Author Topic: Amazing deal for a LaserActive on Ebay  (Read 1893 times)

tbone3969

Re: Amazing deal for a LaserActive on Ebay
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
The player it was based on was $300-$400 retail. It has a lot more crap in it that one did too. When you consider it was, more or less, the most powerful piece of consumer AV gear ever made $1200 or whatever isn't bad. The original price for a PC Engine with CDROM2 was $500-600. We hadn't fully enslaved China yet at that point, and also people still expected shit to last more than 9 months. So shit was "expensive". You didn't have people buying PSTVs for $40 a year after they came out and then never bothering to take them out of the box. People nowadays seem to just buy SO MUCH shit so fast that they can't even use it.

My CLD-99 had an list price of $2400 and the only game I can play on it is "WTF Was That Sound? Shit. I Hope It's Not Serious, They Don't Make Parts For These Anymore." and it's not even as fun as Power Stone.

I have zero knowledge of Laser Disc games.  Can you share a list of LD games that can be played on this Laser Disc player?  Why can't Dragon's Lair be played?  What is this PowerStone game you speak of?  It can't be the Dream Cast one can it.  Also what games are worth in the $1000s?  Thank you.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 05:48:01 AM »
The LaserActive is a console with dedicated formats. Just as you can't play a PC Engine CD game on a Sega-CD, you can't just take a random arcade game and play it in the LaserActive.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

tbone3969

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:06 AM »
What are these $1000 LA games people have talked about here?  I am genuinely curious.  The LA is one system I know nothing about.  I did dome searching online and it's hard to find a list of all the LA games released.  I even saw some Japanese games like Street Fighter 2 which I thought was really strange.  Never knew that game was on LaserDisc.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

xelement5x

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 07:22:38 AM »
What are these $1000 LA games people have talked about here?  I am genuinely curious.  The LA is one system I know nothing about.  I did dome searching online and it's hard to find a list of all the LA games released.  I even saw some Japanese games like Street Fighter 2 which I thought was really strange.  Never knew that game was on LaserDisc.

List of titles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive#Games

Where is says Region: US it was a title released in the US, though the majority of the games were released in Japan only. 

There were only three PCE based LD games released for the US, over a dozen Genesis LD games.  Oh, and Zeta misspoke, I can only assume that he means TRIAD Stone, not POWER Stone.  Easy to confuse since in the game it goes "power Power POWER!" all the time.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

tbone3969

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »

List of titles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive#Games

Where is says Region: US it was a title released in the US, though the majority of the games were released in Japan only. 

There were only three PCE based LD games released for the US, over a dozen Genesis LD games.  Oh, and Zeta misspoke, I can only assume that he means TRIAD Stone, not POWER Stone.  Easy to confuse since in the game it goes "power Power POWER!" all the time.

Got it.  Thanks for the info.  There really aren't any reasons to own this system except for the oddity factor I guess.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
Hardcore SFII fan stuff. Combo videos, stuff like that. Not very exciting. There are a bunch of these, mostly for SNK games.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »
Living here in Japan, I was able to get a complete LD game collection in just a couple years when I was a single man.  The LD games library is quite small, but I've gotten quite a bit of fun out of mine, I rgb modded my unit, and because of that it has become my main device for playing PCE/Sega on.  Is the system worth buying today?  It really depends on who you are.  Vajra 2 is a game I can play once a week, very relaxing and always enjoyable.  Hell Virtual Cameraman 2 is way way way more fun then it should be.  Even Dr. Paolo which is a terrible game is strangely entertaining with the 3D Goggles....  In the end, if it looks like your thing, you will love it.  But I would never urge someone to buy one.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

schweaty

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 12:28:05 AM »
I'm not aware of any LD games that regularly sell for $1k.  Road Avenger sometimes sells in the $500 range (way more than i can soend).  I was able to pick up triad stone for $50 a couple weeks ago.  I would like to get Don Quixote at a reasonable price and vajra 2 at some point

Punch

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 01:33:04 AM »
Hell Virtual Cameraman 2 is way way way more fun then it should be.

It can't be better than your classic video though.

xelement5x

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 03:28:06 AM »
I'm not aware of any LD games that regularly sell for $1k.  Road Avenger sometimes sells in the $500 range (way more than i can soend).  I was able to pick up triad stone for $50 a couple weeks ago.  I would like to get Don Quixote at a reasonable price and vajra 2 at some point

The games that you rarely see pop up are the incredibly expensive ones: Time Gal, 3D Australia, Goku for the LD-ROMROM, other than that most of them vary in price.  You're never going to find a game for like $5 unless it's a thrift store, but the majority of the library can be had in the $50-$150 range.  The number of titles higher than that is few, but some of them are pretty awesome (Road Blaster and Vajra Ni in particular).
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 03:52:08 AM »

The games that you rarely see pop up are the incredibly expensive ones: Time Gal, 3D Australia, Goku for the LD-ROMROM, other than that most of them vary in price.  You're never going to find a game for like $5 unless it's a thrift store, but the majority of the library can be had in the $50-$150 range.  The number of titles higher than that is few, but some of them are pretty awesome (Road Blaster and Vajra Ni in particular).
I concur, though I did manage to snag a new sealed copy of Don Quixote for $100 and Triad Stone for $85. One day I will get Road Blaster, just not today. :P

tbone3969

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
Hell Virtual Cameraman 2 is way way way more fun then it should be.

It can't be better than your classic video though.

! No longer available

Wow this video is truly priceless.  Thanks for sharing.

InfraMan

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »
I've always been interested in the LaserActive, since I have an unhealthy love for laserdisc gaming in general. It's one of those systems that I'm kind of afraid to get into, though... it seems like it could very easily turn into a money-sucking black hole.

BTW, this is probably common knowledge, but for anyone who's interested in laserdisc games there are fantastic Japanese ports of Road Blasters + Thunder Storm LX-3 and Time Gal + Ninja Hayate for the PSX and Saturn. There's also a really cool SNES version of Road Blasters available for download, as long as you have the hardware to play it (or an emulator that will work with it).

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »
I've always been interested in the LaserActive, since I have an unhealthy love for laserdisc gaming in general. It's one of those systems that I'm kind of afraid to get into, though... it seems like it could very easily turn into a money-sucking black hole.

BTW, this is probably common knowledge, but for anyone who's interested in laserdisc games there are fantastic Japanese ports of Road Blasters + Thunder Storm LX-3 and Time Gal + Ninja Hayate for the PSX and Saturn. There's also a really cool SNES version of Road Blasters available for download, as long as you have the hardware to play it (or an emulator that will work with it).

Unfortunately the Time Gal + Ninja Hayate ports for the Saturn are pretty expensive now, going for well over $100 now. Road Blaster + Thunder Storm are a lot more reasonable though.