Author Topic: PC-FX homebrew development.  (Read 10163 times)

elmer

Re: PC-FX homebrew development.
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2015, 04:42:13 AM »
I'll wait until you have a stable system though. Hopefully, it'll work in Windows... I couldn't give a rat's hairy ass about Linux, and I know I'm not alone there.
Makes sense to wait a bit ... there's no rush. Yes, Windows is the primary target ... I can work in Linux, and love some of the tools, but I prefer Windows.

It needs msys2 (sort-of-linux-on-windows) in order to compile things like GCC and Mednafen ... but I really don't want you to have to run that in order to develop for the PCE or PC-FX.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »
I am not sure what you intend to put on PC-FX elmer, but please don't let it be an Amiga game.

There a 5 extra buttons on the controller.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

elmer

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »
Some new toys finally arrived this morning  :)

I'm seeing 2 controllers there that don't look like they have 5 extra buttons!

Not all games work best with a joypad ... even if a joypad is still a "supported" option.  :wink:

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
Some new toys finally arrived this morning  :)

I'm seeing 2 controllers there that don't look like they have 5 extra buttons!

Not all games work best with a joypad ... even if a joypad is still a "supported" option.  :wink:

Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious fact that a mouse isn't a controller and that they don't function like one, lol.

The PC-FX is sorely lacking in action games, so I would've hoped you'd carry that torch instead of making a clicky game that we have plenty of already.

I doubt you'll be able to top a game like Pia Carrot, especially if you're going to redo an Amiga game on PC-FX, lol.    It'd be lacking two things:  Quality, and Titties.

I myself am against putting most Amiga eurowank nonsense on my beloved PC-FX, though.

Just out of curiosity, how well versed are you in the PC-FX's library?   I ask only because you may want to get on that before you try filling voids or putting similar stuff on the thing.    It's basically a niche machine that lacks in quality Japanese action games, but to me has a certain flavor to it that needs to be upheld.

elmer

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious fact that a mouse isn't a controller and that they don't function like one, lol.
You're wrong there ... a mouse is a controller ... and so is a joypad ... there's a difference between the generic "controller" term and the specific case. If you ever develop a title on a platform that has strict manufacturer's standards (including terminology) ... then you'll learn to tell the difference.

Yes, I know what you meant ... but your language was imprecise, and that gave me a loophole ... so I took advantage of it.  :wink:

The PC-FX is sorely lacking in action games, so I would've hoped you'd carry that torch instead of making a clicky game that we have plenty of already.
Since you obviously don't have a clue of what I'm thinking of doing ... is there some reason that you're being so negative?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »
You're wrong there ... a mouse is a controller ... and so is a joypad ... there's a difference between the generic "controller" term and the specific case. If you ever develop a title on a platform that has strict manufacturer's standards (including terminology) ... then you'll learn to tell the difference.

Yes, I know what you meant ... but your language was imprecise, and that gave me a loophole ... so I took advantage of it.  :wink:

Yes, I know the difference.  However, we're talking about consoles where the typical vernacular dictates that controller = standard thing that came with the machine, and mouse = thing you bought extra that isn't a controller because it doesn't work with majority of the library.

Your already typical semantics nonsense (in such a small post count), and bullshit penis waving aside, yes, you know what I meant, so, the entire thing was rather pointless.

I personally really wish you would cut with the borderline useless condescending, know-it-all crap and just get to the point (If you have one).  ](*,)  It's obvious you know stuff, but I'm not sure why you choose to deliver it in such a retarded manner.

Since you obviously don't have a clue of what I'm thinking of doing ... is there some reason that you're being so negative?
First, I'm not being negative.  You're new here and don't really know the crowd too good yet.  Try participating in threads besides rolling around in the technical ones, and you might realize this shit, instead of just being a bit of a knob and rubbing certain people the wrong way.

I am stating facts (PC-FX lacks action games, Amiga games are mostly beyond shit attempts at mimicking Japanese games), and speculating based off of your Amiga statement from before/your current mouse-jabbery, that you're probably not making an action game.

This was your cue to chime in a little and elaborate.  You may have picked up on this if you dialed back the condescension-o-meter a bit and would stop being so quick to assert your prior experience that I really couldn't give two f*cks about at this point. 

This is all curiosity because

1) I am interested.
2) The PC-FX is my second favorite machine, next to the PCE.

This is why I asked how well versed you are in the library.  Are you aware of what voids need filled, and how they might be filled?

You don't really participate in the forum outside of technical crap, so I honestly have no clue what kind of experience you have with either NEC machine in terms of actual gameplay. 

I come from the "try to put something on the machine that isn't there already" walk of life, instead of the "put some trite bullshit on the machine just because I felt like it" one.

My personal stance is: If you don't really have a strong passion for a platform and the current library, you really probably shouldn't be making a game for that platform until you fix this issue. 

Anyway, I am Arkhan.  I don't sugar coat anything.  You've probably noticed this by now.

Mednafen

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 11:54:44 PM »
Arkhan and his acerbic words don't speak for me, and I've little doubt others here feel the same way.

