Author Topic: Spreading the PC-FX word  (Read 2460 times)

16bitgium

Re: Spreading the PC-FX word
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
I'd totally buy Atlantean if you ported it to the PCFX. Just add an extra layer of scrolling and a FMV video. That is how SEGA used to do it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:02 PM »
i joked about that, actually.

the FMV would be shot in my friends swimming pool.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »

HD H2O

|    | 

cjameslv

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 03:17:51 AM »

Underpants

16bitgium

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »
Do you think these secreenshots are good enough? It is the only way I can make some without using an emu.( Which I won't do. IF you like em I can make some of other games and different levels etc...

http://16-bitgium.tumblr.com/post/116816353175

CPTBadAss

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 07:19:17 AM »
I had the chance to try out a PC-FX at Louisville Arcade Expo and didn't get it. It kinda seemed like a 3DO to me. The game that I played or tried to play (whose name eludes me) seemed to focus on a movie story line thing. I couldn't actually figure out how to *play* the game. And this seemed to be a running theme both in Louisville and at the Milwaukee Gaming Classic. It seemed more of a novelty than actually playable. I guess to get excited about it, I'd want to see an easily playable game. A shooter, racing game, or fighting game seem to fit the bill in my opinion. And it would have helped immensely to have someone sit down with me and get excited about the PC-FX.
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:06 AM »
We could do some sort of "Learn Japanese/play PC-FX" crossover.  Get some simple less wordy text games (Team innocent?) and push it as a way to educate yourself WHILE playing some fun games?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 07:04:07 AM »
Do you think these secreenshots are good enough? It is the only way I can make some without using an emu.( Which I won't do. IF you like em I can make some of other games and different levels etc...

They're a bit too blurry.  How are you grabbing those?

CPTBadAss

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 07:07:37 AM »
We could do some sort of "Learn Japanese/play PC-FX" crossover.  Get some simple less wordy text games (Team innocent?) and push it as a way to educate yourself WHILE playing some fun games?

I'd actually be really into that. That sounds like a good time.
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

esteban

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »

They're a bit too blurry.  How are you grabbing those?

I believe he is taking pictures of CRT television.

:)
  |    | 

elmer

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
I believe he is taking pictures of CRT television.

Haha ... yep, ancient technology on display!

FWIW ... I figure that you might consider using screenshots of Zeroigar with SamIAm's English in-game text, rather than the Japanese text (re. my earlier post about scaring away people who can't read Japanese).

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »
I just mash the screenshot key if I remember, while playing the stuff.

It's funny.  I start the emulator up to get screenshots, and somehow forgot to do that because I just start playing stuff.

duhrrrrr

16bitgium

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
An acient videocard in an old macintosch

filler

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
It seemed more of a novelty than actually playable. I guess to get excited about it, I'd want to see an easily playable game. A shooter, racing game, or fighting game seem to fit the bill in my opinion. And it would have helped immensely to have someone sit down with me and get excited about the PC-FX.

An arrow shot straight through the heart of the ethnically Japanese anime fan circa 1996, the PC-FX has arrived to bring all your animated multimedia dreams to life! Play your favorite PC games like Ah! Megami-sama, Power Dolls, Pia Carrot e Youkoso, and Doukyusei now with animated cut scenes and full CD quality voice acting! Catch up on all your 1996 anime news with the digital magazine series Anime Freak FX inluding digital video interviews, bathing suit photo sessions, mini games with voice actresses, and an original OAV series only available via these titles called Prisim Knights! The system brings amazing full screen full motion animated video scenes and CD quality music to charming simulation and RPG titles, briming with large colorful sprites! Enjoy hours of captivating single player text heaving gaming in your living room, no PC required! Just hook it up to your television that you already own. There is even an available mouse!

The PC-FX is an anachronism, and in that way it is like the 3DO.  At the time not everyone had a computer, there was no digital video on the internet, "multimedia" was a thing, and 2D might have still mattered. NEC played the system's strengths to the audience they thought would embrace it the most. There are some truly enjoyable experiences on it, definitely worth playing if you like what they bring to the table, but you have to know Japanese. Otherwise there are about 5 games you can play and have any fun and none of them are really worth owning the system for. It just is what it is.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »
It seemed more of a novelty than actually playable. I guess to get excited about it, I'd want to see an easily playable game. A shooter, racing game, or fighting game seem to fit the bill in my opinion. And it would have helped immensely to have someone sit down with me and get excited about the PC-FX.

An arrow shot straight through the heart of the ethnically Japanese anime fan circa 1996, the PC-FX has arrived to bring all your animated multimedia dreams to life! Play your favorite PC games like Ah! Megami-sama, Power Dolls, Pia Carrot e Youkoso, and Doukyusei now with animated cut scenes and full CD quality voice acting! Catch up on all your 1996 anime news with the digital magazine series Anime Freak FX inluding digital video interviews, bathing suit photo sessions, mini games with voice actresses, and an original OAV series only available via these titles called Prisim Knights! The system brings amazing full screen full motion animated video scenes and CD quality music to charming simulation and RPG titles, briming with large colorful sprites! Enjoy hours of captivating single player text heaving gaming in your living room, no PC required! Just hook it up to your television that you already own. There is even an available mouse!

The PC-FX is an anachronism, and in that way it is like the 3DO.  At the time not everyone had a computer, there was no digital video on the internet, "multimedia" was a thing, and 2D might have still mattered. NEC played the system's strengths to the audience they thought would embrace it the most. There are some truly enjoyable experiences on it, definitely worth playing if you like what they bring to the table, but you have to know Japanese. Otherwise there are about 5 games you can play and have any fun and none of them are really worth owning the system for. It just is what it is.

lol every PC-FX that is sold today should come with a copy of some sort of "How to Japanese" manual.

Boundary Gate, to me, is one of the better starting points for games that are texty.   That or Team Innocent.