Author Topic: Spreading the PC-FX word  (Read 2461 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Spreading the PC-FX word
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:30:43 AM »
The recent Game Sack video discussions, and me revisiting my semi-half-baked PC-FX page that I've yet to finish has got me thinking.

If we're going to spread the word and encourage more people to possibly *try* the system, what sort of approach do we think needs to be taken?

I was planning on brief commentary (that ends up being enthusiastically biased half the time) for PCFXTOO, but maybe at this point, that is not what is needed for the game library, since brief commentary on the games already exists and has sort of been done to death. 

I don't intend to change the layout, because it's pink/purple/pretty, but do you think the "comments" section might be better suited to full in depth reviews only, as opposed to brief paragraphs in most cases?

The original idea was just to become a centralized location for brief overviews of the games, with boxart/screens/maybe videos, but, maybe it needs to be something cooler.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Spreading the PC-FX word
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:11:38 AM »
I think brief overviews and commentary are helpful, as not everyone wants to read an in-depth review.  I suggest doing something like Paul's PCE Bible, with a quick summary so peeps know what kind of game it is followed by full reviews (linked if necessary) if they want to know more.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »
I think brief overviews and commentary are helpful, as not everyone wants to read an in-depth review.  I suggest doing something like Paul's PCE Bible, with a quick summary so peeps know what kind of game it is followed by full reviews (linked if necessary) if they want to know more.

That was basically the approach I was planning on.

Right down to the layout.

Because.... Paul did the layout, lol

but, I am wondering if the indepth stuff might also be a thing to have added.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »
You need someone like Spida to do some good PC-FX video reviews.  :mrgreen:

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 08:23:30 AM »
You need someone like Spida to do some good PC-FX video reviews.  :mrgreen:

Yeah.   I COULD do my own video reviews, but

1) I will just prop my girlfriends Canon T3iwhatever camera up on a book and ramble, followed by fighting with Windows Movie Maker to make a thing I can upload.

2) The review will boil down to

f*ck YEAH YUNAFHGNGNG PC FX THIS IS AWESOME.   LOOK AT THE CARTOONS.  HUUUUUUU.

Even if it's not even Yuna.    The problem is, the RPG reviews will completely fall on their faces if the reviewer is unaware of the story. 

I'd be curious to do side by side reviews from someone who can read the story and someone who can't, just to see how much the story impacts someone's impression of a game.

You've all seen my Aetherbyte videos.  That's the peak of my talents with video editing because I don't really like doing it. 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
That's why I said good reviews.  :P

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »
hey hey, biased reviews are GOOD

for getting people amped up about crap. 

\o/

I'm too lazy to do a massive indepth review of a game, though.    People tend to just skim/glance/look for the */5 ratings.

filler

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
For starters people need to play the games. I have 62 games, but I've played like 10 of them. :P What about something like a book club where there's a particular PC-FX game every 2 weeks, or every month or something? Then everyone that plays it submits their thoughts in a blurb on the message board, or gets together in Google hangouts or something and discusses it? That way there's a variety of perspectives and opinions.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »
Honestly I think anyone that would have a real general interest in the PC-FX will discover the system by themselves sooner or later.  It is never going to be a ''system respected by the masses'' it is simply too niche.  It will always have a small cult of fans though.  I have a Japanese friend that absolutely adores the Atari Jaguar, he doesn't just collect, he plays all the games.  I see it as a similar thing, people outside of Japan that can appreciate the FX will always be a tiny number, but those that can will give it praises non-stop.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »

Honestly I think anyone that would have a real general interest in the PC-FX will discover the system by themselves sooner or later.  It is never going to be a ''system respected by the masses'' it is simply too niche.  It will always have a small cult of fans though.  I have a Japanese friend that absolutely adores the Atari Jaguar, he doesn't just collect, he plays all the games.  I see it as a similar thing, people outside of Japan that can appreciate the FX will always be a tiny number, but those that can will give it praises non-stop.

So, you are saying that XaviX will remain a niche console alongside the PC-FX?

I can see that. :)

|    | 

cjameslv

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »

Agreed on just linking to full reviews. Until you really have their attention, brief overviews of each title is alot easier to pull them in...bit by bit  muwahahaha :evil:

elmer

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
If we're going to spread the word and encourage more people to possibly *try* the system, what sort of approach do we think needs to be taken?

