Author Topic: Amazing deal for a LaserActive on Ebay  (Read 1888 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Amazing deal for a LaserActive on Ebay
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »
Yeah. I noticed that. IIRC those were budget releases and didn't even have all the scenes in them. The video was the original Cinepac Saturn spec too, I'm pretty sure, so it would either be more grainy than small or more small than grainy.

I suppose it's one of those "inflation by association" things like Magical Chase.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »
Yeah. I noticed that. IIRC those were budget releases and didn't even have all the scenes in them. The video was the original Cinepac Saturn spec too, I'm pretty sure, so it would either be more grainy than small or more small than grainy.

I suppose it's one of those "inflation by association" things like Magical Chase.

Hmm, I've never heard that they're missing scenes. As for the video quality, it's definitely not LD quality but it's better than the Mega CD port by far.

Interesting tidbit I just found out recently that I can't believe I missed. The car from Road Blaster is actually the car in the garage in the first Double Dragon arcade game. Also, the helicopter in the garage in Double Dragon 2 arcade is from Thunder Storm FX. Anyone else miss this?

InfraMan

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »

Hmm, I've never heard that they're missing scenes. As for the video quality, it's definitely not LD quality but it's better than the Mega CD port by far.

Interesting tidbit I just found out recently that I can't believe I missed. The car from Road Blaster is actually the car in the garage in the first Double Dragon arcade game. Also, the helicopter in the garage in Double Dragon 2 arcade is from Thunder Storm FX. Anyone else miss this?

I've never noticed any missing scenes in the PSX/Saturn ports either, but then again I haven't played through them in a while. Now I'm curious... :-k

And holy cow, I can't believe I never made the connection with the Double Dragon games before! That's a really cool easter egg! :mrgreen:

On an unrelated note, I totally love that ridiculous opening theme song in the Sega CD port of Road Avenger. I haven't played that one in ages, and I can STILL hear the damn song in my head, lol.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
Maybe they are just missing the flipped versions of scenes? I can't remember. I was pretty sure there was something that sucked about them but maybe I'm confusing something...

SuperDeadite

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 02:58:12 AM »
Road Blaster and Thunder Storm were also released on DVD-ROM for Windows PCs.  They were ported by a doujin team, but fully licensed.  Fully patched they officially support Windows 8.  Both are excellent ports, Road Blaster even adds some exclusive features such as an optional video blurring effect for when you hit the turbo or break.  Highly recommended and pop-up for sale on amazon japan quite often.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:59:59 AM by SuperDeadite »
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

InfraMan

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 03:06:56 AM »
Road Blaster and Thunder Storm were also released on DVD-ROM for Windows PCs.  They were ported by a doujin team, but fully licensed.  Fully patched they officially support Windows 8.  Both are excellent ports, Road Blaster even adds some exclusive features such as an optional video blurring effect for when you hit the turbo or break.  Highly recommended and pop-up for sale on amazon japan quite often.

That's awesome, I'd never even seen those before! I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

elmer

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 04:04:57 AM »
Road Blaster and Thunder Storm were also released on DVD-ROM for Windows PCs.  They were ported by a doujin team, but fully licensed.

And they actually made them run on the X68030??? That's so very cool!  8)

SuperDeadite

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:07 AM »
Road Blaster and Thunder Storm were also released on DVD-ROM for Windows PCs.  They were ported by a doujin team, but fully licensed.

And they actually made them run on the X68030??? That's so very cool!  8)

The doujin group who made these have a very long history of working with the X68000.  So just for fun, yes these ports also include versions of the games programed for X68030 machines.  However it's really just a gimmick for the fans.  On a stock 030 the video runs at 7fps, if you are insane enough to own an X68060 Turbo, they will run at a whopping 14fps.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »
Well, either way, f*ck the Saturn ports then. f*ck the LA version even.

Do we know if there was a new telecine done for this or did they just cook the hell out of the LD? The later genuinely works a lot better than I though it ever would, but of course the former would be superior.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 12:38:40 PM »

Awesome, didn't even know these existed. It would nice if there was a Time Gal release but I don't see any info on one ever coming out.

johnnykonami

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
I used to want to get all of these for the Saturn.  Would be nice if there was a Steam release or something now, I would totally buy it.  Never played Ninja Hayate or Time Gal, and would gladly play more Road Avenger.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
Well, either way, f*ck the Saturn ports then. f*ck the LA version even.

Do we know if there was a new telecine done for this or did they just cook the hell out of the LD? The later genuinely works a lot better than I though it ever would, but of course the former would be superior.

Like most Japanese PC ports, they run in 640x480.  But each game video is just one long mpeg, the game uses timestamps to jump between scenes, and the sprite overlays are done by using a subtitle track.  So while I haven't tried this yet, I'm sure you could probably edit the video to your heart's content and the games would still play them.  If not, PC also has other options to help, such as adding scanlines via SweetFX. :)

InfraMan

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »
So much cool information in this thread!

On another slightly unrelated note, the LaserActive game Triad Stone was also released on the Saturn and 3DO as Strahl. I don't hear it talked about much, but I have the Saturn version and I think it's a fun game, very much in the vein of Time Gal/Ninja Hayate, etc. Plus it can be picked up for dirt cheap... always a plus! :dance:

SuperDeadite

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
Finally got off my lazy ass and did a quick recording of Road Blaster Windows.

TheClash603

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
Finally got off my lazy ass and did a quick recording of Road Blaster Windows.

But why did you let those guys kick your ass in stage 5?  I gotta see more!