Just do whatever you want or is is enjoyable, even if "enjoyable" turns out to be a simple Tyrian port. ;)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 03:05:56 AM »
Make games you enjoy and want to work on.  If it's fun, I'll gladly buy it and play it, giving zero f*cks that there's other similar games.

I come from the "try to put something on the machine that isn't there already" walk of life, instead of the "put some trite bullshit on the machine just because I felt like it" one.

Bitch, please.  I enjoy Insanity, Pyramid Plunder, and Atlantean quite a bit, but you're batshit crazy if you think they're filling a void and unlike several other game in the PCE's library.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 03:47:03 AM »
I would have no problem making action games for the PC-FX... platformers and shooters especially.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 03:53:47 AM »
Even with only two players, Bomberman FX would be le tits.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 05:35:43 AM »
Bitch, please.  I enjoy Insanity, Pyramid Plunder, and Atlantean quite a bit, but you're batshit crazy if you think they're filling a void and unlike several other game in the PCE's library.

The goal for them was "more pre-crash games besides Galaga and Space Invaders".   

my main point is Amiga = probably not a good idea. 

Especially if we're talking about like, Turrican FX.   

Yeah.  Anything y'know, NEC/Hudson-y
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:38:30 AM by Arkhan »

elmer

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 06:09:31 AM »
Arkhan and his acerbic words don't speak for me, and I've little doubt others here feel the same way.

Just do whatever you want or is is enjoyable, even if "enjoyable" turns out to be a simple Tyrian port. ;)
Thank you.

And "thank you", too for mentioning Tyrian ... I'm not sure if anyone has ever pointed that game out to me before.

I'm going to enjoy playing it, and the fact that it is open-source does make it a potential project, some day.  :wink:

Make games you enjoy and want to work on.  If it's fun, I'll gladly buy it and play it, giving zero f*cks that there's other similar games.
AFAIK there's nothing quite like it on the PC-FX.

The game's prequel was available on the PCE, but the 2nd game was never released on the PCE or PC-FX.

The problem is that unless I can get some art support ... it's not going to take advantage of the PCE's extra colors, and may look a bit bland.

When the game is actually running, and an artist can see that they wouldn't be wasting their time, then perhaps someone will be willing to give it a bit of "love".

I'm thinking that a PCE/PC-FX dual-boot CD would be nice ... either as a free downloadable, or as a pressed CD if the community shows enough interest in that.

The big caveat is ... it's not the world's deepest game. It was a bit of a gimmick, even at the time that it came out.

OTOH, it's simplicity is precisely what makes it a great 'starter' project.

I would have no problem making action games for the PC-FX... platformers and shooters especially.
I would love to do a good platformer or shooter on the PC-FX ... something to show that it could do more than was seen in it's game catalogue at the time.

There's a 1996 arcade game that comes to mind ... but it's a bit too complex to be a good 1st project.

Hudson have done such a great job with all the Bomberman games that there's absolutely nothing that I can think of to do to enhance one of their games for the PC-FX.

I learned a long time ago that I'm not a very good game designer ... programming is what I'm much better at.

elmer

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
I personally really wish you would cut with the borderline useless condescending, know-it-all crap and just get to the point (If you have one).  ](*,)  It's obvious you know stuff, but I'm not sure why you choose to deliver it in such a retarded manner.
I think that that could be one of the most open and honest posts that I've seen from you, so I'll respond in kind.

BTW ... we're very different people, and we communicate in different ways, and so, "yes", we've been banging heads.

Just think of it like you're talking to your granddad ... I use language in a different way from you, and if that causes you trouble, please just write it off as comments from an old fart that you can ignore.

If you look at my posts objectively, I hope that you'd find that I try to get to the point, and that I try to be encouraging and helpful ... that's my intent. I'd be sorry if I'm failing at that.

Your sig line says ...
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em
I am prepared to defend anything that I've said. And I hope that I've been quick to apologize and retract when I've been shown to be wrong.

From my POV ... if you think that I've been a dickhead to you, it's precisely been because I've been challenging you to defend your claims, and perhaps to distinguish "fact" from "personal opinion".

This was your cue to chime in a little and elaborate.  You may have picked up on this if you dialed back the condescension-o-meter a bit and would stop being so quick to assert your prior experience that I really couldn't give two f*cks about at this point.
Of course I knew it. I deliberately chose not to elaborate ... primarily because of your negativity.

I only keep on asserting my "prior experience" ... because you keep on calling things facts that my "prior experience" tells me are really opinions.

I am stating facts (PC-FX lacks action games, Amiga games are mostly beyond shit attempts at mimicking Japanese games), and speculating based off of your Amiga statement from before/your current mouse-jabbery, that you're probably not making an action game.
Actually, it's a Japanese arcade game (an action one).

Not a stunningly great game from the POV of history ... but popular enough in it's day.

Since it didn't get a SNES port until 1994 ... I feel that it's fair to take advantage of the Arcade Card if I want to, and perhaps do both a PCE and a PC-FX version with the same graphics.

