing are japan only.... (its the same problem with the saturn although thankfully the western look wasn't drastically changed)

how can you resist its charms..??

I'm really hoping when WII comes out hudson will translate their HuCARD games like momotaro peach boy and ready for download because I think these 'oriental/japanese' characters and stories are more accepted by westerners now..

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 06:45:03 PM »
As far as looks go.PC Engine,or Coregrafx,then TG16 deck. I hate the look of the Duo(US or JP) and esp hate the look of the Duo-R/RX.

Gameplay wise,Pc-Engine. I have no qualms about playing a japanese release of a game versus a US release,and I hated about all the US releases artwork on the packaging.

takashirose

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 06:56:25 PM »
You don't like the Duo design?  I think it's one of the best in the industry.
Let the old mix with the new.