Author Topic: Zeroigar Translation Thread  (Read 3556 times)

SamIAm

Zeroigar Translation Thread
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

It's finally happening. Thanks to elmer's generous (and skilled!) hacking contributions, the Zeroigar translation is moving out of limbo and into reality.

The FMV is fully subtitled and working. The in-game text is fully translated, with a finalized English font and print routine, and it's all synchronized with the speech. The power-up screen that you see after dying or beating a level is all in English, thank goodness. Even the important text in the title screen is in English now!

It all works on real hardware and in Mednafen alike. The only things that remain are a couple of bits and pieces in the Normal/Trial mode screens.

Long ago, members here made mock-ups of the "Zeroigar" above the title screen.
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10837.msg204630#msg204630
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10837.msg204476#msg204476

There are a couple more places where artists could make English graphics. For example:

I think everything but the numbers there is actually just graphics, not printed text. Elmer will have to weigh in on the details, but if you are interested in helping, please let us know.

Also, I would like a few people to do play testing, preferably on real hardware. If you are interested, please let me know. I have a couple people lined up, but I'd like to get a couple more.

I shouldn't say we are going to be finished by any particular time, but we are very close. Stay tuned!

NightWolve

Re: Zeroigar Translation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »

Approved!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:46:20 PM by NightWolve »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:32:23 AM »
Looking good!  It'll be nice knowing what's going on.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

CPTBadAss

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 03:02:56 AM »
So I really don't know much about PC-FX so please be gentle. When SamIAm finishes the translation, he'll put in on a CD or flash card and one could play it on the PC-FX? Or is this an emulator only kinda deal?
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

SamIAm

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:34:27 AM »
So I really don't know much about PC-FX so please be gentle. When SamIAm finishes the translation, he'll put in on a CD or flash card and one could play it on the PC-FX? Or is this an emulator only kinda deal?

The PC-FX does not have any kind of copy protection. All you'll have to do is burn an ISO, and you can play this on real hardware.

It also works in Mednafen. Unfortunately, Magic Engine-FX does not run the game properly. Also, beware that many keyboards are limited two pressing only two buttons at once, and this is often not enough for this game.

16bitgium

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:34:36 AM »
So awesome serious tumbs up!

Kommando1981

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
AWESOME NEWS!!!!

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
It's looking fantastic! Thanks so much for your hard work!

I definitely wanna play this on my PC-FX someday, but my house is currently being renovated so I don't think I could get my system pulled out in a timely enough manner to volunteer for playtesting. But I wish all you guys the best of luck in finishing it off!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 02:28:43 AM »
I'd volunteer to playtest, but I suck and you'd end up with testing of just the title screen, opening sequence, first level, and maybe up to the second level mid-stage boss (on a good day).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SamIAm

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:11 AM »
Anyone, and I mean anyone, can beat this game if they're willing to keep at it. And I'm not talking about the long term, either.

There are three things about Zeroigar's gameplay that I think non-Japanese players are prone to missing:

1. The points you earn are actually like experience points, and your ship levels up frequently throughout the game. That's what that starry black-background screen is all about. Every time you level up, you gain stronger shot power, more armor capacity, and more subweapon ammo capacity. Your level never goes down. If you keep playing indefinitely, you will level up until you are at god-like strength.

2. The powerups you collect during the stages give you more firepower in a sense, but this is different from the "Power" variable that goes up when you gain a level. The powerups you collect make you fire more bullets, but the "Power" stat that goes up with your level determines the strength of each individual bullet fired. If you're at Level 10, you're almost guaranteed to be stronger than you were at Level 1 even if you aren't firing as many bullets.

3. Use the Wind Cannon subweapon. Someone posted a clever walkthrough of Lords of Thunder that just said "Use the Earth Armor". This is similar. Anytime the enemies are getting thick, press that subweapon button. Just trust me, it works wonders. It doesn't drain very quickly, either.

So the moral of the story is, keep playing, because you will level up and get stronger, and just losing a bit of power because you got hit/died actually doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:51 AM »
Wow awesome news! Ive been a little turned off on the game partially because i didnt understand how to play it properly. I would be happy to test it out on my pcfx for you
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

esteban

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
I have been swamped with Real Life. Otherwise, I'd be playing this right now!

|    | 

mickcris

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
Awesome.  I have played this game a bit, but it would be nice to know what was going on.  I had no clue what the different modes were on the title screen.

elmer

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
Awesome.  I have played this game a bit, but it would be nice to know what was going on.  I had no clue what the different modes were on the title screen.

Me, neither.

Before hacking the translation into the game, I had no idea of just how good it actually is, and how nice the story is.

I'm glad that when we're finished, a non-Japanese-speaking audience will finally get a chance to fully appreciate the game.

The "Normal Mode" translations are now in, and there's just the 2 "Trial Mode" screens to do.

I'll move further actual "development" talk into the "development" section ... where I'm hoping that someone will volunteer to help with a few of the art things that it would be nice to change.

SuperPlay

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 01:06:39 AM »
Great news, thanks for the update :-)