Author Topic: Zeroigar Translation Thread  (Read 3571 times)

elmer

Re: Zeroigar Translation Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 08:03:19 AM »
There is probably no shortage of enterprising folks who would be perfectly happy to burn a disc, print a manual, and sell it for a modest profit.

Where there is a market ... there will be someone who will take the opportunity to cater to that market. IMHO, that's basic human history.

Back in the 80's there were plenty of market stalls with bootlegged copies of home computer games on tapes and discs ... right next to the bootlegged music tapes.

Publishers used to send people around to spot the sellers and get the police to confiscate the counterfeit copies.

Those sellers just moved somewhere else for a while, then came back in a few weeks.

The only things that have changed over the years are the products, and the venue ... the sellers and their customers are still the same.

Call me crazy, but I think we should contact Tobias and tell him preemptively that we don't want him to make a bootleg of Zeroigar. Naturally, that won't necessarily mean he won't do it, but it does mean that he would tarnish his reputation further if he went through with it.

That seems worth doing, as he does seem to have been putting in a fair bit of effort to gain a good reputation with his target market (who don't know/care about the source of his "memories").

I think that no matter what we provide, most people either aren't going to be able to put together a nice-looking home-made game, or they aren't going to want to try. That is exactly where a bootlegger could say "Hey there! Scared to try this on your own? Check out what I made! Yours for ($$$)."

Agreed, there will be lots of people like that ... and there always will be ... and if there are enough of them that want something enough to pay for it, then someone will appear to sell it to them.

We can't stop that, in the same way that companies haven't been able to stop bootlegged music, counterfeit perfume, watches, jeans, etc.

But we can do something for those people that are willing to make some effort, but don't have the talent to make it look nice by themselves.

Making bootlegging uncool is definitely the key, but I think the most effective way to do this would be to adopt an unwavering and vocal stance against it.

Hahaha ... that strategy hasn't proved to be particularly effective against drugs, teen smoking, teen sex, speeding on the highways, cheating on taxes, etc!  :wink:

But you're absolutely right ... the stance does need to be taken.

I love this community, and I would be happy for anyone who would like a pretty disc and manual to have one. However, it seems a very slippery slope. If we make and sell a CD, then who are we to say that someone else shouldn't? I don't think that talking about profit margins would convince bootleggers that we aren't hypocrites.

Hahaha ... I think that we've already both got a foot on that slippery slope, and that the ground is already shaking somewhat in regards to hypocrisy ... when it's clear from the nature of the questions in our posts that neither of us owns an original copy of Zeroigar!  #-o

But your basic point is absolutely right, and I actually lost sleep thinking about this some more ... there's a line here that I personally don't want to cross.

I don't want to have any sales of the translated Zeroigar CD that uses my code that doesn't have the agreement of all the parties that are involved, specifically including the original copyright holders ... that goes against the nature of what we've tried to do here.

Printing and selling our own discs, even if only at-cost, on the other hand, I fear would have the reverse effect of what we want.

Agreed, you're right. I was wrong to suggest it as a possibility. Take it as a momentary lapse in judgement.  :oops:

For a little perspective, you might enjoy looking through this thread and the other threads linked within it.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17617.0.html

Thank you, that's an interesting thread!

I think that the one post that stood out to me was from tomaitheous (aka Bonknuts, here) ...

Quote from: tomaitheous
Did a lot of work to get Megaman up and running on the PCE. A ~lot~ of hours went into that. Of course, I never intended to sell any of them; I don't own the rights to the material that is Capcom's. But it did suck, knowing someone else was making money off my work. I was offered money (share) or if I wanted it removed. I declined the money; there's no way I could take it even if I wanted to.

I think that that's exactly how we both feel about the Zeroigar translation.

Quote from: tomaitheous
One could easily make a case/manual/cart - but leave the cart shell empty. Let the people that want the translated game, in a nice fancy case, buy a flash card and put it in the new cart themselves.

I think that the closest that we're likely to get is to actually make the files for the manual/inserts/etc available, and know that we've given people a way to produce a great version for themselves if they're willing to put in the minimal effort.

It does make it easier for Joe SixPack to just burn/print a few copies and sell them on eBay ... but if we have a nice PDF manual with a page or two on the issues of for-profit-bootlegging in it, then I think that we're doing as much as we can to educate the fraction of end-users that will accept the message.

At the end of the day, I'd like people to be able to put together a professional-looking package of the game that really showcases for English-only speakers what it is that the original developers created, and all the hard work that we've put into translating it.

I hope that we can focus more on those good people who will appreciate and enjoy the contribution of everyone who was involved in making the game, rather than aim our focus on those selfish folks who will take advantage of the situation for their own profit.

elmer

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »
I like the idea of creating a large-format manual/poster (simply because it is kool).

I could easily create a standard-sized version of the manual as well.

COMPROMISE: I think we could have a blurb, tastefully placed in the manual, that simply educates lks about DIY ethics. As I have said in past discussions, the punk/indie bands in the 80's knew that their records would eventually end up in mainstream shops at grossly inflated prices, so they attempted to educate the "ignorant" consumer with basic info.

Something along those lines sounds good to me!

If we were to move forward in this direction, then are there large-format cases easily available?

I'd kind of hate to have to take apart an exisiting PC-FX game just to use the box.

I guess my own sympathies lean towards elmer's approach to bootleggers...we have to (1) educate folks and (2) make it easy to create nice stuff without need for profiteering bootlegger.

I like the DIY spirit of our community, since it is empowering to produce stuff on your own. That's why I made this page:

http://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm

I hadn't seen that, it's a very cool page!

Now I'll have to go an print some of those out for my TurboDuo games.   :)

That's exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking of.

Making bootlegging uncool is definitely the key...

Maybe for you, but there's plenty of people here (including translators/hackers) that have no problem with bootlegs when max profit gougetards are removed from the equation.

We all get to decide where we draw our own line on what is basically the unauthorized and illegal duplication of copyrighted works ... whether they're seen as "abandoned" or not.

I think that, at the end of the day, SamIAm and I have pretty similar opinions ... but IMHO, others are welcome to have different ones, and it's all shades-of-grey.

We all agree that the max-profit guys are the ones that are well into the "black", and should to be avoided.

filler

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »
Something worth considering. I recently suggested specifying a Creative Commons license for translation patch releases (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/) such as "Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND" or "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike CC BY-NC-SA" on another forum.

Info on marking a work with a CC license: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Markin ... CC_license

and specifically marking a derivative work:
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Markin ... ative_work

elmer

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 05:22:57 AM »
Something worth considering. I recently suggested specifying a Creative Commons license for translation patch releases (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/) such as "Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND" or "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike CC BY-NC-SA" on another forum.

Thanks for the links and the suggestion. I'm sure that there are lots of very long debates on this subject on romhacking.net and many other forums.  :wink:

The CC "BY-NC-ND" or potentially the CC "BY-NC-SA" (if I go ahead and release my part of the project as Open Source) seem like basically good licenses ... but ...

Lawyers love vague wording based upon intent ... it furnishes them with big houses and shiny cars.

The CC NonCommercial clause (the legalcode version, which is the only one that actually counts) defines NonCommercial as ...

NonCommercial means not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation. For purposes of this Public License, the exchange of the Licensed Material for other material subject to Copyright and Similar Rights by digital file-sharing or similar means is NonCommercial provided there is no payment of monetary compensation in connection with the exchange.

Apart from the consideration that we're much more concerned with the physical reproduction of games for commercial purposes than charging for downloads ... isn't "primarily intended" just a bit too vague and open to interpretation?

For instance ... taking PCEWorks as an example, just because they're the easiest to point to that people here know ... PCEWorks says "For The Love Of It" right on the front page of the website.

He's preserving gaming history, right? He's just charging what he needs to to cover the costs of making those beautiful boxes and manuals and trinkets that the YouTube "reviewers" are swooning over ... and honestly, the actual CDs are pretty much put in for free. Look, he's even given away CDs to people that have asked, and payed for the shipping! He's a paragon of virtue, a true shining knight in a world of crass commerce!

Anybody is free to feel that PCEWorks may really be "primarily intended" for "monetary compensation", but it'll cost you $1000/hr to get someone to argue that "intent".

<sigh>

But some legalese needs to be put in, and perhaps the public perception of the intent is all that's needed to curtail the worst of what the community feels is "profiteering" ... whatever that means in people's minds and different circumstances.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:37:17 AM by elmer »

elmer

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »
Some more updates and pictures ...

We'd missed one of the Trial Mode results screens ... so that had to be fixed.

We're still playing around with the text to try to get it more readable on certain levels, like the one below.

If you look carefully, you'll also see that the Weapon Power icon has changed a little.

Basically ... polish, polish, polish.

filler

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »
Just want to say I like the yellow text with black shadow. I've always thought those classic yellow subtitles are the most readable against changing backgrounds.

xelement5x

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
Just want to say I like the yellow text with black shadow. I've always thought those classic yellow subtitles are the most readable against changing backgrounds.

I agree, it also gives me a bit of nostalgia for those fan-subbed anime tapes I would watch/swap back in the day.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

elmer

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2015, 03:52:56 AM »
Well, I think that you're both going to be happy ... it looks like we are going to go with the yellow-on-black text ... it does have a really nice feel to it.  :)

Thing's are currently delayed while I track down, and try to fix, a bug in the original Zeroigar code that's randomly (and rarely) messing with SamIAm's lovely new videos.

elmer

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2015, 06:22:18 AM »

There have been more changes to the Repair Screen to make it more consistent with the other screens.

Thanks to Mednafen's author, we tracked down why the the Sakuraigar Mode story screens weren't displaying properly in Mednafen (it was yet another bug in the Zeroigar code).

We're trying to get the subtitled Title Song video inserted on to the CD so that everyone can post karaoke videos of themselves on YouTube!   :wink:

esteban

Zeroigar Translation Thread
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2015, 06:27:36 AM »

There have been more changes to the Repair Screen to make it more consistent with the other screens.

Thanks to Mednafen's author, we tracked down why the the Sakuraigar Mode story screens weren't displaying properly in Mednafen (it was yet another bug in the Zeroigar code).

We're trying to get the subtitled Title Song video inserted on to the CD so that everyone can post karaoke videos of themselves on YouTube!   :wink:

¡Jesus Christo! 

:)
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »
Ah, you got Ryphecha's help with this too ? Nice! This after she tracked down a way to access the hidden Ys IV Debug mode, previously only known to Asian PCE fans. Rare talent coming together around here that would've been great years ago to get more projects moving along!

elmer

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2015, 06:00:14 AM »
Ah, you got Ryphecha's help with this too ? Nice! This after she tracked down a way to access the hidden Ys IV Debug mode, previously only known to Asian PCE fans. Rare talent coming together around here that would've been great years ago to get more projects moving along!

I'd never seen the sidebars on the Sakuraigar Intro screens in Mednafen, and was surprised to see them appear when I finally got to see the game mode on a real CD.

When I sent Ryphecha a savepoint so that she could actually unlock that game mode, she pointed out that Zeroigar was setting one of the background size registers to an illegal value.

I suspect that Rypecha probably knows the PC-FX hardware better than anyone else on the planet at this point!

Once I knew what was wrong, it was easy to find out where the game was setting the bad value and fix it.

My part of this translation wouldn't have been possible without Ryphecha's hard work in writing Mednafen.

Her great generosity in making it Open Source, has let me customize it for my own personal preferences as a debugging tool.

I really do hope that more PCE/PC-FX programmers will be willing to make some of their tools freely available under Open Source licenses so that we can all build upon each other's work rather than having to constantly reinvent the wheel.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
looking good guys! I got my PCFX back from my friend and look forward to playing this when it's ready!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

elmer

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »
For anyone that doesn't go there ...

SamIAm recently unveiled the Zeroigar project on romhacking.net, and announced our projected release date ... August 8th.

That's the 18th anniversary of the game's original release.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20071.0.html

elmer

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
It's been a while since this thread had a nice new screenshot so ...

As we're approaching the release date, we're adding in some things that we didn't originally feel that we were going to be able to do.

One of those things is adding soft-subtitles to the level name screens.

I hope that people like them.  :)

[EDIT]

Fix deleted photo. This is why I hate external links!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:51:18 AM by elmer »