I'll give you my opinion ... but I don't think that you'll like it.  :-k

For any newbie that doesn't already know about the system (and so isn't already prejudiced by its abject failure) ... you've got to catch their interest very, very quickly.

So a single main page with the top 3 or top 5 PC-FX games, lots of nice screenshots, and a few lines (no more than 1 paragraph) on why someone has to play this game.

Your site can have full reviews/info/etc ... but if you don't get their curiosity on the 1st page, then you'll have already lost 95% of them.

Then the game has to be fully playable by your target audience ... i.e. it's got to be in English ... so it has to have a translation available ... or to be more precise, there has to be a pre-translated iso available somewhere easily found (i.e. there's a link on your page).

Anything apart from that is just preaching to the choir.

AFAIK, there's the Pia Carrot finished translation (but if you feature that, then you'll look like a sad pervert) ... and various work-in-progress translations that aren't finished.

If I were to offer advice ... it would be for people to provide whatever help/encouragement they can in seeing that those translations get finished and made available.

I was personnally horrified to read SamIAm's thread on the Zeroigar translation http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10837.0, and to see just how much wonderful work had been done ... only to see it all tail off and get stalled.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:07:19 AM by elmer »

esteban

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »

I'll give you my opinion ... but I don't think that you'll like it.  :-k

For any newbie that doesn't already know about the system (and so isn't already predujiced by its abject failure) ... you've got to catch their interest very, very quickly.

So a single main page with the top 3 or top 5 PC-FX games, lots of nice screenshots, and a few lines (no more than 1 paragraph) on why someone has to play this game.

Your site can have full reviews/info/etc ... but if you don't get their curiosity on the 1st page, then you'll have already lost 95% of them.

Then the game has to be fully playable by normal people ... i.e. it's got to be in English ... so it has to have a translation available ... or to be more precise, there has to be a pre-translated iso available somewhere easily found (i.e. there's a link on your page).

Anything apart from that is just preaching to the choir.

AFAIK, there's the Pia Carrot finished translation (but if you feature that, then you'll look like a sad pervert) ... and various work-in-progress translations that aren't finished.

If I were to offer advice ... it would be for people to provide whatever help/encouragement they can in seeing that those translations get finished and made available.

I was personnally horrified to read SamIAm's thread on the Zeroigar translation http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10837.0, and to see just how much wonderful work had been done ... only to see if all tail off and get stalled.

Most projects never actually come to fruition in a timely manner. Eventually, though, I think a lot of PCE and PC-FX will eventually* become a reality.

*give or take 10 years
  |    | 

elmer

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Most projects never actually come to fruition in a timely manner. Eventually, though, I think a lot of PCE and PC-FX will eventually* become a reality.
*give or take 10 years

Starting projects is fairly easy. Getting projects finished is hard. Getting projects finished in fan-developers' spare time after a hard week at work is brutally hard. I get that, I honestly do.

But IMHO, I don't think that there's any realistic chance of "encouraging more people to possibly *try* the system" without them being able to fully enjoy the best games that the system has to offer ... which means, in their own language ... which is English if you're targeting the majority of North America.

That's the opinion that I don't think is going to be popular.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
For Elmer's suggestion, I could just take the current page of games and put <3 pictures next to the HOLY SHIT ONES that people need to play ASAP.

and then just put a collage montage thing up on the front page of all the shit people are missing.   Or maybe a video montage instead.  Similar to:

https://youtu.be/g2eH3vYbdGo?t=178

I like the play/discuss idea, too.

Not sure if I would do Google hang outs though because I generally don't like talking in person/on the internet.

I was the guy on the Vent server that never talked on Ultima Online because f*ck talking!

I have a Facebook page for PCFXTOO where people could theoretically talk.  Or we could just make threads here, lol.

I forget how many PCFX games I own now.  I almost have all of them, last time I remember.

I have played all of them at least for a little.  Boundary Gate, Nirgends, and Zeroigar are my favorites.   And First Kiss Monogatari.

FKM is super stupid cute.   

and Yuna because Yuna.

I do fear that it's a bit too niche for anything to really catch on.

Fortunately, between myself, Elmer, and hopefully Rover (?) , there might be some sort of "Hey we have games you like" thing going on.

If we just make some action games for the thing, people will be like OH. SHIT. 

THERE ARE ACTION GAMES BESIDES THE 94009403409$ ONES NOW?

I saw, Filler, that Detective Ladies is in the works for translation?  That's awesome.

Once I get the ball re rolling, I intend to link to all the translations on the respective game sites.