Author Topic: WTB Coryoon  (Read 1718 times)

munchiaz

Re: WTB Coryoon
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
Def get a everdrive. It is the same thing as playing the actual HuCard on the hardware.

poponon

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 01:30:26 AM »
Maybe I'll talk to a certain someone about that chu - or maybe I'll ED it, but I'd like to use real everything for the review, at least real hardware. I'm not a fan of emulation so much. Especially for review purposes, I don't want to come off like I endorse that sort of thing. :|

ED isn't emulation though. Why not endorse it?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:27 AM »
ED isn't emulation though.

Sure it is; it's hardware that emulates real hueys.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

poponon

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:47 AM »
ED isn't emulation though.

Sure it is; it's hardware that emulates real hueys.

There's no difference with a flashcart versus real cart on the screen though. Both are running the same rom on original hardware

I should have been more specific in that you're not emulating the console hardware, which is all that really matters. I would say more that it replicates a real cart rather than emulates.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:16:00 AM by poponon »

poponon

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 04:53:57 AM »
I thought this deserved another post,  talking on another forum about this and had someone explain it a bit more eloquently :

"Emulating a cart" doesn't make any sense, really. There is no difference between an Everdrive and an actual cart, technically speaking. Underneath that cart, the same ROM is there, waiting to be loaded and played. Using an Everdrive just means you have a cart that can load any ROM you want, and each ROM is assumedly ripped straight from an original cartridge. There is exactly zero difference.

Emulating the actual hardware is a HUGE difference. Emulators are built by reverse-engineering the console itself, through all manner of hacky shit. Honestly don't know how people do it entirely, but I assume it's probably by analyzing ROMs and seeing what system calls are made and what the expected behavior is, along with knowledge of the hardware itself.

The caveat is that these emulators wind up being inaccurate in several ways, whether it be framerate, sound, resolution, etc. Whatever it is. Emulator accuracy is a huge deal to a lot of people, and the best way to avoid having to deal with an Emulator is just to play on the original hardware to begin with.

Someone else also chimed in:

Emulation typically means you're attempting to mimic or recreate how the original hardware handled specific code (the game). The game is the same, whether it's on an SD card, flash cart, USB drive, etc. The important part is how that code is interpreted. Emulator typically involve a combination of reverse engineering, documentation, guesswork, and general programming skill. Not to mention that the emulator can produce wildly different results based on the hardware and OS it's running on. The game code is always the same, and is never technically emulated.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »
Whether it makes sense to you or not, a flash cart most certainly is a device that emulates the functionality of the hardware found in original cartridges.  It's less apparent in the case of PCE hucards, which are comparatively simple, but it's quite obvious when it comes to NES or SNES games (flashcarts don't have dozens of real add-on chips on board).

poponon

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 05:39:07 AM »
Whether it makes sense to you or not, a flash cart most certainly is a device that emulates the functionality of the hardware found in original cartridges.  It's less apparent in the case of PCE hucards, which are comparatively simple, but it's quite obvious when it comes to NES or SNES games (flashcarts don't have dozens of real add-on chips on board).

It doesn't imitate the function of an actual cart though, it replicates it. The console hardware is reading the exact same data as an actual cart. Seems more of a semantic issue to me - I think it's most common that people refer to emulation in gaming as console hardware reverse-engineering to run on new PC hardware. This introduces error to the game playing experience. So I don't think "emulation" would be the proper way to describe flashcarts.

And for the special chips, flashcarts are getting better. SD2SNES almost covers all of the special chip games now. If someone was so inclined they could butcher carts for the original special chips and make a flashcart with full compatibility from my understanding. For those few that aren't compatible, then they may be worth buying until flash carts catch up. Usually not considering the price though, imo.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:49:12 AM by poponon »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 06:03:20 AM »
Look up the definition of hardware emulation.  :roll:

The fact is that original cartridges do not function in the same way that flash carts function.  Something like a chucard replicates an original huey, whereas a flashcart emulates them.

poponon

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »
Look up the definition of hardware emulation.  :roll:

The fact is that original cartridges do not function in the same way that flash carts function.  Something like a chucard replicates an original huey, whereas a flashcart emulates them.

In integrated circuit design, hardware emulation is the process of imitating the behavior of one or more pieces of hardware (typically a system under design) with another piece of hardware, typically a special purpose emulation system.

[-X
Look up the definition of imitation. Flashcarts replicate the function of original carts

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 06:27:50 AM »
Right, because hucards boot to a menu, use microcontrollers that allow them to read serial memory, and load games into onboard ram instead of allowing the console to run it straight from the rom.  :roll:

Flashcarts replicate the functionality of the original cartridge, true, but they do it by emulating the hardware found in said cartridges.  Did your mom drop you on your head a lot?  :lol:

poponon

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 06:37:18 AM »
Right, because hucards boot to a menu, use microcontrollers that allow them to read serial memory, and load games into onboard ram instead of allowing the console to run it straight from the rom.  :roll:

Flashcarts replicate the functionality of the original cartridge, true, but they do it by emulating the hardware found in said cartridges.  Did your mom drop you on your head a lot?  :lol:

Resorting to childish name calling and eye rolling. Very mature moderators around here.

How does loading the game from ram versus rom change the end function of the hardware at all? I guess you could say that you are "emulating" the hardware of an original cart, but this only goes so far as to provide data for the original hardware to read. The exact same end result. Nothing "emulated" about the game playing experience.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:48:22 AM by poponon »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:49 AM »
Resorting to childish name calling and eye rolling. Very mature moderators around here.

I roll my eyes at you because your continued ignorance and seemingly purposeful misuse of dictionary definitions is frustrating, and I didn't actually call you a name at all.  It's called levity, chief, or maybe just a joke at your expense.

How does loading the game from ram versus rom change the end function of the hardware at all?

If you mean the end function of the console, it doesn't matter at all, but that's not the point.  Whether or not it's transparent to the console doesn't change the fact that the flash cart itself is hardware emulating a real cart.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:49:42 AM by Necromancer »

poponon

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 06:54:46 AM »

I roll my eyes at you because your continued ignorance and seemingly purposeful misuse of dictionary definitions is frustrating, and I didn't actually call you a name at all.  It's called levity, chief, or maybe just a joke at your expense.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's ignorant to define flashcarts as emulation given the use of this word in the gaming community as a whole. It could send misinformation to readers. Also your comment "Did your mom drop you on your head" is pretty offensive.

pulstar

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 07:04:36 AM »
Can a mask rom be emulated? I suppose so, it is an active component (not passive such as a resistor or whatever) in a circuit . Does it really matter? No. Somebody wants to buy a Coryoon here (and actually play it rather than have it in a collection) :lol:...surely that's more important than semantics.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »