Author Topic: Shenmue 3 kickstarter  (Read 1953 times)

Gypsy

Re: Shenmue 3 kickstarter
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »
Yeah condition doesn't matter as much when it's a case of people in a mad rush to play the game. Hell yours in in better shape than one I sold for $60 shipped on Ebay but that was literally the day after the announcement.

vmorr

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
PS4 physical copies now available for $60 pledge. Looks like it'll have a special case or something.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283532

sirhcman

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
So now Sony needs to crowdfund to get games made? Pretty disappointing. I will not be backing this since Sony is behind it, they have plenty of money to waste on everything but their gaming division? I always heard that this was one of the few successful parts of Sony's portfolio so why do they need to crowdfund for something like this?

TR0N

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
Teaser out for the game.Before any one freaks out on how the characters faces look,yu suzuki has stated this is a early build.I guess this teaser was put up to assure the game backers it is coming along.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:50:34 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TheClash603

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 12:24:26 AM »
Apparently I am easy to please, because I thought the game looked really nice.  There's been quite the backlash from people over the character models, which were then stated to be temporary.  I'm torn if that's true, if they were actually temporary the trailer should be started with some sort of disclaimer.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 08:46:20 AM »
Teaser out for the game.Before any one freaks out on how the characters faces look,yu suzuki has stated this is a early build.I guess this teaser was put up to assure the game backers it is coming along.

He's doing for Dreamcast?! Shit, I'm in!

Oh wait...that's...a...PS4?

Yeah............

Punch

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
anyone that thought this was going to be a 3d graphics hallmark for this generation is crazy. I'm glad that they're actually finishing the story for once though.

Shenmue 3 won't be the end of the series, Yu Suzuki says

SignOfZeta

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
What Shenmue 1 and 2 were is a thing that doesn't exist anymore. Most of what it was trying to do is now done with most hit games. More detail given to every dumb object in the world than you'd ever be able to appreciate or experience to the extent that it makes the world seem both intimate and infinite. Also "realism".

The thing is, a lot of people got tired of that shit before they found the sailers. I was a fan, personally, and enjoy all of the first two games. The second one did a great job of being the same as the first but with nearly all the annoying crap fixed. However I'm pretty sure that out of the dozen or so people I know locally that owned a Shenmue game at some point...I think I'm the only one that cleared either of them.

How does a mega budget game with no fans survive? You either have to make this shit fluid and fun and get the sales or make it this thing where you wander, molocule by molecule, through the perpetual dusk of 80s nostalgia with the mindfulness of a 100 year old monk, generating very poor sales and never having the revenue to build the world as complex as you want it to be. 

It's not that I want it to fail, I just don't see what "success" would look like. Will it be glacially paced and wooden? If not, is that a good or a bad thing? Are we seriously going to keep going with that shitty fighting system? A gimped Virtua Fighter with QTEs? It could actually play well, like Devil May Cry or whatever but...that would just be completely f*cking wrong, to me anyway, and with what looks like PSP graphics? Who wants that? Keep in mind that there aren't enough actual Shenmue fans to make this game pay the rent (aka: this is a failed series for a reason) so at least half of these players are "normal" gamers we're talking about. Assasins Creed and Mass Effect fans. What will satisfy them and OGs and sell more units than the old games?

We'll see, I guess. For sure I was sad to see the series die when the end of Shenmue 2 was so incredibly cool and thought provoking. Will Ryo avenge his dad or will he...grow out of it, basically, as he matures beyond simple motives and outlooks? I cared at one point but do I want to really know now? I too have different goals than I used to. What game do I want to play in order to learn the end of the story?

I hate almost all new games but I do play new installments of old series. Do I actually have the patience to play a *real* Shenmue 3? One with controlls *barely* better than Resident Evil? I don't know. Probably not. Do all the kick starters? Seems doubtful. It seems doubtful that a new generation of kids will emerge, in love with shitty controlling games that were once state of the art but now look 15 years out of date because everything from Japan does now.

I don't know what I would want from this. What do you want from this? A box with a 3 on it, obviously,  but beyond that?

Keep in mind, I may be a hater but I'm the a$$hole that bought Shenmue 1 and 2 (not on XBox you f*cking traitors) and beat them both mutiple times 15 years ago or whatever. So it's not like I don't love Yu Suzuki and all that but...the Dreamcast is dead, friend. It was the saddest thing in the history of gaming, but it sure did happen and you can't go back.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:04:43 PM by SignOfZeta »

Gypsy

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
I actually have EU copies of both Shenmue games. I wanted the 2nd to play with the original audio of course, but I picked up the first to make it easier to import save data. I've cleared both of them at least 4 times each, it's hard to remember exactly. So, I really do want to enjoy Shenmue III, we'll see.

Actually I also grabbed a Japanese copy of the first game just for the jukebox cd. And I mean, why not, hardly anyone gave a shit about Dreamcast back when I bought it, let alone Japanese imports. I have a substantial Dreamcast library and it barely cost me anything. Prices of US copies are getting pretty dumb on some games, I blame Nintendo Age users. My Japanese copy of Project Justice plays the same, oddly enough. Awhile back I dumped some US games to element and replaced them with Japanese copies.

