Author Topic: That Tobias f--k went after Xak III and SO II as pressed CD-ROM releases!  (Read 23810 times)

esteban

Re: That Tobias f--k went after Xak III and SO II as pressed CD-ROM releases!
« Reply #555 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:09 AM »

If your music is 100% your own, I will donate money to help cover lawyer fees to sue the f*ck out of him. I know a bit of German, too. Not that I think that'd help, but...still...

Paranoia's songs are based upon known MegaMan tunes...which is what makes them awesome :)
  |    | 

cjameslv

« Reply #556 on: August 04, 2015, 03:00:50 AM »
Cjames did seem to take it a bit far. My guess is that it was booze fueled or intentionally hyperbolic. To be fair, prof prof takes things pretty far, too.

In closing, my popcorn grows cold. Back to flamewars and tobias bashing, please.

Meh some dvx was involved on my last one but glad to see this thread back on track!

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #558 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
I don't have any major issue with random repros being tossed around FS/FT threads as long as it is being done in a reasonable price range. Acting like you're Victor Ireland's second coming though, attempting to use the forum to prop your business up, and trying to sell the stuff off at $50-80 per game though just doesn't fly with me.

I don't care if the game is on cart or pressed cd, paying that much for a repro is retarded, and asking that much for one is criminal unless you have some amazing package set up with tons of extras, and even then just depends. A repro should never ever exceed the price of a legit copy, no matter what is included as an extra. It's that kind of shit that has made the situation as bad as it is, people making the stuff, throwing in small extras, and asking such ridiculous prices.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:26:26 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Gredler

« Reply #559 on: August 04, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »
Guys, guys, it's fine. (Esteban, you have work to do!)

I don't have time to write up a good reply.

Illegal bootlegs are dangerous. I might like to get back into professional translation someday. The last thing I need is for potential clients to be able to draw a link between me and a counterfeiting operation.

Profiteering without compensating the original creators (I mean the Japanese devs) is morally repugnant. I think games are art, and I think it's for the greater good if I make translation patches to share that which cannot otherwise be shared. This is how I rationalize making patches even without the permission of the original devs. Dare I say, most original devs would probably not find that such a bad thing. However, I also think they that probably would abhor repro profiteering.

I'm not going to lie, seeing someone make money off of something I spent so much time making would burn a little, too. But I don't want to get involved in repro making myself for the above two reasons.

-------

It's a matter of either learning to live with those risks, getting around them with emulator-only hacks, or moving on to something like Playstation and Saturn games which don't have any of this.

Right now, I'm thinking that if the TED2 (or Stupid Card 4.0) works as a memory expansion, it should be a requirement for all future translation patches. That would at least cut the user base down.

Gotta go.

I have not read beyond this post. This has been a lot to read and I'm very busy starting a new job and having family visit, but I just wanted to bump this as I feel like it exposes the elphant in the room the best. Caught up :)

The original devs and publisher are not seeing a penny from these repros, which is wrong. The translations are done as  personal projects, not for commercial purposes. The fact anyone is selling these repros in this manner is repulsive, and goes against a lot that I believe in. I have worked on highly pirated projects before, and it never bothered me because I know that it means people are playing it. I don't, however, approve of someone selling those pirated copies for profit. The translators are in the same boat as the Japanese devs, profits being made both someone not involved in the project. The translators contributions to the final product were for personal reasons - not for profit. This whole subject sickens me, and I feel for devs dearly and it really surprises me that this is so highly profiled and so lightly addressed by the IP holders.

Edit: I should say, I also do not think repros are a horrible thing, especially cart based reproductions. I think that the enjoyable mechanics of playing a cartridge game warrants having hard to find or never ported games on actual cart. Aside from paying the person for their time to craft the cart and the materials necessary to make it, I agree that the cost of repros should reflect the effort and cost to make the cart not the actual game on the cart. I could see him charging a little for the materials and time to create these special editions, but their pricing obviously puts him in a position to make hand over fist profit on a product that can easily be reproduces by a laymen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:48:12 AM by Gredler »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #560 on: August 04, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
So far Game Sack is the only channel I've heard of which actually acknowledged Tobias' history. But that's not going to discourage the kinds of collectards who are piecing together sets of CIB repros.

Game Sack is also off the list of promo items. The last set that came out... the one with Might and Magic 3 or whatever... I know Happy Console Gamer automatically got a set and My Life in Gaming automatically got a set. We didn't get a set. I thought that was funny. He must have seen our video.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #561 on: August 04, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
So far Game Sack is the only channel I've heard of which actually acknowledged Tobias' history. But that's not going to discourage the kinds of collectards who are piecing together sets of CIB repros.

Game Sack is also off the list of promo items. The last set that came out... the one with Might and Magic 3 or whatever... I know Happy Console Gamer automatically got a set and My Life in Gaming automatically got a set. We didn't get a set. I thought that was funny. He must have seen our video.

And no f*cks were given by either of you @ Gamesack I'm sure, but in Tobias's mind he really punished you hardcore. Seriously though, if you do want a set, just follow my easy 7 step program for success:

1. Make fake email and new alias.
2. Contact Tobias and tell him you heard he does really awesome repros.
3. Tell Tobias about a new convention coming up and show him a link to a actual convention, and offer him a chance to promo his items at your exclusive Pc-Engine booth.
4. Tell him you will be showing Dino Force at said booth.
5. Provide an alternate mailing address so he knows it's not Game Sack.
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #562 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
Probably doesn't help much some of the Facebook folk are bragging about buying his crap. Real cute guys.

Tatsujin

« Reply #563 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »

HAHAHA. that must had hurt him really hard.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #564 on: August 11, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »

TATS! :)
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »

TATS! :)

ESTY! where have you been? :D

NO!

where have I been? :p

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Opethian

« Reply #566 on: August 12, 2015, 02:19:37 AM »
TATS! see what happens when you stray form the herd...

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

NightWolve

« Reply #567 on: August 27, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
So a post of mine back in May just got responded to by a Tobias-defending shill today. That was the result of when this all got started and we were informing a few of the Youtube video channel guys who Tobias was.

If you couldn't persuade them on just the issue of taking the fan translation work, you at least had Tobias' past to inform them of, that is, the fact that he is a lying, criminal fraudster who started his bootleg operation with Sapphire CDs and tricked the public into believing that they were real by using a forged HudsonSoft document to bolster his claims...

So Jimmy did come here and indicate he wouldn't promote Tobias bootlegs in the future, but yeah, one of my posts to Jimmy just got responded to by this guy.

It's the usual, "STFU, or make your own repros. Don't like it, don't criticize it! I had my work repro'ed, I don't care, therefore NOBODY ELSE SHOULD CARE TOO! FEEL AS I SAY, BOY!" I believe toymachine uttered the same attitude earlier in this thread or I think it was another one, but basically it's a way to shut down criticism, much like how resellers are defended, "Don't like the price, just don't buy it, The End AKA STFU!"

Anyway, thought I'd add this clown to the thread. I'm suspicious of his claims, I almost wanna look up his name to see if he actually did mod work that was repro'd, or was he just a troll making the false claim just for the sake of argument to persuade me to "feel" the same way when it comes to hundreds or thousands of my f--king work hours...

Quote from: NightWolve
+Kyle Pittman Here's my problem with that, and there are many.

1) I don't need reminders that I have no legal rights or on legality here and even if I had a translation license, it's not like it would be respected all that much by you and others that think like this... Nothing must stand in the way of your pretty piece of "collectible" plastic, after all! You're simply exploiting technical facts and making false equivalency comparisons (no legal ownership of the game, no licensing, pirating=fan translating, etc.) to excuse his disgusting moral behavior.

If it's the product of my work hours, if it had something to do with me, and he violated my [moral] terms-of-use (which were in the ReadMe), I CAN and WILL say something about it! The world is not gonna work according to Kyle where only positive or supportive comments are allowed because he wants his pretty piece of plastic... Sorry!

2) Just as you shared your opinion in defense of a known lying, criminal, bootlegging eBay fraudster, I too will share/advance my opinion on his actions at a moral or ethical level, most especially if it had something to do with me... I expand on the details of this in point (5).

3) Your demands for conformity are useless, unconvincing and self-serving obviously. Just because you did fan hacks that got repro'ed without your permission and YOU don't care, doesn't mean I shouldn't care also and never criticize it which is what you're demanding! How silly! In other words, just because YOU feel that way, doesn't mean I and everybody else should *feel* that way! "HEY MAN, I don't care, therefore YOU shouldn't care either!!! RAWWWRRR!!! Feel as I say!!!!" It's not your work hours, brah! You don't have a say on how I am gonna feel about it, positive or negative! And if I only had positive things to say, you'd welcome it!!

4) You say, if you don't like it, do it yourself or never release the work to the Internet. You didn't finish your sentence though, what you're really saying in the end is STFU! That's almost the same technique greedy resellers use to shut down negative comments or criticism: Don't like the price, don't buy it, otherwise STFU! Don't like your work being repro'd, don't release it, STFU, OR, make your own repro! Blah blah blah!

No, I'll choose another option which is protest: I will inform the public that he's a lying, criminal sneak cheat that snuck around, put my work hours on his pressed CD releases so he could make them more valuable, and that he contacted nobody so that he could pocket every last penny for himself 100%!!! People SHOULD know who they're doing business with despite defenders like yourself that would try to protect, defend, obfuscate, basically tell parties whose work he took to, "STFU, look the other way, too bad, it's the Internet, get over it! It's GONNA happen, so don't bother criticizing it, ever!"

