Author Topic: WTB Coryoon  (Read 1716 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: WTB Coryoon
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
... it's ignorant to define flashcarts as emulation given the use of this word in the gaming community as a whole. It could send misinformation to readers.

You still don't understand the difference between hardware emulation and software emulation, eh?  Don't fret, someday you'll get a clue.

Also your comment "Did your mom drop you on your head" is pretty offensive.

Indeed.  On the offense-ometer, it's one step ahead of claiming your dad buys his suits off the rack and just behind calling someone a doody head.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
I thought this deserved another post,  talking on another forum about this and had someone explain it a bit more eloquently :

"Emulating a cart" doesn't make any sense, really. There is no difference between an Everdrive and an actual cart, technically speaking. Underneath that cart, the same ROM is there, waiting to be loaded and played. Using an Everdrive just means you have a cart that can load any ROM you want, and each ROM is assumedly ripped straight from an original cartridge. There is exactly zero difference.

Emulating the actual hardware is a HUGE difference. Emulators are built by reverse-engineering the console itself, through all manner of hacky shit. Honestly don't know how people do it entirely, but I assume it's probably by analyzing ROMs and seeing what system calls are made and what the expected behavior is, along with knowledge of the hardware itself.

The caveat is that these emulators wind up being inaccurate in several ways, whether it be framerate, sound, resolution, etc. Whatever it is. Emulator accuracy is a huge deal to a lot of people, and the best way to avoid having to deal with an Emulator is just to play on the original hardware to begin with.

Someone else also chimed in:

Emulation typically means you're attempting to mimic or recreate how the original hardware handled specific code (the game). The game is the same, whether it's on an SD card, flash cart, USB drive, etc. The important part is how that code is interpreted. Emulator typically involve a combination of reverse engineering, documentation, guesswork, and general programming skill. Not to mention that the emulator can produce wildly different results based on the hardware and OS it's running on. The game code is always the same, and is never technically emulated.

:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

Gredler

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
I thought this deserved another post,  talking on another forum about this and had someone explain it a bit more eloquently :

"Emulating a cart" doesn't make any sense, really. There is no difference between an Everdrive and an actual cart, technically speaking. Underneath that cart, the same ROM is there, waiting to be loaded and played. Using an Everdrive just means you have a cart that can load any ROM you want, and each ROM is assumedly ripped straight from an original cartridge. There is exactly zero difference.

Emulating the actual hardware is a HUGE difference. Emulators are built by reverse-engineering the console itself, through all manner of hacky shit. Honestly don't know how people do it entirely, but I assume it's probably by analyzing ROMs and seeing what system calls are made and what the expected behavior is, along with knowledge of the hardware itself.

The caveat is that these emulators wind up being inaccurate in several ways, whether it be framerate, sound, resolution, etc. Whatever it is. Emulator accuracy is a huge deal to a lot of people, and the best way to avoid having to deal with an Emulator is just to play on the original hardware to begin with.

Someone else also chimed in:

Emulation typically means you're attempting to mimic or recreate how the original hardware handled specific code (the game). The game is the same, whether it's on an SD card, flash cart, USB drive, etc. The important part is how that code is interpreted. Emulator typically involve a combination of reverse engineering, documentation, guesswork, and general programming skill. Not to mention that the emulator can produce wildly different results based on the hardware and OS it's running on. The game code is always the same, and is never technically emulated.

In all honesty, this thread has sold me on getting an everdrive for my Turbo.. The research begins

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
In all honesty, this thread has sold me on getting an everdrive for my Turbo.. The research begins

Perhaps you're already aware, but there's a new version of the ED coming soon.  It won't make much difference for playing existing games, but it'd be worth waiting for for homebrew and translations (hopefully).

Gredler

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »

Perhaps you're already aware, but there's a new version of the ED coming soon.  It won't make much difference for playing existing games, but it'd be worth waiting for for homebrew and translations (hopefully).

Thanks, that is good to know. I believe I had read this somewhere, but it's great to get affirmation about that. Even if I didn't want the new version, the older version may drop in price due to this new release. I'll keep an eye out. I saw a review of this game, Coryoon, on Turboviews, and it made me interested, but upon seeing the price of this game an some of the other PCE games, I imagine the ED is the only way to afford playing most of the games on the system. Thanks!

poponon

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »

Still wondering why you don't support flashcarts

poponon

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
... it's ignorant to define flashcarts as emulation given the use of this word in the gaming community as a whole. It could send misinformation to readers.

You still don't understand the difference between hardware emulation and software emulation, eh?  Don't fret, someday you'll get a clue.

I take it you don't leave these forums too often, but in the retro gaming community as a whole where emulation normally denotes console emulating, likening flashcarts to emulation is like saying burning CD's for turboCD is emulation. You could stretch this to say that playing Turbo is "emulating" experiences from your childhood.  It's an issue of semantics - flashcarts shouldn't be referred to as emulation despite technically emulating cart pcb components. There is nothing "emulated" about the playing experience. it's the exact same as using a real cart. I know this might be hard to understand when you're so deep into a "collection" of sorts

Indeed.  On the offense-ometer, it's one step ahead of claiming your dad buys his suits off the rack and just behind calling someone a doody head.

So where does that leave the offender?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:15:24 PM by poponon »

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »

Still wondering why you don't support flashcarts

I'm not really against them, it's a nice way to play games that are otherwise financially unattainable . However, I'd like to own a physical copy to show in the videos up close. Just for flare and presentation. Just the format I'm gonna do my videos in. I have no qualms with the Everdrive or people using them, I'd rather use that versus emulation on some other console or PC.

poponon

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

I'm not really against them, it's a nice way to play games that are otherwise financially unattainable . However, I'd like to own a physical copy to show in the videos up close. Just for flare and presentation. Just the format I'm gonna do my videos in. I have no qualms with the Everdrive or people using them, I'd rather use that versus emulation on some other console or PC.

I see what you mean and definitely agree. Do you have a youtube channel to check out?

HailingTheThings

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
However, I'd like to own a physical copy to show in the videos up close. Just for flare and presentation. Just the format I'm gonna do my videos in.

The quicker you admit you want a physical copy to rub your dingus on, the quicker you'll get one, methinks.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
However, I'd like to own a physical copy to show in the videos up close. Just for flare and presentation. Just the format I'm gonna do my videos in.

The quicker you admit you want a physical copy to rub your dingus on, the quicker you'll get one, methinks.

Help me procure one and you can watch.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »

Browse ya and ebay everyday for hours until one in your price range appears. There eye helped.

*turns off lights and sparks cigarette*

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 03:15:58 AM »
So where does that leave the offender?

Right here, laughing at the guy that will never understand what hardware emulation is.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 04:30:27 AM »

Browse ya and ebay everyday for hours until one in your price range appears. There eye helped.

*turns off lights and sparks cigarette*

Okay, I am gonna hold out my hand and you can place Coryoon in it. K? Only after, brown chicken brown cow.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:13 AM »

I see what you mean and definitely agree. Do you have a youtube channel to check out?

I do but currently there's no PC Engine content there yet, I am having trouble getting game recording devices to recognize the component video feed from my Duo. I have a component dongle for PC, an Elgato recorder and a Hauppauge Rocket portable and none of these things see the feed. And I really don't want to use composite because it looks like absolute sh!t. Anyone go any ideas? In any case, here's my newest youtube channel, it's still a baby:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4pMpNXpErJcmWG8PWgPZsg