Anyway as for what I want out of this game, I just want to see the story end. The ending of 2 was a ball buster. You bring up some fair points like these games are really slow especially by modern standards. I loved it but I see lots of people hating on it now. After they spent entirely too much money tracking down US copies in 2016 because it was what youtube told them to do and all their gamer friends on facebook were doing too.

TR0N

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
Update now sega is doing a hd version of shenmue 1&2.This was in talks for awhile now and even hinted,so it's not a surprise.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Punch

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »
Update now sega is doing a hd version of shenmue 1&2.This was in talks for awhile now and even hinted,so it's not a surprise.

Can't wait to play Autistic Martial Artist Simulator 1 and 2 again. Especially since I bought merchandise.

I hate almost all new games but I do play new installments of old series. Do I actually have the patience to play a *real* Shenmue 3? One with controlls *barely* better than Resident Evil? I don't know. Probably not. Do all the kick starters? Seems doubtful. It seems doubtful that a new generation of kids will emerge, in love with shitty controlling games that were once state of the art but now look 15 years out of date because everything from Japan does now.

You know you got me thinking, that's exactly why I have current gen consoles in the first place. Modern game design is nice and all but I feel like they homogenize a lot of unique traits those games could have. I like japanese games being japanese games, clunky and experimental, a good amount with medium to low budgets, it's nice to have variety as in PS1/SAT onwards until PS3/360. Not all games need to be triple A smash hit like.

But that's just me and it seems very, VERY hard in this era to sell to a mainstream audience an imperfect game or something that doesn't take itself seriously and isn't afraid of being goofy and gameish. It seems like the Yakuza series, for example, gets discovered as a hidden gem obscure series by the press and gamers in every single western release. There's praise for a month then everyone forgets about it again.

And let's be honest here, Shenmue 3 will be just as goofy as its predecessors, everyone who faked excitement on E3 when the words "Shenmue 3" appeared (but didn't recognize the iconic theme bgm in the first few seconds of the video lmao!) will at best buy it, play for a week or two and return it for gamestop credit. I don't see the momentum for a Shenmue 4 or significant fanbase growth, imo.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:25:33 PM by Punch »

Gypsy

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 03:16:43 AM »
As long as Yakuza gets good enough sales I don't care how it happens lol.

I actually didn't get hot and heavy into the series until 2013 when I went back and played 1-4. Ever since it's been my favorite modern Japanese gaming thing.

0 I think was a fairly big success but the series still has a bunch of very Japanese things in it that will gate out a fair number of people that play video games.

At this point I'm just glad that we mostly don't have content cut out anymore. But of course Sega has fallen back to their old ways and it looks like Kiwami 2 has some cuts. Though in this instance it's not removing parts from the US release as it is just REMOVING THINGS FROM THE GAME that were in the original. Entire areas even. Very disappointing.

I agree with you on Shenmue 3 unfortunately Punch,we aren't going to see Shenmue 4. So it's unfortunate that Yu Suzuki thinks it will happen, because that means this b movie story won't see its completion in 3. I'll still play it though, ofc.

Edit: As for the homogenization of modern gaming yeah it's easier to be safe and take those guaranteed checks. It's pretty crazy how many Ass Creed games there are at this point. I got bored and couldn't be bothered to finish the first one, yet we are like 20 games deep now? Blah.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:21:16 AM by Gypsy »

seieienbu

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
I'm desperately hoping that Yu Suzuki has the common sense enough to know that this isn't likely to start off the franchise into the 16 part epic he envisioned over 20 years ago.  The thing that I want most out of Shenmue 3 is closure to the story.  The thing that I want absolutely least would be an ending similar to Shenmue 2 that resolves nothing but sets up for a sequel which I doubt I'll ever receive.

I'm excited about Shenmue HD, certainly.  I'm greatly looking forward to seeing Shenmue in 16x9 with high resolution graphics.  I recall reading that the remaster would have both English and Japanese which also seems really cool. 

With all the good stuff said?  I'm honestly worried that releasing Shenmue 1 and 2 would actually hurt sales of Shenmue 3.  Yeah, I love the games but even in their day Shenmue didn't exactly sell super well.  I feel that worst case scenario is that Shenmue 3 has a cliffhanger ending and it doesn't sell due to the mystique behind the games going away when the populace at large gets a chance to actually play a game that they've never played but were still interested by.  Part of the appeal of Shenmue 3 seems to me to be people excited to play something that they missed out on.  There's a small but vocal group that has been clamoring for Shenmue 3 for years and that's likely the best marketing you could ever have.  I really hope this doesn't turn out anything like, say, Mighty #9.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
I can't wait.  I never did get to play through 1 & 2.  I played them both for hours & hours when I purchased each one for Dreamcast, but had other games I was working on at the time, so, never got back to them.  Are they keeping the original dub I wonder?  I don't know that it would be in their budget to redo all the voice acting.  It'd be great if they had 2 english versions.  1 that's nice & professional sounding, & well, the other one, which I enjoy, but, partly out of nostalgia & partly cuz it tickles my funny bone.  I also can't recall if there's been any talk about how the dub for 3 will be.  If they keep the originals from 1 & 2, it might be weird if 3 sounds really nice & polished!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:27:41 AM by ParanoiaDragon »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2018, 09:54:37 PM »
That’s kind of my point. How do you do that? The shitty voices are now themselves as nostalgic as the 80s were when Shenmue was made so...do you improve that or what? Which is more authentic? You’re f*cked either way.