But it won't be a good example of what the PC-FX can do ... it's way too simple.

As I stated ... it's a "starter" project to get some code written on both machines, and to provide some working code that can be ripped-apart to help produce libraries ... so that when someone has written them for you, you can do whatever game you like that you think fits the platform better.

This is all curiosity because

1) I am interested.
2) The PC-FX is my second favorite machine, next to the PCE.

This is why I asked how well versed you are in the library.  Are you aware of what voids need filled, and how they might be filled?

You don't really participate in the forum outside of technical crap, so I honestly have no clue what kind of experience you have with either NEC machine in terms of actual gameplay. 

My personal stance is: If you don't really have a strong passion for a platform and the current library, you really probably shouldn't be making a game for that platform until you fix this issue.
And this is something that I totally respect ... but that I don't necessarily agree with.

I think that the PC-FX got a crappy deal in it's lifetime. I've become interested enough in it that I'd like to work to help open it up a bit more so that people like you can create what you feel is right for the platform.

I'd personally like to put something on it that stretches it a bit more than the dating sims that were done during it's lifetime.

Unfortunately, the "starter" project won't be it ... that particular goal will have to wait until later. But I have to start somewhere, or nothing will get done.

Do I care for it's legacy catalogue? ... nope, not at all ... and judging by it's original sales and current popularity ... I'm not the only one with that opinion.

I believe that it was caught in a crappy business situation at the time of it's release ... leading to very few "good" games, and I think that Hudson's poor little PC-FX deserved better.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 07:03:18 AM »
BTW ... we're very different people, ..etc.etc.
Your tone sometimes comes off as condescending and "quick to assert knowledge", to me at least, and tends to be a bit dismissive of others statements/experiences. 

If you're openly admitting you're a goony old fart that talks funny, this makes it different.  You'll have to understand, in "old computer/console land", a lot of people doing that sort of tone aren't doing it because they're old/goony and just trying to be involved and helpful.  They're doing it because they're literally full of shit, and trying to deflect/cover up/annoy/put everyone around them down

From my POV ... if you think that I've been a dickhead to you, it's precisely been because I've been challenging you to defend your claims, and perhaps to distinguish "fact" from "personal opinion".
You haven't really been challenging, though.  lol.  Mostly just agitating because you see opportunity to. 

I only keep on asserting my "prior experience" ... because you keep on calling things facts that my "prior experience" tells me are really opinions.
I don't think I've called anything a fact other than Amiga having shit wannabe Japanese arcade games.  I don't think anyone is really going to refute that, though.    And the thing about controller vernacular, which are semantics not worth getting overly technical about because you've already admitted you know exactly what I meant. 

The rest (here and in SoundLand) was obviously opinion and I don't think was ever stated as anything different...I think maybe you took them as fact-statements because you're approaching things from the "I'm seasoned and know more stuff" avenue, and want to assert your stuff.

Like that attempt to engage in "battle story penis waving" where you finally discovered I'm *not* an old fogey and couldn't care less about that crap.  ;)

Anyway:

As I stated ... it's a "starter" project to get some code written on both machines, and to provide some working code that can be ripped-apart to help produce libraries ... so that when someone has written them for you, you can do whatever game you like that you think fits the platform better.
What is it? Aerofighters?  King of Monsters 2?

King of Monsters 2 would be the coolest option and would make the most use of the buttons.    I can't think of any other SNES arcade ports right now.

I'd personally like to put something on it that stretches it a bit more than the dating sims that were done during it's lifetime.

Unfortunately, the "starter" project won't be it ... that particular goal will have to wait until later. But I have to start somewhere, or nothing will get done.

Do I care for it's legacy catalogue? ... nope, not at all ... and judging by it's original sales and current popularity ... I'm not the only one with that opinion.

I believe that it was caught in a crappy business situation at the time of it's release ... leading to very few "good" games, and I think that Hudson's poor little PC-FX deserved better.

The library got hosed.  There's a ton of voids to fill in the flavor of the original library.  (Whereas the PCE library is basically a powerhouse and has a complete library, minus beat em ups but nobody feels like drawing all that art).

My serious, actual gripe is mostly stemming from your mention of Amiga.   You made a comment that hinted at putting an Amiga game on the thing.  When you've got the keys to the kingdom, and the obvious knowledge to do something, I can't imagine why *anyone* would settle on an Amiga game. 

But it sounds like you AREN'T making an Amiga game on PC-FX (thank f*ck for that), so, whatever.  You could make a tic-tac-toe/checkers combo game, and it'd probably be better than an Amiga port. 

but, didn't you just get into PC-FX like 2 months ago, though?  I don't think this is enough time to really settle on an opinion on the library.  What all have you played.  There *are* more than just dating sims.  The non dating sim games are all actually pretty damn good.  Minus Ruruli Ra Rura, which is pretty autistic.  It's cute and almost works.  It just kinda forgot to finish itself.

wildfruit

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
I think a decent magical chaise / Ys crossover is in order. You would have to fly around the field poking enemies in the arsehole with your broom. Also a decent Amiga port would go down well.