5) Seriously, before you get in the tank to defend somebody, you might want to get your facts straight. Tobias/PCEWorks perpetrated fraud against the public and cost people hundreds of dollars when he started his repro/bootleg operations... He did this by 2 ways: a) He pressed CD-ROMs of a game called Sapphire designed to look as close to the original as possible and claimed they were authentic, b) He forged a document purported to be by Hudson Soft to bolster his claims they were real, the notion that they were some last official batch that was made, but wasn't released because of slight quality issues (his CD pressing company/plant screwed them up in reality).

Having created bootlegs and selling them on eBay, he evaded anti-counterfeit policies for a time and hundreds of people bought his copies under the belief that they were real! Just recently, somebody paid $600 or so for a sealed copy of Sapphire that he thought was real, only to open it and find out it was one of Tobias'/PCEWorks fakes! Both sellers and buyers were tricked and honest buyers had to sell them at a loss when realizing what had happened by choosing to tell the truth!

So, Tobias/PCEWorks made out like a bandit, hundreds of people got screwed, both sellers/stores and buyers alike, and Tobias got away with it, only to come back stronger than ever, continue bootlegging other games, minus the lying since he was eventually caught! Many people are still angry and wanna see him fall!

This man should've had a something of a class action lawsuit brought against him for fraud by all his victims: These were honest people doing business on eBay looking to a buy a real copy of Sapphire, but were defrauded by him... Now we see him promoted on Youtube channels like it was all hunky dory as if it never happened... That is a problem and to the extent I can speak and remind people of his past doings, I can and shall, so DEAL WITH IT!

6) Instead of defending him and other repro makers, gosh golly, I dunno, maybe levying criticism that sneaking around and taking other people's work and using it against their terms isn't the best way to do things, maybe telling people like Tobias that contacting the parties involved is the better route to go, instead of telling the fan groups to just shut up, let the people have their pretty plastic at his greedy premium pricing structure when he escaped licensing fees from NEC, the game publisher, as well as leaving the fan group out of any % cut he's making from his profiteering... What a novel idea, to actually criticize him, the bootlegger, instead of the fan group!

7) I hate to break it to you, but some fan translators are boycotting in protest and ceasing to release work because of bootleggers like Tobias, so the community then pays a price because of him, less free fan translations, but yeah, at least you got your pretty piece of plastic, right ?? Yaaaaay!!!!!

Now, for the record, I'm not one of those fan credo anti-profit type ideologues. Some are well meaning in that mindset, but there are the fanatical types and it is what it is. Some of it could be bluffing threats, some serious, but it is a position a % are taking!

I myself would love to do an Ys I-IV set, if I could get consent with my team, but it's a hard thing to do when you try to do it the right way, or at the very least, the better way... If everyone in your team agreed to press a CD from the very beginning, that's the best point to have talked business. Much harder later on or if you never considered the idea to being with.

Conclusion: You can get in the tank for a lying, criminal, sneak cheat fraudster like Tobias/PCEWorks, but don't expect me to respect your opinion or you... You have revealed your character as someone who supports/defends these guys sneaking around and taking other people's work without any kind of inclusion, contact, permission, etc. And that's the same thing that happened to me with my former criminal translators (Jeff Nussbaum and Thomas Lipschultz) and a company called +XSEED Games! People like that are disgusting and so are those who get in the tank for them as far as I'm concerned!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:47:54 PM by NightWolve »

Black Tiger

« Reply #568 on: August 27, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
If Kyle isn't just a troll, I'd point out that Tobias has marketed the translated games as the work of the PCEWorks "team of super fans". He isn't just profiting off of various companies' games and various translation teams' work, he's also taking credit for the translations and (surprise!), once again purposefully being very misleading with the marketing of his "products".

Isn't taking credit for the work of others at least frowned upon within the translation/hacking community?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

elmer

« Reply #569 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
If Kyle isn't just a troll, I'd point out that Tobias has marketed the translated games as the work of the PCEWorks "team of super fans". He isn't just profiting off of various companies' games and various translation teams' work, he's also taking credit for the translations and (surprise!), once again purposefully being very misleading with the marketing of his "products".

Hahaha ... if you're a fan-translator doing a translation "For The Love Of It" ... doesn't that automatically make you a part of PCEWorks "team"?  :-k

Tobias says "For The Love Of It" right on their front page!  :wink:

------------------------

Now ... just for the sake of argument. Let's consider the possibility that I take a look at helping out on one (or maybe two) PCE fan translations that people would love to see get finished.

I don't have any desire to see Tobias just turn everyone else's hard work into pretty, but expensive, "collectors" sets.

Is there anything that can seriously be done to avoid that?

A translation could easily be made to only work with a TED2 (or CD Stupid Card) ... but would that really change anything?  :-k

Tobias seems to have gotten smart enough to just sell the original game in his boxed-sets, and then give away a matched looking "translated" CD to go in the same case.

WTF can I do to discourage that ... except to just not help with any PCE translations in the first-place?   :roll: